Urban Meyer or Nick Saban?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
    I agree that Meyer and Saban are 1 and 2, but I don't think that there is a clear cut case for either of them being 1 over the other.
    You're letting your love of Utah blind you. Saban has Double the NCs. Meyer can certainly close the gap, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he did, but it's a no-contest right now.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
      I agree that Meyer and Saban are 1 and 2, but I don't think that there is a clear cut case for either of them being 1 over the other.
      I think it's pretty clear.

3 in 4 years, and 4 total versus 2.

Ohio State would have been the odd man out this year, most likely.
      Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

Meyer has done miraculous things (not too strong a term to describe what he's done) in three different conferences, at schools with completely different sets of challenges. Until Ohio State he did not coach a team with a tradition and an autmatic top tier recruiting base like LSU or Alabama.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          Meyer has done miraculous things (not too strong a term to describe what he's done) in three different conferences, at schools with completely different sets of challenges. Until Ohio State he did not coach a team with a tradition and an autmatic top tier recruiting base like LSU or Alabama.
          Yes, it's incredibly difficult to win and recruit at Florida.

He did great things at Utah. He did great things at BG.

Just to equal Saban he'd have to win 2 titles in 3 years or something like that at tOSU. I won't be too bad, since the B1G is the wussiest, softest AQ conference out there.
          Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

Man, it's hard to agree with the bolded re: Florida. They were certainly not Spurrier-led when he came on board, but I don't think it's horribly difficult to recruit top athletes to Gainesville.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
              Yes, it's incredibly difficult to win and recruit at Florida.

He did great things at Utah. He did great things at BG.

Just to equal Saban he'd have to win 2 titles in 3 years or something like that at tOSU. I won't be too bad, since the B1G is the wussiest, softest AQ conference out there.
              You need to hit the history books. Florida is not Alabama. Alabama, OK, USC, Ohio State, and ND are in a class by themselves. (But as the late 3D liked to point out, ND is a unique challenge becuase the school cares about some things more than football.)
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

You need to hit the history books. Florida is not Alabama. Alabama, OK, USC, Ohio State, and ND are in a class by themselves. (But as the late 3D liked to point out, ND is a unique challenge becuase the school cares about some things more than football.)
                A strong arguement could be made to add Michigan and Texas to your list.
                "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

lol. Yeah, Florida is such a tough place to recruit and win football games.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                    Man, it's hard to agree with the bolded re: Florida. They were certainly not Spurrier-led when he came on board, but I don't think it's horribly difficult to recruit top athletes to Gainesville.
                    Especially with Bobby Bowden holding on too long and the mess going on down in Miami.
                    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

With all due respect, I think a strong argument could be made that in the last 20 years it's been easier to recruit players to Gainesville than it has been to Tuscaloosa or South Bend, and possibly even Columbus and Norman.

But last sixty years, I think your argument has more merit.
                      Last edited by Green Monstah; 01-08-2013, 01:01 PM.

Comment

With all due respect, I think a strong argument could be made that in the last 20 years it's been easier to recruit players to Gainesville than it has been to Tuscaloosa or South Bend, and possibly even Columbus and Norman.

But last sixty years, I think your argument has more merit.
                        That brings SU earlier than 1985, which as we know is when football started. Everything up to and especially including 1984 is irrelevant.
                        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                          I think it's pretty clear.

3 in 4 years, and 4 total versus 2.

Ohio State would have been the odd man out this year, most likely.
                          Are you high? If Ohio st was eligible it would have been them kicking Ned's butt last night
                          "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                            Are you high? If Ohio st was eligible it would have been them kicking Ned's butt last night
                            I actually think if OSU were eligible, it would have been 'Bama kicking OSU's butt last night. A one-loss SEC champion gets so much love in the polls, I think it would push them past an undefeated ND team who eeked out wins against BYU and Pitt in the BCS rankings. That's pure speculation, but just my .$02.

Comment

You're letting your love of Utah blind you. Saban has Double the NCs. Meyer can certainly close the gap, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he did, but it's a no-contest right now.
                              This has nothing to do with Utah. Meyer was a carpetbagger at Utah and I really have no affection for him. I did certainly enjoy his accomplishments at Utah, but I'm not a Meyer fan or a Meyer hater.

Saban has also coached in college football for longer than Urban Meyer, 17 seasons to Meyer's 11. He has had more opportunities to win a MNC than Meyer. Also, Meyer has only coached 7 seasons at a BCS school and one of those seasons his team was on probation. Meyer has only had a legitimate shot at a MNC in 6 seasons he has coached. Saban has coached 16 seasons at BCS programs including 11 in the SEC. Saban has had a lot more seasons where he had a legit shot at a MNC.

You also can't just ignore Saban's earlier coaching in making this assessment of the careers of Meyer and Saban. It is more than just counting the national championships. If Ohio State had been off sanctions this year, the national championship count may very well be even.

Saban was unremarkable at Michigan St. (6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6, 9-2).
                              Meyer was great at Bowling Green, a school that really is nothing other than the Meyer era (8-3, 9-3). Meyer also was great at Utah (10-2, 12-0).
                              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Also, to clarify I'm not going to argue that Meyer is better than Saban. I really don't care which one is considered 1 or 2. I just think it is crazy to claim that it is clear cut either way.

I also will add, Chip Kelly is 3rd on the list and he is back at Oregon. Please get us a chance to show Saban the full power of the spread-no huddle attack next year Chip. I want to see him complaining to the media again how it is unfair ad should be eliminated from the game. For the safety of the players or course, not because he can't figure out how to scheme against it.
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X