"Grimey," as he liked to be known

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    I am half way through reading football for dummies so I am almost qualified to have an opinion.
    I haven't started it yet.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      I haven't started it yet.
      Hurry up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Dude, have you ever coached flag football? Or attended a football clinic?
        Do the coaches still do a football class during Education Week?

Comment

The narrative has been that Detmer was a Holmoe hire, forced on, or rather that Sitake happily went along with, but what exactly has changed with this new hire?

Jeff Grimes: Well, this was not a job that I pursued quite honestly. I didn’t have to ask anybody to make a call for me or anything. There were just so many people that I know in and around the program that immediately went to work behind the scenes for me, recommended me for the job. It gained a little bit of steam.

I know (BYU head coach) Kalani (Sitake) a little bit, but I don’t know him well, but I know a bunch of people who do know him well. I think what happened is there were a bunch of people who talked to him about me. That started soon after he made the change there (firing OC Ty Detmer), but I didn’t talk to Kalani for a while.
          http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rou...28682e.html?33

I was ready to see Detmer fired mid-season, and I think Grimes could do well despite the fact there will absolutely be growing pains. But what is different in this scenario than in the first go around, other than Grimes has much more coaching experience in general? This looks as much a Holmoe hire as Detmer potentially was.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
            The narrative has been that Detmer was a Holmoe hire, forced on, or rather that Sitake happily went along with, but what exactly has changed with this new hire?

I was ready to see Detmer fired mid-season, and I think Grimes could do well despite the fact there will absolutely be growing pains. But what is different in this scenario than in the first go around, other than Grimes has much more coaching experience in general? This looks as much a Holmoe hire as Detmer potentially was.
            Also from that article:

I’ve been in a lot of situations where it’s fourth-and-1 and somebody says, ‘Hey, Grimey, what do you want here?’
            :swish:
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Wha??

Have you ever hired anyone? Ever? If so, did you not rely on references? Also, did you know the people you hired previously? Probably not.

You are weird.

Comment

Originally posted by originalsocal View Post
                Wha??

Have you ever hired anyone? Ever? If so, did you not rely on references? Also, did you know the people you hired previously? Probably not.

You are weird.
                I'm not questioning references etc. ... holy cow relax. It is reasonable, at this point, to question whether or not Sitake is the right man for this job, and in doing so it is important to question the narrative we have been fed about Detmer, Holmoe et al. It may well be that Sitake's hands were tied the first go-round of hiring, and that Grimes really is his hire, but based on what I read, I'm not so sure. It's likely Detmer was as much his hire as Grimes appears to be. That says something.

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                  Also from that article:

:swish:
                  :doubleswish: but of course, that might mean he didn't read the book, because looks like he's called a play on game day and not merely set plans in motion for that play on the Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday prior!

Comment

The article gives me confidence that his approaching it with th right attitude. I like how he speaks.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I'm not questioning references etc. ... holy cow relax. It is reasonable, at this point, to question whether or not Sitake is the right man for this job, and in doing so it is important to question the narrative we have been fed about Detmer, Holmoe et al. It may well be that Sitake's hands were tied the first go-round of hiring, and that Grimes really is his hire, but based on what I read, I'm not so sure. It's likely Detmer was as much his hire as Grimes appears to be. That says something.
                      Relax? I'm not the one spewing irrationalities.

Comment

Originally posted by originalsocal View Post
                        Relax? I'm not the one spewing irrationalities.
                        +1.

What's different? Really?

So - show us the article that talks about how Detmer was hired, and then - if you want - we can actually have a conversation. As it is - you're asking us to compare something that happened as confirmed by someone involved in the situation to something that you are speculating might have happened without actually providing any details as to what you think it is that might have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                          +1.

What's different? Really?

So - show us the article that talks about how Detmer was hired, and then - if you want - we can actually have a conversation. As it is - you're asking us to compare something that happened as confirmed by someone involved in the situation to something that you are speculating might have happened without actually providing any details as to what you think it is that might have happened.
                          http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/hi...pWhAzZIMr641O/

A return to BYU became a possibility for Detmer after Cougars coach Bronco Mendenhall resigned after 11 seasons to become the head coach at Virginia. Incoming BYU coach Kalani Sitake “reached out” to Detmer to see whether the former NFL quarterback might be interested in joining his staff.
                          http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/11...eisman-trophy/

Steve Young: “I was a big proponent of Tom hiring Ty. … I didn’t authorize it; I’m just saying I loved being a part of it,” Young told me last year.

Comment

I think you may be assuming too much. Just because Tom reached out to Grimes to leverage an existing relationship, doesn't mean that Kalani didn't have complete say in whether or not to consider and ultimately ask to hire Grimes for the job. We have no idea whether Holmoe pushed Grimes or recommended he be considered or something else. It's possible this is a Tom hire, but we just don't know.

Comment

Those Grimey quotes are music to my ears. It makes me want to believe he can be a solution to the problems created by Kalani happy fun time.

Comment

Originally posted by Crockett View Post
                                I think you may be assuming too much. Just because Tom reached out to Grimes to leverage an existing relationship, doesn't mean that Kalani didn't have complete say in whether or not to consider and ultimately ask to hire Grimes for the job. We have no idea whether Holmoe pushed Grimes or recommended he be considered or something else. It's possible this is a Tom hire, but we just don't know.
                                No, we don't know, but I find the narrative interesting. It's almost a built in out for Sitake, certainly as it related to Detmer, and I wonder if that same out will be available to him if BYU suffers another miserable season with Grimes running the offense? It's certainly possible. Many factors contributed to the nightmare that was 2017, namely a dizzying array of injuries and the hard truth that the defense was young and not very good. I'm not convinced that there are huge cultural problems that need to be overcome. There are racist undertones that come with talk of being too laid back, and unkempt locker rooms. Individuals advancing such notions need to check themselves. But it is also possible Kalani was too forgiving of individuals and their off-field behaviours, though despite my reputation as a hard-liner, I think a healthy amount of compassion and patience is the best approach to take.

Next season will be an adventure. The schedule isn't any easier, and the opponents they face at home do little to inspire a fan base that was left reeling.

Comment

Working...
                                X