No announcement yet.

The Maps and Geography Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool I can walk a mile to a nice California island.

Though I don't understand how they are calculating this thing. Utah at 4000 ft floods, but not Florida? that is crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
      Cool I can walk a mile to a nice California island.

Though I don't understand how they are calculating this thing. Utah at 4000 ft floods, but not Florida? that is crazy.
      The Mile High City is practically flooded.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        Cool I can walk a mile to a nice California island.

Further evidence we can never trust any of UT's drive-by links. The picture is a map created by "spiritual visionary" Gordon-Michael Scallion.

In the early 1980's, spiritual visionaries and futurists provided clues to our changing planet. Often dismissed as crazy prophets, their thoughts for a new world were quickly ignored and laughed at. Gordon-Michael Scallion was a futurist, teacher of consciousness studies and metaphysics and a spiritual visionary. In the 80's he claims to have had a spiritual awakening that helped him create very detailed maps of future world, all stemming from a cataclysmic pole shift. The result, while not based on any science, nonetheless provides a vivid and compelling picture of an Earth ravaged by flooding.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• A little tricky to see on here, but the link takes you to an interactive view of the map that I couldn't paste. I was quite surprised by some of the top 5 exporters to China.

I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
            I thought this was interesting. This map shows 2008 presidential election results by county in the south. Note the blue (Democratic) band that moves through several Southern states:

This election was not unique. The area in this band is consistently more Democratic than the surrounding areas. So, why is there a band of blue counties that snake through the south? The non-intuitive answer is that this was the coastline of a shallow sea that has not existed in almost 100 million years.

What does an ancient sea have to do with politics today? On this shore was deposited the remains of countless plankton (planktons?), making the soil more fertile than the surrounding areas. More fertile soil meant more agriculture. More agriculture meant more slaves in the 18th and 19th centuries. More slaves meant larger black populations in these areas today. And that is why we can see the remains of a 100 million year old sea in today's election results.

At least that is what this article asserts. I am not familiar with the political analysis reputation of "Deep Sea News", but it is pretty interesting.

http://deepseanews.com/2012/06/how-p...old-coastline/
            Circling back to this original post, I shared this with someone last week and she responded with some of her own reading into the author's other research:

I did some clicking around and Professor Steven Dutch, whose work this article is based on, is just pure gold. He's written so. Many. Articles. I included a link to his homepage. The "science, pseudoscience, and irrationalism" link is particularly fun.

https://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/

As for his commentary on the coastline and its electoral implications, I'll just leave this quote here:

"The Coastal plain rocks slope gently seaward toward the Gulf and Atlantic coasts, a structure called a homocline. I therefore propose to call the arc of pro-Democratic counties, which is reflected in a variety of demographic trends, the Cretaceous Homoclinal Arc of Demography, which can be abbreviated by an acronym that more than anything else symbolizes the election of 2000: CHAD."

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I thought of Funk when I saw this:

http://flowingdata.com/2015/10/26/to...gorithmically/

Please don't drink and drive.

Comment

• This is cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                  I thought of Funk when I saw this:

http://flowingdata.com/2015/10/26/to...gorithmically/

Please don't drink and drive.
                  I just saw this. Nice to see my town with a disproportionately thick black path
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

• http://www.businessinsider.com/ameri...of-frosting-27

What's with "potato bug" in Utah? You tryin' to besmirch the 208's favorite food?
                    rolypolycropped.jpg
                    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                      http://www.businessinsider.com/ameri...of-frosting-27

What's with "potato bug" in Utah? You tryin' to besmirch the 208's favorite food?
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]8483[/ATTACH]
                      Like many of our quirks in Utah, it may have begun and migrated here from upstate New York.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                        http://www.businessinsider.com/ameri...of-frosting-27

I call it a potato bug. My kids call it a roly poly. It's a point of contention in the home. It's similar to that basketball game where you have two basketballs and shoot from teh foul line and have to make a shot before the guy behind you scores. I call that game "lightning" and my kids call it "knock out"
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          I call it a potato bug. My kids call it a roly poly. It's a point of contention in the home. It's similar to that basketball game where you have two basketballs and shoot from teh foul line and have to make a shot before the guy behind you scores. I call that game "lightning" and my kids call it "knock out"
                          That game is called "gotcha." As for kids' word choices...my wife is from Washington County, Utah. My kids say "car-mel" with a Southern accent.
                          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                            That game is called "gotcha."
                            That game is called “speed”. Your wife agrees with me.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                              Your wife agrees with me.
                              Well, you can't have her.
                              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                Technically, its "grease" lightening.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X