To replace or not replace a garage door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UteStar View Post
    It is a sectional garage door...and I want to get it painted before winter rolls in as well. The painting company told me that the paint job should last 5+ years at least depending on how much water/snow/wind hits it every year.

And to DDD/YOhio, no pics are coming your way. You guys are just being unnecessarily nosey - just know that it is a great door! Probably better than yours. Sorry, just being honest.
    I'm assuming the garage is attached to the house, correct? If it is then I'd definitely keep it, if it is then consider fn's words.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
      Food for thought: as long as the new door is insulated, you will see a huge improvement in energy efficiency if you have a fridge or freezer or heat and/ or cool your garage during the seasons.

You are probably right, though our current door does have a decent R-value. Not quite as good as the newer aluminum doors with insulation, but not bad.

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
      I'm assuming the garage is attached to the house, correct? If it is then I'd definitely keep it, if it is then consider fn's words.
      And yes, the garage is attached to my house. I just think the wood adds some character to it all.

Comment

are we still talking about UteStar's garage door?
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

It might be infested with termites and that's why it's not working. Have you thought of that?

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            are we still talking about UteStar's garage door?

As usual, the topics that I begin are appreciated and well, loved. People want to help me. I appreciate that. You take a UteStar post and then mix it in with an interesting topic like wood garage doors and you get magic. CUFfers like magic and want to participate. You did your best to destroy this thread with your 'Chevy Bronco' comment...but that failed.

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
            It might be infested with termites and that's why it's not working. Have you thought of that?
            Even if the door is infested with termites (WHICH IT MOST CERTAINLY IS NOT) that would not have broken the springs. Goodness gracious YOhio!

Comment

How heavy is the wood door? Do you have small children?

Newer aluminum doors are typically lighter and safer.

Plus, you could sell your old door on antique roadshow for big bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
                How heavy is the wood door? Do you have small children?

Newer aluminum doors are typically lighter and safer.

I think you helped me install my router once.
                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                  I think you helped me install my router once.
                  Router don't do as well as garage doors on antique roadshow.

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
                    Unless it has termites. Nobody would buy it then. But assuming it doesn't, how would he take a garage door on the show? I bet the transport cost alone wouldn't be worth it. Bad idea all around, Walter.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                      Unless it has termites. Nobody would buy it then. But assuming it doesn't, how would he take a garage door on the show? I bet the transport cost alone wouldn't be worth it. Bad idea all around, Walter.
                      Walter? I thought it was Wallace. WHo the heck is Walter?
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I know that people were dying for an update. I decided to part ways with my old wooden door friend. For now, I had a tasteful though generic door installed. In a few years, I will either be installing a copper/iron/gold door. It will be spectacular. Thanks for all of your insights (besides the continually crappy input from YO and DDD).

Comment

I know that people were dying for an update. I decided to part ways with my old wooden door friend. For now, I had a tasteful though generic door installed. In a few years, I will either be installing a copper/iron/gold door. It will be spectacular. Thanks for all of your insights (besides the continually crappy input from YO and DDD).
                          Generic? I thought you chose a beautiful door. The pastoral scene on the door is demonstrative of the serene spirit found within the home.

sigpic

Comment

I installed my new garage door right before Christmas. A double-sided, insulated, heavy gauge aluminum door. We love it and it is amazing how well it keeps the cold out.
                            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                              I installed my new garage door right before Christmas. A double-sided, insulated, heavy gauge aluminum door. We love it and it is amazing how well it keeps the cold out.

I have been amazed by that as well. It is keeping our garage at least 30% warmer than it did with our wood door. Though still chilly in the morning, it is very tolerable compared to what it was with our old door.

I am happy to answer any of your questions as to what it was like for me to choose to get a new garage door. I know that this is a valuable thread for most of you.

Comment

Today sacrament was ESP spiritual. The talks were nothing special, but we sang several hymns. We closed with one of my faves, The Spirit of God. As is sometimes the case, by the fourth verse, the entire congregation was singing at full fervor, almost belting out the lyrics in a way that would have made WW Phelps proud. I was overcome by the spectacle of the music and the joy in my heart. A small tear rolled down my eye. My wife, equally emotional, grabbed my hand and we shared a knowing glance with each other and instantly could read others minds: "UteStar has found his new garage door."

Indeed, the Spirit of God like a fire was burning. Amen and amen.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X