Another mass shooting. This time in a church in small town Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    If what the neighbor says about the shooter's recent behavior is true and was reported to police, I can't understand why action wasn't taken to disarm him. I'm no where near the Byron Marchant camp of "taking away all the guns", but I have no problem taking away the guns of someone who is displaying mental illness or is threatening others. If there are real barriers to that kind of action, then that is the gun control we should start with.
    I agree with this. Back to the article that JL posted, shootings committed by someone with a restraining order against them are the cause of a large proportion of deaths. This seems like low-hanging fruit.
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

If what the neighbor says about the shooter's recent behavior is true and was reported to police, I can't understand why action wasn't taken to disarm him. I'm no where near the Byron Marchant camp of "taking away all the guns", but I have no problem taking away the guns of someone who is displaying mental illness or is threatening others. If there are real barriers to that kind of action, then that is the gun control we should start with.
      I have no problem taking guns away from felons as well. It seems this guy was all three. Of course, the question is how did a felon get those guns.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

What they have to figure out is due process. Similar to a restraining order, I assume they could temporarily collect the guns from the person in question and then have a hearing to determine if he/she gets them back within a short/set time frame. Police would need to be prepared to store them for people - which would require some preparation. And you always run the risk of a crazy person giving you some of their guns but not all of them, and the police showing up actually triggering an act instead of stopping one.

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
        I agree with this. Back to the article that JL posted, shootings committed by someone with a restraining order against them are the cause of a large proportion of deaths. This seems like low-hanging fruit.
        I used to deal with folks who had restraining orders more in the past, and for some reason it seems to me that when there was a restraining order due to allegations of domestic violence, the person in question had to have a friend or family member hold their guns for them - at least temporarily. Not sure if that's still the case or not.

Comment

So it sounds like the school going on lockdown saved a lot of lives. Because he couldn’t gain entry to any classrooms he left and instead drove around town crashing into then shooting people at random. If he’d gained access to classrooms it could’ve been a slaughter.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
            So it sounds like the school going on lockdown saved a lot of lives. Because he couldn’t gain entry to any classrooms he left and instead drove around town crashing into then shooting people at random. If he’d gained access to classrooms it could’ve been a slaughter.
            Yep, those lockdown drills that everyone despises totally paid off yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
              Yep, those lockdown drills that everyone despises totally paid off yesterday.
              Everyone despises the drills?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                I don't know about EVERYONE. But my daughter does.

She was in the restroom when they did a lock down in her Jr. High. She had no idea what to do, not being in her classroom. So she went out into the hallway thinking she would run back to class. The assistant principal was in the hall and pointed at her and said "You're Dead!" with an angry look on her face. It was kind of a bad experience for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                  My wife is a junior high teacher. The kids definitely roll their eyes and complain every time they are told to crawl under their desks.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    I have no problem taking guns away from felons as well. It seems this guy was all three. Of course, the question is how did a felon get those guns.
                    that is the question. but not sure it matters what the answer is. if a felon wants a gun, he'll get a gun.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                    X