No announcement yet.

DNA check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is my sister's results, which I assume would be close to mine as well. My mom won't take the test, but she was born and raised in Sweden with all her ancestors in Sweden as far as we know. My dad, who is American, scored 40% Scandinavian as well, so it seems weird that combined with my born and raised Swede mother, it only came back with 43%

43% Scandinavia
    31% Europe West
    10% Finland/Northwest Russia
    9% Ireland
    3% Iberian Peninsula
    2% Italy/Greece
    2% Great Britain
    <1% Europe East

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
      Here is my sister's results, which I assume would be close to mine as well. My mom won't take the test, but she was born and raised in Sweden with all her ancestors in Sweden as far as we know. My dad, who is American, scored 40% Scandinavian as well, so it seems weird that combined with my born and raised Swede mother, it only came back with 43%

43% Scandinavia
      31% Europe West
      9% Ireland
      3% Iberian Peninsula
      2% Italy/Greece
      2% Great Britain
      <1% Europe East
      You are more Portuguese than Surfah
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post

43% Scandinavia
        31% Europe West
        9% Ireland
        3% Iberian Peninsula
        2% Italy/Greece
        2% Great Britain
        <1% Europe East
        So maybe there’s a reason she won’t take the test?
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Mine was very close to what expected. The biggest shock was that I had more Irish than expected and less Scottish. My wife way very different from her family lore. The family story was that her great great grandfather was a monk from Turkey that came to the Philippines and started a family. Her DNA test showed she was something like 65% SE Asia and 35% Polynesia.
          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
            So maybe there’s a reason she won’t take the test?
            You said it. We were all thinking it.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              You said it. We were all thinking it.
              My mom is super old and hates all things that interfere with her privacy. She has never been on the internet (nor has she ever touched a computer of any kind), she hates to fly and refuses to go in that new scanner that basically looks through your clothes. She is stubborn as can be and would never giver her DNA to big brother.

Or it might be what you guys are thinking. Who knows.

Comment

The most surprising thing for me with this was that my grandpa who had a very Italian last name who I always thought had a lot of Italian heritage was I guess barely Italian at all.

Doesn't surprise me at all that an "Iberian" would turn out to be high Scandinavian.

One of the very touchy things genetic counselors have to deal with all the time when a family comes in to figure out what's going on with their child and his genetic illness is that paternity is not what men have been led to believe. There is a lot more cuckoldry going on than most people realize.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post

One of the very touchy things genetic counselors have to deal with all the time when a family comes in to figure out what's going on with their child and his genetic illness is that paternity is not what men have been led to believe. There is a lot more cuckoldry going on than most people realize.
                  But that’s a different sort of comparison. It’s easy to establish whether any two individuals are related, especially as a parent and child. But it is not nearly as reliable to establish ethnic/cultural heritage.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

But that’s a different sort of comparison. It’s easy to establish whether any two individuals are related, especially as a parent and child. But it is not nearly as reliable to establish ethnic/cultural heritage.
                    Sure but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say these DNA tests are a helluva lot more accurate than most people's vague assumptions about their ancestry.

Comment

Sure but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say these DNA tests are a helluva lot more accurate than most people's vague assumptions about their ancestry.
                      Probably. Except it would be a mistake to assume grandma has been lying about her background just because the test says she has some percentage of Scandinavian genes or some such. It’s more like a parlor game than anything to rely on.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Probably. Except it would be a mistake to assume grandma has been lying about her background just because the test says she has some percentage of Scandinavian genes or some such. It’s more like a parlor game than anything to rely on.
                        huh i always just assumed it was because great gma was such a slut
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Easy to see that any two individuals must be closely related. Much more difficult to say your background is some percentage of some ethnic group.
                          Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                          When my dad first did the DNA test several years ago, it had some origins in Italy (Europe South), but that later moved to the Iberian peninsula. So they are definitely refining the results.

Here's my breakdown:

Ireland/Scotland/Wales 40%
                          Scandinavia 21%
                          Iberian Peninsula 17%
                          Great Britain 10%
                          Europe East 6%

I also thought I'd have more German ancestry because my grandmother has a German maiden name. My Europe West is only 4% (low confidence).

The biggest revelation is that I fall under the "Mountain West Mormon Pioneers" "Migration".
                          They're definitely continually refining the results. I know they try to find small villages around the world where the people have been fairly isolated from outside dna for about 5 generations to get a better picture of dna typical to that area. But then another village 50 miles away might demonstrate very different results.

I took an AncestryDNA test a number of years ago, and it came back as 49% Central European and 44% Scandinavian. A couple of years later the ethnicity estimate of that same test showed 68% Europe West, 12% Great Britain, and 9% Ireland/Scotland/Wales. I was in an early test of another ethnicity estimate recently, and it showed 68% Britain/Northern Europe, 22% Ireland/Scotland/Wales, and 7% Germanic Europe. My grandmother was born in Bavaria, and you'd think it would show 25% German, so every ethnicity model has its faults.

But my brother took a test, and it identified us as brothers, and a couple of 1st cousins have taken tests, and they were listed as likely 1st or 2nd cousins.

As for the genetic communities such as the Mormon Pioneer Migration, yeah, that's obvious to you, but there are quite a few communities being identified that people are not as familiar with, especially for those who don't have a 4+-generation pedigree chart.

Comment

What companies have you guys used? How much does it cost?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              What companies have you guys used? How much does it cost?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                              I did Ancestry.com and it was $100 or so. I don't remember the exact percentages, but I'm around 40/40/20 Western European/Scandanavian/British Isles. I assumed that the Western European comes from the Normans as my lineage all comes from the British Isles and Sweden with pretty solid documentation, but we all know there were plenty of love children in the world.
                              sigpic
                              "Outlined against a blue, gray
                              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

https://gizmodo.com/how-dna-testing-...bab-1820932637

If the messaging of consumer DNA companies more accurately reflected the science, though, it might be a lot less compelling: Spit in a tube and find out where on the planet it’s statistically probable that you share ancestry with today.

Comment

Working...
                                X