Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
    Did 3 today at noon. 94 degrees. Headwind. You get the picture.

I'm amazed at the effect that heat has on my heart rate. Average heart rate was 5 bpms higher and my pace was about 5 seconds slower.
    That's about how mine went. Too hot. I've gotta get out earlier from now on.
    In the Pfitzinger book I quoted from the other night, he says your heart rate will increase on warm days because of dehydration, and because your heart is sending more blood to the skin to aid in cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
      Okay, I just created a challenge. Most miles over 30 days, starting tomorrow. I think I invited everybody, but I may have missed people. If you can't find the invite on nike+, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send out an invite.
      Quick! Everyone check the nikeplus CUF challenge. Because this will be the last time that you will see me at the top of the leaderboard.

(Only because no one else has synced their ipods yet from this morning's runs.)

Comment

3 miles this morning. Felt good.

I'm sorry guys, but I've got to bow out of the Nike+ challenge. It took me all of 2 minutes to remember why I stopped using it. I bought a little Sansa Clip that I've been running with for the past few months, and it's tiny. Compared to it, the ipod feels like I have a brick attached to my waist. I can't stand it.

Comment

I put in my second long run of the year this morning. 20.5 miles, 62.2 miles for the week. The thing about a long run is that it's only the last 3 or 4 miles that count, it just takes all stinkin' morning to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
            I put in my second long run of the year this morning. 20.5 miles, 62.2 miles for the week. The thing about a long run is that it's only the last 3 or 4 miles that count, it just takes all stinkin' morning to get there.
            My long run is 6. Nice thing about Higdon's novice program is that it starts you out easy. Just headed out now; I'll return and report this afternoon.
            sigpic
            "Outlined against a blue, gray
            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

I ran my long run this morning, 6.04 miles averaging a 10:56 pace. I am no where neer the pace I would like to be at right now, but I don't want to push too hard here at the start and hurt myself. I'd like to run the marathon somewhere around a 9:30-10 pace, but we will see. I ran the Provo River half a couple years ago at a 10:14 pace.
              "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

I use the Garmin 305 and love it. It's great for biking and hiking too, so I can cross train with it. It's worth the money.
                I was going to wait a little closer to Fathers Day, but this morning when I came back from my run, my wife told me that I should buy it today to help with my training. I just bought the 305 at costco.com for 169.99. Nice.
                "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
                  Why did I ever think I had a chance in the competition? I just had the best, longest run of my entire life (DDD, I did run with my shirt off) and I still am like 20 miles behind you.
                  Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
                    I ran my long run this morning, 6.04 miles averaging a 10:56 pace. I am no where neer the pace I would like to be at right now, but I don't want to push too hard here at the start and hurt myself. I'd like to run the marathon somewhere around a 9:30-10 pace, but we will see. I ran the Provo River half a couple years ago at a 10:14 pace.
                    Sounds like you're right on track. I just finished 6 at a 10:15 pace. Heart rate 162, right where it needed to be. That puts me somewhere between an 8:45 and 9:30 marathon pace, which is a little slower than I'd like, but it's not bad for the first week of training. I'll sacrifice pace to stay healthy.

Congrats on the 305. You won't regret it.
                    sigpic
                    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

cowboy, you've inspired me. I think I'm going to get a HRM and try training by heart rate. I've never really done that.

I got in 7 today. It was supposed to be 8, but I was really struggling and decided to cut it short. I don't think I ate enough yesterday.

Comment

My week #1 (all of these included hill work):

Mon: 3 miles, 9:26 ave
                        Tue: 5 miles, 9:47 ave
                        Wed: 3 miles, 9:24 ave
                        Thu: off
                        Fri: 5 miles, 8:54 ave
                        Sat: 8 miles, 9:25 ave
                        Total: 24 miles

Sounds like you're right on track. I just finished 6 at a 10:15 pace. Heart rate 162, right where it needed to be. That puts me somewhere between an 8:45 and 9:30 marathon pace, which is a little slower than I'd like, but it's not bad for the first week of training. I'll sacrifice pace to stay healthy.

Congrats on the 305. You won't regret it.
                        Cowboy, how do you estimate what your marathon pace will be?
                        Last edited by scottie; 05-23-2009, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I don't think there's a gadget I own that I like better or use more than my 305. Totally worth the money.

Although that 405 is really cool looking. It had some early bad reviews but every one of my friends who has one loves it.
                          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by scottie View Post
                            Cowboy, how do you estimate what your marathon pace will be?
                            If you are running your long run in the correct heart rate zone, your marathon pace will be 45 to 90 seconds faster than your long run pace.
                            sigpic
                            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

If you are running your long run in the correct heart rate zone, your marathon pace will be 45 to 90 seconds faster than your long run pace.
                              How do you know what your correct heart rate zone is? Is there a book or a website you recommend to learn more?

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                                I don't think there's a gadget I own that I like better or use more than my 305. Totally worth the money.

Although that 405 is really cool looking. It had some early bad reviews but every one of my friends who has one loves it.
                                The wireless sync looks really cool on that, but when I compared the features and what I am using it for, I couldn't justify the extra cash.

Comment

Working...
                                X