I taught in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    This thread has become very boring and all these posts about presidencies have nothing to do with teaching in church today. Please show some respect to the dearly departed Pheidippides and make this thread both interesting and about teaching in church.
    We're just gathering in small groups and discussing the topic. I'm sure at some point, we'll come up with an statement that somewhat relates to the topic, and we'll have a spokesman for our group deliver it.

Edit: I was actually scheduled to teach on Sunday, but that was before GC kerfuffle. New EQ Presidency was only installed last week. I went ahead and prepared the lesson on ministering anyway. but EQP asked me - after Sacrament - if I would continue teaching, just not that week. No problem. Same topic, same lesson. I spent a good deal of time staring at the floor while the new EQP and HPs talked about... something. Don't remember what. I think my take on the Glengarry Glen Ross method of ministering would have been more entertaining.
    Last edited by LVAllen; 04-25-2018, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• Just my .02-- Priesthood went from engaging lesson/conversation to a zzzzzz fest. Which works for me, being an introvert.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
        This thread has become very boring and all these posts about presidencies have nothing to do with teaching in church today. Please show some respect to the dearly departed Pheidippides and make this thread both interesting and about teaching in church.
        This thread was started by Nikuman - it was never interesting.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
          This thread was started by Nikuman - it was never interesting.
          His WoW lesson was pretty interesting (assuming it was in this thread).
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• I subbed for my old SS class yesterday. There were six girls and one boy (who came in late). I had forgotten that I'd agreed to sub, so I was shooting from the hip. I looked up the Come Follow Me lessons for June, and saw that there was one on participating effectively in Church councils. For whatever reason, I went with that one.

I did my normal schtick, a little quasi-Socratic questioning to define a council, distinguish it from a meeting, discuss how it's different or similar from "group meetings," etc. Then I asked, "how many of you have participated in Bishop's Youth Council or Stake Youth Council?"

It came out that a graduating senior had gone to one SYC meeting, and then never went again. Sensing there was more to the story, I asked her, "What went wrong that made you not want to participate?"

It turns out that she was there when they were planning Mormon prom. The stake leadership stated that they were going to bring shawls to put over the young women who did not have modest dresses. My student said that while she appreciated modesty, she thought it would be embarrassing and shaming to throw a shawl over their bodies. The counselor in the SP present shut her down immediately, and she never went back to SYC.

So we had a discussion on what the SP'y could have done differently to reinforce the idea of importance of modesty without alienating my student, and how she could have work toward advocating a valid point in a respectful manner that has a higher chance of success.

And then I said something that may or may not get me in trouble. I told them, "I'm the dad of three girls. Their place in the church is something that I think about fairly frequently. As you guys get older, you're going to have awesome priesthood leaders, and you're going to have a few that will misuse what they deem to be their priesthood authority. If you feel like a priesthood leader is not giving you due regard, I want you to go home and read D&C 121, and think about the attributes of a priesthood holder. And if this priesthood holder fails to meet those attributes, then you can know that he's misusing his priesthood. It doesn't mean the church is wrong or bad, it just means that this guy is making a mistake (like we all do), and that you can continue to follow the righteous desires of your heart."

The two female students who are about to graduate (including the girls who got blasted at SYC), were both crying. The one boy, the bishop's son, had a look of horror on his face. That's where I think I'll get busted. My bishop is a good dude, but he's not a "people's" bishop.

Afterward, one of the girls told me that she needed the lesson.
            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
              I subbed for my old SS class yesterday. There were six girls and one boy (who came in late). I had forgotten that I'd agreed to sub, so I was shooting from the hip. I looked up the Come Follow Me lessons for June, and saw that there was one on participating effectively in Church councils. For whatever reason, I went with that one.

I did my normal schtick, a little quasi-Socratic questioning to define a council, distinguish it from a meeting, discuss how it's different or similar from "group meetings," etc. Then I asked, "how many of you have participated in Bishop's Youth Council or Stake Youth Council?"

It came out that a graduating senior had gone to one SYC meeting, and then never went again. Sensing there was more to the story, I asked her, "What went wrong that made you not want to participate?"

It turns out that she was there when they were planning Mormon prom. The stake leadership stated that they were going to bring shawls to put over the young women who did not have modest dresses. My student said that while she appreciated modesty, she thought it would be embarrassing and shaming to throw a shawl over their bodies. The counselor in the SP present shut her down immediately, and she never went back to SYC.

