Boy Scouts reviewing Ban on Gays ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    Maybe my son will get to do scouting after all. If they get rid of their lame gay ban, then he could do it. Of course, that might have the church drop it, just so that we could have more inanity to deal with.
    This. I might have my boys join a troop is they did this.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
      Made a minor but important clarification.

If the church does "dump" the scouting program, I wonder if they would allow local units to sponsor troops. In other words, scouting is replaced by Duty to God or some other program but local leadership still allows a BSA troop to meet in the ward building (basically a sponsor).

That would open up some interesting possibiliteis - like freedom of choice to join any local LDS sponsored troop. That would be awesome. The YM and parents who really want to participate in scouting would eventually migrate to a troop that has it together and could set parental expectations accordingly. No more Moms slowing down the Mo battlewagon just enough to kick their YM out before peeling back out of the church parking lot.

Or the LDS families that want to do scouting could all join the local Methodist BSA troop.
      I disagree with your amendment. Scouting--even as administered in non-LDS troops--is an antiquated system that hasn't kept up with the times, despite its efforts to do just that.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        I disagree with your amendment. Scouting--even as administered in non-LDS troops--is an antiquated system that hasn't kept up with the times, despite its efforts to do just that.
        I disagree. Until recently I was on the board of our council (the token Mormon). I didn't enjoy the job -- it was all about fund-raising -- but I can tell you Scouting is very focused on adapting to the times. In our area a lot of very effective things are being done, but not with the LDS troops because our system is so unique, compared to the rest of Scouting. (Also, we change and adapt verrrry slowly.)
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
          There is a religion merit badge, no? That is much more of a lifestyle choice than being gay is.
          It appears that there is not a religion merit badge...but there are some doozys.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/...ritBadges.aspx
          "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
            Or the LDS families that want to do scouting could all join the local Methodist BSA troop.
            Which they can already do...
            Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
            - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
            - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
              I disagree. Until recently I was on the board of our council (the token Mormon). I didn't enjoy the job -- it was all about fund-raising -- but I can tell you Scouting is very focused on adapting to the times. In our area a lot of very effective things are being done, but not with the LDS troops because our system is so unique, compared to the rest of Scouting. (Also, we change and adapt verrrry slowly.)
              Yeah, no better way to adapt to our times than having an old, antiquated fart on your council
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                Yeah, no better way to adapt to our times than having an old, antiquated fart on your council
                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by atheistcougar View Post
                  Which they can already do...
                  Correct. And my family growing up had personal experience with it. It did not go over well in my ward when my Mom got fed up with the poor support scouting received and enrolled my younger brother in a Lutheran troop.

I was thinking about doing the same with my sons when they reached scouting age but my Bishop talked me out of it. However, I wish I would have gone ahead with it after the ward split and I ended up in a ward that has not supported scouting very well under a by-the-handbook Bishop.
                  “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                  "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

I agree with this.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                      It appears that there is not a religion merit badge...but there are some doozys.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/...ritBadges.aspx
                      It's a shame the BSA discontinued the Rabbit Raising merit badge in an effort to stay with the times.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

It's a shame the BSA discontinued the Rabbit Raising merit badge in an effort to stay with the times.
                        I earned the Rabbit Raising merit badge. That's the last of my money FOS will ever get!

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                          I earned the Rabbit Raising merit badge.
                          :bsflag:

Prove it. Please explain the use of your breed, and know about one breed used for meat, one for fur, and one for wool.
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Does BYU still have a scouting degree?
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              :bsflag:

Prove it. Please explain the use of your breed, and know about one breed used for meat, one for fur, and one for wool.
                              Sorry, I was in an LDS troop. I half assed it and don't remember anything.

Comment

Some of these are pretty funny: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discont...uts_of_America)
                                "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Working...
                                X