The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
    I know it's my own biases - but I see it as closer to a comparison of marijuana or alcohol versus heroine in determining which is worse.

That said - both are bad and need to change.
    I had a patient last week who says he “only injects heroin. Not Meth. That shit is scary.” So, there’s one vote for Meth being worse.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
      yes. both sides are vicious right now and it's bad for the country. But arguing which is worse for me is like arguing about whether meth or heroin is worse. I am still a Libertarian at heart for that reason. Both sides are bad, although I feel strongly the president needs to be checked by at least one house of Congress. Other times I would want the Republicans to check the democrat president. I think if Trump has free reign after November we probably have no idea how crazy it's going to get, as he isn't moderating in the least. He just keeps pushing the limits of the craziness.

Everything would be much more civil and better today had Romney won, but unfortunately no one would have realized it.
      The Trump admin is crazy, no doubt. But I don't see crazy policies making it through congress. Congress shot down his health care effort. The tax cuts were a good thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
        The Trump admin is crazy, no doubt.
        The craziness is kind of a problem. Heaven help us if we have a real crisis. Any republican could have gotten tax cuts. Trump bothers very little with getting things through congress anyway. He just signs Constitutionally dubious executive orders and the Congress lets him. My problem with the GOP Congress is that they are doing very little to curb the craziness that everyone can see because they're scared of the people who show up to Trump's rallies and laugh and cheer at the sexist and racist and crazy stuff he says. There is clearly a huge culture problem and no political party is going to fix it. But having a president who is not crazy or a Congress that actually does push back in a meaningful way is a good first step.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
          If I had to pick one member of Congress I align with the closest it would be Jeff Flake. It has been that way for several years. I like the guy. i think he's sincere and his political beliefs line up with mine pretty closely. there was once a time when he was thought to be one of the most conservative members of the House when he was there, and then the Senate. He has not changed. IMO, the country's political climate has gone straight to hell instead, and it's made him look somehow like he doesn't fit the GOP anymore, which is bizarre.

I would be comfortable in a GOP full of Jeff Flakes and Mitt Romneys, but The Trumpified GOP is not a party I can have anything to do with. The dems are not going to be my home either, but I'd rather they win this time to keep the extreme wacko nutcase president in check until he's gone.

Feel free to throw rocks at me, but that's my honest opinion.
          Yeah, too bad no one on the left or right likes Flake... Maybe he can move to Utah and become mayor of Provo or something.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
            Oh brother. Not you too? Trump (like all presidents) has little impact on the overall health of the economy. And what areas he does have an impact, he's done a terrible job (tariffs, deficit, etc). The economy is great now, but Trump should get little credit for that (just as Obama should not get much credit for the economy).

But I am interested to see whether this board, consisting almost exclusively of right-leaning mormon men, agrees with your position.
            This is the tail that wags the dog of my post. You’re right that he can’t claim credit for the current boom, though the tax cuts have probably juiced it in the short term, even liberals agree. I’m talkIng more generally that he doesn’t have this attitude on the left that corpations generally are a cancer. If you don’t think that view is prevalent on the left you’re naive.
            Last edited by SeattleUte; 10-05-2018, 11:25 AM.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
              Yeah, too bad no one on the left or right likes Flake...
              Ted, that's because he's a libertarian. Everyone hates those. You should understand that. If you don't it's because you're a fake.
              Last edited by BlueK; 10-05-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• Good speech by Collins.
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                  Good speech by Collins.
                  I didn't hear it but I read the account on CNN. I agree it was good. I respect her thoughtfulness, and am comfortable with her explanation. She's a credit to the GOP.

Comment

• Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        LOL. Says the forgotten politician from an age ago.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                          also, in case it's not clear I am laughing at her, not with her.

Comment

• Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                              Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                              also, in case it's not clear I am laughing at her, not with her.
                              I just think its great that she is referencing Tina Fey's caricature.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• DoxJCmCVAAALYRz.jpg
                                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Working...
                                X