So we had a discussion on what the SP'y could have done differently to reinforce the idea of importance of modesty without alienating my student, and how she could have work toward advocating a valid point in a respectful manner that has a higher chance of success.

And then I said something that may or may not get me in trouble. I told them, "I'm the dad of three girls. Their place in the church is something that I think about fairly frequently. As you guys get older, you're going to have awesome priesthood leaders, and you're going to have a few that will misuse what they deem to be their priesthood authority. If you feel like a priesthood leader is not giving you due regard, I want you to go home and read D&C 121, and think about the attributes of a priesthood holder. And if this priesthood holder fails to meet those attributes, then you can know that he's misusing his priesthood. It doesn't mean the church is wrong or bad, it just means that this guy is making a mistake (like we all do), and that you can continue to follow the righteous desires of your heart."

The two female students who are about to graduate (including the girls who got blasted at SYC), were both crying. The one boy, the bishop's son, had a look of horror on his face. That's where I think I'll get busted. My bishop is a good dude, but he's not a "people's" bishop.

Afterward, one of the girls told me that she needed the lesson.
              That's a better lesson by far than what was preached over the pulpit at my ward last week. The tripe from Heber J. Grant about "do what's wrong when the Church President tell you to, and the Lord will bless you for it." Wonder if that counsel extends to direction given by MTC Presidents.
              Last edited by LVAllen; 06-04-2018, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• Finn: We all talked about this, and Brinley is going to be the new class teacher, and I am the assistant, so you are now released.
                Me: But I have an awesome lesson today
                Finn: oh, ummmm, what do you have? Are you going to put up a tent?
                Me: Close- I'm going make the room dark and light electronic candles. And I'm also going to teach about a wicked guy named Phinehas. Don't you think that the class will get confused if a Phineas is teaching about an evil Phinehas?
                Finn: Maybe so...
                Me: (going in for the kill): And I brought mini kit kats. What did you bring for treats?
                Finn: Ok, you can be the assistant to the assistant teacher.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                  Finn: We all talked about this, and Brinley is going to be the new class teacher, and I am the assistant, so you are now released.
                  Me: But I have an awesome lesson today
                  Finn: oh, ummmm, what do you have? Are you going to put up a tent?
                  Me: Close- I'm going make the room dark and light electronic candles. And I'm also going to teach about a wicked guy named Phinehas. Don't you think that the class will get confused if a Phineas is teaching about an evil Phinehas?
                  Finn: Maybe so...
                  Me: (going in for the kill): And I brought mini kit kats. What did you bring for treats?
                  Finn: Ok, you can be the assistant to the assistant teacher.
                  How old are these kids?
                  “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Now that I've finished watching the game and caught up on CougarStadium, I should probably prepare my Sunday School lesson for tomorrow.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                      Now that I've finished watching the game and caught up on CougarStadium, I should probably prepare my Sunday School lesson for tomorrow.
                      Revelation. Yeay.

I’m supposed to teach tomorrow too. Pretty sure I will ditch the manual and just give a lecture on what happened after the New Testament. Early Christianity, Roman persecution, Constantine, the creeds, etc.
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                        Revelation. Yeay.

I’m supposed to teach tomorrow too. Pretty sure I will ditch the manual and just give a lecture on what happened after the New Testament. Early Christianity, Roman persecution, Constantine, the creeds, etc.
                        Looks like I'll be focusing on the material from last week - 1-3 John and Jude.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• We are just going to eat cake

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                            Revelation. Yeay.

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            Looks like I'll be focusing on the material from last week - 1-3 John and Jude.
                            We're tossing the lesson for Primary and giving the Christmas lesson, since we won't be teaching a lesson the following week. We'll do a "summary" lesson the week after that. The stuff at the end of the New Testament is very difficult to teach to little kids.

Comment

• Yeah, I think I'll just do the Christmas lesson since this is the last sunday school class before Christmas...

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                                Yeah, I think I'll just do the Christmas lesson since this is the last sunday school class before Christmas...
                                I thought about that too. Another solid option.

Really, if I didn’t specifically study this period of history in college such that I feel like I actually have something of interest to say on the subject, I’d probably do the same.
                                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                                X