I taught in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
    There's a picture of the Salt Lake Temple from the early 1900s that clearly shows the spittoons. (http://dialoguejournal.com/wp-conten...e_V29N03_9.pdf).
    Fascinating read. I'd never heard that story. But I could never find the spittoons in the pictures. Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
      Fascinating read. I'd never heard that story. But I could never find the spittoons in the pictures. Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for.
      See photos 87 and 89. Read the captions.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I can see the outline of the one, off to the left, in 89 but can't see the one in 87.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Thank you for sharing. I just started reading McKay: The Rise of Modern Mormonism. I appreciate the example of tolerance he was and it has made me start to look at my own tolerances for multiple viewpoints within the Gospel. I appreciate lessons that do not take the same tired approaches that have been given all our lives and that is how I try to present my monthly lessons, albeit without as much panache.
          “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Once again it would have been fun to be a fly on the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
              I can see the outline of the one, off to the left, in 89 but can't see the one in 87.
              Okay, I see the outline in 89 now. 87 is much more difficult, but I see what they are referencing.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                Once again it would have been fun to be a fly on the wall.
                Some people were very uncomfortable. And when I hit the meat bit and herbal tea issue people were fighting back - funny what happens when you poke at stuff people do instead of what they don't. Completely expected. If you actually read the linked articles, you'll see I was overselling John Widtsoe, and this was on purpose.

News of the lesson traveled like wildfire, as is the case when you have a big bottle of run on the table for all to see (there are windows in the doors). Several people have asked me for notes and a lot of people liked it - people outside of the ones who usually come up. Packed house. Two people did get up and leave - maybe for me, maybe not.
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Some people were very uncomfortable. And when I hit the meat bit and herbal tea issue people were fighting back - funny what happens when you poke at stuff people do instead of what they don't. Completely expected. If you actually read the linked articles, you'll see I was overselling John Widtsoe, and this was on purpose.

News of the lesson traveled like wildfire, as is the case when you have a big bottle of run on the table for all to see (there are windows in the doors). Several people have asked me for notes and a lot of people liked it - people outside of the ones who usually come up. Packed house. Two people did get up and leave - maybe for me, maybe not.
                  You are legend!

Sort of reminds me of my best friend's father. He ditched the church but liked the social aspect of it and the lifestyle. He ended up being the best high priest teacher around.

Comment

I remember when I taught this four years ago, it was my last lesson before they released me (I was moving). I focused for a bit on the meat thing and asked what people thought of the restriction on meat. Someone cited section 49 and immediately the ward's vocal vegetarian piped up and said "But that just contradicts it, it doesn't resolve anything." I smiled and asked the carnivore who cited section 49 what he thought of the response and he went on for about five minutes on the benefits of eating meat and how science has proven that there is no better source of protein than meat and that when eaten responsibly it was very healthy and an essential part of a balanced diet blah blah blah.

When he was done, I pointed out that scientists had also proven that those who drank a glass of wine with their dinner received significant health benefits and asked him if we could also disregard the injunction against wine. He kind of winced as saw the flaw in his logic and after stumbling over his words for a few moments it was clear he had no real answer. We then moved on to other things.

The brilliance of phippopotamus's lesson is in the conclusion. Would that all members understood the danger of making the WoW such an important cultural marker.
                    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                      I remember when I taught this four years ago, it was my last lesson before they released me (I was moving). I focused for a bit on the meat thing and asked what people thought of the restriction on meat. Someone cited section 49 and immediately the ward's vocal vegetarian piped up and said "But that just contradicts it, it doesn't resolve anything." I smiled and asked the carnivore who cited section 49 what he thought of the response and he went on for about five minutes on the benefits of eating meat and how science has proven that there is no better source of protein than meat and that when eaten responsibly it was very healthy and an essential part of a balanced diet blah blah blah.

When he was done, I pointed out that scientists had also proven that those who drank a glass of wine with their dinner received significant health benefits and asked him if we could also disregard the injunction against wine. He kind of winced as saw the flaw in his logic and after stumbling over his words for a few moments it was clear he had no real answer. We then moved on to other things.

The brilliance of phippopotamus's lesson is in the conclusion. Would that all members understood the danger of making the WoW such an important cultural marker.
                      Lol. I've loved the various takes on Pheidippides, but this one is the best so far.

Section 49 is a hilariously bad counter because it's a revelation given as a direct counter to the Shakers that some missionaries were coming against. And the new heading doesn't even hide that.

Comment

He missed the whole point: it tastes good.

Comment

Winner
                          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Lol. I've loved the various takes on Pheidippides, but this one is the best so far.

Section 49 is a hilariously bad counter because it's a revelation given as a direct counter to the Shakers that some missionaries were coming against. And the new heading doesn't even hide that.
                            sometimes I wonder if they really don't realize that they're cherry picking.

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                            Winner
                            well that's obvious, but anyone who wants to make themselves sound important cites "science", besides, tasting good is just a simpler manifestation of the same logic.
                            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

sometimes I wonder if they really don't realize that they're cherry picking.
                              They absolutely don't. We've created this powerful culture of scriptures devoid of context, in which we can take any scripture and say, "we'll, I think this means...." Most of my class this year has been spent telling people indirectly that is a load of hogwash, and that what we have is a response to specific situations and stimuli. You can't just use the topical guide, pick out a verse, and then go on your merry way justified.

Comment

I'm struggling to understand the significance of this information. Most LDS understand the WoW has evolved over time and we understand and obey it how it is currently defined by the prophet and apostles, which is pretty clear.

Comment

Working...
                                X