No announcement yet.

The Prime Rib (and other beef) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great, Shaka. Nice job. How did you make it? I usually smoke at about 200 degrees until the meat hits about 110 and then crank it up to 500 for about 6 or 7 minutes. I pull it at about 135 to 140. It has become one of my favorite meals. I usually buy mine from Costco so there is always leftovers. I will use the leftovers for chili. Good stuff. I love tri-tip. Yours looks very good.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
      Looks great, Shaka. Nice job. How did you make it? I usually smoke at about 200 degrees until the meat hits about 110 and then crank it up to 500 for about 6 or 7 minutes. I pull it at about 135 to 140. It has become one of my favorite meals. I usually buy mine from Costco so there is always leftovers. I will use the leftovers for chili. Good stuff. I love tri-tip. Yours looks very good.
      Well........the cooking wasn't perfect.

I followed the instructions of the great JL almost to the T until the pellets ran out and the smoker started getting cold. I caught it when the smoker temp was right around 90F. I fired up the smoker then turned things up to around 300 until close to the end where I turned it up a little hotter. Next time the hopper is getting filled to the brim. The rub was just the standard Traeger Prime Rib Rub.

Chilli is a fantastic idea. I've got an entire roast left over. I think it might also be really good in some pasta.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        you can see the smoke ring. the legend of Shaka is growing.

Is that tri tip a smaller, thinner cut? i wish I had tri tip for dinner
        You're welcome whenever something is smoked. I'll send you the recipe for the tri-tip rub I have. I think you will love it on a regular grill. It's sweet and makes the meat very tender.

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
          I will have to try this sometime.

Leftovers also make great quesadillas.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            I made a prime rib roast today with a inglehoffer dijon mustard, rosemary, and thyme crust. It took about three hours to do right. Oh, man! That's good merde.
            Come on, man. Photos and details please.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
              Does smoking vs grilling make a difference with regard to temperature? You guys are talking about 150-170 degrees. I pull my tri-tips off the grill at 135.
              This is beef we're talking about here and not chicken, right?
              The photo I showed above was a chuck at 145 and as you can see, it was probably medium rare. A tri-tip is not as thick as a chuck so 135 would probably be equivalent.

I wouldn't recommend the 150-170 range unless you have someone in your family like my wife that doesn't like medium rare. She is not a red meat fan so I have to humor her. It's not that big of a deal with the chucks because they still taste good and are tender. When I do steaks (on my other grill) I just cook each one to order for everyone. I am slowly converting her.

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
              Well........the cooking wasn't perfect.

I followed the instructions of the great JL almost to the T until the pellets ran out and the smoker started getting cold. I caught it when the smoker temp was right around 90F. I fired up the smoker then turned things up to around 300 until close to the end where I turned it up a little hotter. Next time the hopper is getting filled to the brim. The rub was just the standard Traeger Prime Rib Rub.

Chilli is a fantastic idea. I've got an entire roast left over. I think it might also be really good in some pasta.
              Yeah, that happened to me once early on. I always fill the hopper all the way up. No point in taking chances.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Come on, man. Photos and details please.
                It was my birthday and I had tunnel vision. I'll post photos next time.
                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I got assigned to home teach a new couple who just moved into the ward. They're from Utah and they moved here so he could study under a luthier who works in Hartsville. Late 20's, no kids, he's having a hard time with Church history, so I invited them over to dinner so we could get to know them, and they could get to know me, and I could maybe help him understand some things about Church history.

Since I got such a good deal on those prime ribs, since it's Christmas time and they're far away from home, and since I wanted to try it again (and post some photos), here's a photo after the initial 450F fifteen-minute sear.

It's coated in kosher salt, black pepper, Inglehoffer stone-ground mustard, fresh thyme, and rosemary. I split the bottom part so it didn't take 4 hours to cook.

It's currently roasting for 1½ hours at 325F. I'll post again soon.
                  "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

You are supposed to do it fat side up, bones down.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

You are supposed to do it fat side up, bones down.
                      Hmmmm, the recipe I'm following said to put the fat side down so I'll have drippings for a shallot-carrot sauce for the meat. It's the same one I tried last time, and it was good. It's too late this time--I'll try it the other way on the next one I cook.

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                        Hmmmm, the recipe I'm following said to put the fat side down so I'll have drippings for a shallot-carrot sauce for the meat. It's the same one I tried last time, and it was good. It's too late this time--I'll try it the other way on the next one I cook.
                        still looks good. are you going pink in the middle, red, or more well done?

I am going to give it another whirl for X-mas day dinner, but Im going for pink, not rare. I love rare but I think others would prefer pink.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

still looks good. are you going pink in the middle, red, or more well done?

I am going to give it another whirl for X-mas day dinner, but Im going for pink, not rare. I love rare but I think others would prefer pink.
                          Actually, after the 90 mins, it looked like the mustard crust was burning on the rib rack (temp was 155F), so I got out my tongs and flipped it. I'm going for pink. My wife won't eat anything that isn't really well done, so I'm going to sear hers in a cast-iron skillet once I cut it out. I like mine medium--I've only ever had good rare prime rib at fancy restaurants like The Chart House in the French Quarter. I am going to try to make a horseradish cream sauce here in a minute.

The menu is:

Prime Rib
                          Dill Cream Baby Carrots
                          Mashed Red Potatoes
                          Pan-Roasted Brussels Sprouts
                          Baguette

They're bringing dessert.

Comment

I hate mustard but noticed a lot of folks use it in conjunction with rub. One of the articles I read stated that the mustard cooks off or something and you don't taste it. Is this true? It's a huge leap for me to rub mustard on anything!

Comment

I hate mustard but noticed a lot of folks use it in conjunction with rub. One of the articles I read stated that the mustard cooks off or something and you don't taste it. Is this true? It's a huge leap for me to rub mustard on anything!
                              I love mustard. Yellow mustard is meh. Pretty much only good for hot dogs (and other mustards are still preferable). But good, whole-grain mustard? I can eat that by the spoonful.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I hate mustard. I use cheap yellow mustard for glue on ribs and can't taste it at all.
                                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                                X