Cycling Miscellany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I think it was a road bike design first. But with the explosion of suspension in mountain bikes in the 90's there was a minority that thought it was better to suspend the rider instead of the bike frame. Some companies made suspension handle bar stems and suspension seat posts.

There were some "creative" ideas out there, like:
    Biopace chainrings, slightly oval supposedly to make pedaling more efficient.
    [ATTACH]6642[/ATTACH]
    The Slingshot bike, which flexed at the top tube/seat tube joint to proved an inchworm effect supposedly to make pedaling more efficient.
    [ATTACH]6643[/ATTACH]
    And some of the crazy weight saving tech. I remember seeing a beryllium frame.
    Ovalized chain rings made a big comeback in the peloton a couple of years ago, as i recall. I haven't seen nany soft rides yet, however.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
      Ovalized chain rings made a big comeback in the peloton a couple of years ago, as i recall. I haven't seen nany soft rides yet, however.
      I only saw them at triathlons.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Froome and others use them. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...h-entrepreneur
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Interesting. Five percent more power for me would still be almost nothing.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
            I only saw them at triathlons.
            My understanding is that UCI disallowed the Softride/Zipp 2001 style frames, so they won't be seen on tour unless that changes. Triathlon has no such rule, and old Zipp 2001/3001 frames and even the new Dimond Bike are gaining in popularity there. The aero savings are significant.
            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
              My understanding is that UCI disallowed the Softride/Zipp 2001 style frames, so they won't be seen on tour unless that changes. Triathlon has no such rule, and old Zipp 2001/3001 frames and even the new Dimond Bike are gaining in popularity there. The aero savings are significant.
              I was kidding about the soft ride. It does not seem like a good idea for the peloton, to me.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I was kidding about the soft ride. It does not seem like a good idea for the peloton, to me.
                For an ITT, though . . .
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• This looks. . . interesting.
                  image.jpg
                  www.BirdofPreyBicycle.com

Comment

• It reminds me of the Graeme Obree superman riding position except with the chain stays welded on backwards.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• I think this one is my favorite.

https://youtu.be/K_7k3fnxPq0
                      When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

• Originally posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
                        I think this one is my favorite.

https://youtu.be/K_7k3fnxPq0
                        That is an amazing video. I felt better about it after watching the outtakes afterwards but still....
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• I cringed more than usual, perhaps due to my last cycling foray, but it was great. Wish I could crash as harmlessly as he does.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            I cringed more than usual, perhaps due to my last cycling foray, but it was great. Wish I could crash as harmlessly as he does.
                            I'm sure he's had *a lot* of practice.
                            Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                            - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                            - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Levi Leipheimer tweeted out this pic the other day. Maybe it should go in the "Ouch!!!" thread instead.

Levi ankle.jpg

Comment

• http://www.velonews.com/2017/01/news...ns-vary_428264

“Having podium girls is just too much. It’s to treat them as objects, to devalue them,” Landa said. “It’s a well-entrenched custom, yet no one dares to question it. And you have to admit that the women who go up on the podium are there because they are beautiful and have nice figures, and that’s not the image you’d want to project.”
                                Gotta admit that I agree with Landa.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X