BYU hoops for 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
    I hate second guessing Dave Rose but I do want to know who is running the defense on this team. It is probably that little bastard Nashif.

Against St. Marys we had a huge lead and decided to start switching every screen. St. Marys would bring the ball up and set a half hearted pick, one that Carlino could have easily fought through. Instead we woudl immediately switch and we were stuck with Austin guarding Dellavadova who brought them all the way back.

Last night was the exact same thing. This time BYU goes small with Sharp playing the 5 and we do the exact same thing. They set a half-hearted pick knowing that we are going to switch and Sharp is stuck guarding the PG.

The problem is even on the plays where Sharp does a decent job the PG is going to get some penetration which caused the rest of the team to collapse leaving wide open shooters. Or Sharp would get beat for easy baskets at the rim.

I don't know why we continue to do that or how we are unable to recruit enough athletes to play man to man defense in the WCC. We were strictly a man defense team in the MWC rarely going zone. Yet for some reason we can't stick with anybody in the WCC.

While Zylstra might bring more to the table offensively than Winder, he can not stay in front of his man to save his life. Davies is a terrible post defender, and Nate Austin plays so small for a 6'11 guy. Trying to constantly take charges is not as effective as standing straight up at 6'11 and letting a 6'2 guard try and shoot over you.

Carlino is a good defender but he takes too many chances and doesn't have much help at the rim. Winder is by far our best on the ball defender. I think the 2nd best defender on this team is Delgado who is buried on the bench.

At this point we need to beat the Zags, SMC, and beat one of them again (most likely Gonzaga) in the WCC tourney.
    Just because Nashif resembles a hobbit doesn't make him a bastard.

Regarding our defense, you are right. We played decent man defense and won several MWC titles. Occasionally we'd run a 2-3 zone , especially out of timeouts. Now we run a 2-3, a little 1-3-1, and once in a while play man as a curveball. I don't think our struggles are a coincidental thing. The big question: would we be doing worse playing predominantly man, considering our personnel?

Regarding our offense, I think it helps to consider that only Haws, Carlino, and Davies are legit D1 starters. And all three of them have flaws too, especially Davies. Josh Sharp should be a bench, energy type guy, the 3rd/4th big off the bench. Austin tries hard, but reminds me of a clumsy puppy who sometimes mistakes hustle for plain spazzing out. Zysltra sucks, and K-dog's argument that he sucks less than the alternatives does not change the fact that he sucks. Cusick would be a ward ball all star, but he's not effective running the point. Winder is an enigma. Delgado... I don't know who he is. Augie looks like Bernie from Weekend at Bernie's.

Bottom line, this team isn't that talented. Certainly, missing Rogers and Collinsworth due to injuries hurts. And they're not awful, they'll keep the 20 win streak alive. But they are clearly a mid-tier WCC team, not a top MWC team anymore. Hopefully this is a one year aberration, Kyle Collinsworth will help a lot. Maybe we can bury Augie and find a decent JC big man or two. I highly doubt that Mika is going to be capable of being a major frontcourt presence right away.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

I hate second guessing Dave Rose but I do want to know who is running the defense on this team. It is probably that little bastard Nashif.

Against St. Marys we had a huge lead and decided to start switching every screen. St. Marys would bring the ball up and set a half hearted pick, one that Carlino could have easily fought through. Instead we woudl immediately switch and we were stuck with Austin guarding Dellavadova who brought them all the way back.

Last night was the exact same thing. This time BYU goes small with Sharp playing the 5 and we do the exact same thing. They set a half-hearted pick knowing that we are going to switch and Sharp is stuck guarding the PG.

The problem is even on the plays where Sharp does a decent job the PG is going to get some penetration which caused the rest of the team to collapse leaving wide open shooters. Or Sharp would get beat for easy baskets at the rim.

I don't know why we continue to do that or how we are unable to recruit enough athletes to play man to man defense in the WCC. We were strictly a man defense team in the MWC rarely going zone. Yet for some reason we can't stick with anybody in the WCC.

While Zylstra might bring more to the table offensively than Winder, he can not stay in front of his man to save his life. Davies is a terrible post defender, and Nate Austin plays so small for a 6'11 guy. Trying to constantly take charges is not as effective as standing straight up at 6'11 and letting a 6'2 guard try and shoot over you.

Carlino is a good defender but he takes too many chances and doesn't have much help at the rim. Winder is by far our best on the ball defender. I think the 2nd best defender on this team is Delgado who is buried on the bench.

At this point we need to beat the Zags, SMC, and beat one of them again (most likely Gonzaga) in the WCC tourney.
      Maybe having the big man show in man to man defense is a good strategy, but it doesn't work for BYU. Our big men get into foul trouble trying to do it or they end up on a switch where the PG of the other team beats them and goes in for a layup or passes out to a wide open 3 point shooter.

IMHO, Winder should be on the PG and bag the switching. I would replace Zylstra with Winder and put Carlino at the 2 guard.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        Maybe having the big man show in man to man defense is a good strategy, but it doesn't work for BYU. Our big men get into foul trouble trying to do it or they end up on a switch where the PG of the other team beats them and goes in for a layup or passes out to a wide open 3 point shooter.

IMHO, Winder should be on the PG and bag the switching. I would replace Zylstra with Winder and put Carlino at the 2 guard.
        You are correct Davies is the worst at showing and then trying to pick up the PG 40 feet from the basket. They need to show long enough for Carlino or Winder to get over the screen and then get back. It is a pretty simple defensive concept that we can't seem to grasp. While the big shows Sharp or Zylstra need to come over and help on the screener who is rolling to the basket. Which means the only person who should be open is a shooter in the corner. However due to the angle it will take two passes to get him the ball which should give Zylstra/Sharp time to get back.

When Davies decides to chase the PG around at half court, Sharp/Zylstra are forced to stay on the big who is now camping at the rim, and we are giving up wide open threes. It all starts with our bigs not showing and getting back.
        *Banned*

Comment

You are correct Davies is the worst at showing and then trying to pick up the PG 40 feet from the basket. They need to show long enough for Carlino or Winder to get over the screen and then get back. It is a pretty simple defensive concept that we can't seem to grasp. While the big shows Sharp or Zylstra need to come over and help on the screener who is rolling to the basket. Which means the only person who should be open is a shooter in the corner. However due to the angle it will take two passes to get him the ball which should give Zylstra/Sharp time to get back.

When Davies decides to chase the PG around at half court, Sharp/Zylstra are forced to stay on the big who is now camping at the rim, and we are giving up wide open threes. It all starts with our bigs not showing and getting back.
          Right. It's not a bad scheme at all, Davies is just a dum dum and doesn't know when to get back. Austin too. You can tell it bugs Coach Cleveland to death because he only mentions how it's supposed to be defended about 10x a game.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            Right. It's not a bad scheme at all, Davies is just a dum dum and doesn't know when to get back. Austin too. You can tell it bugs Coach Cleveland to death because he only mentions how it's supposed to be defended about 10x a game.
            I am very much in the Dave Rose fan club, so this is more of a question than a criticism.

Why if you have a player that has proven over time he can't execute something you want him to do wouldn't you go to something different?

Comment

• Dave Rice is a very good defensive coach. I knew we would take a step back when he left, but I figured by now whoever is coaching the defensive side would have it figured out by now. That's clearly not the case.

You can't play as much zone as BYU does and expect to win against D1 opponents. Sure you need some athleticism to guard man to man, but a lot of it is about technique. Carlino is athletic enough to handle most guards. Sure he'll get beat every now and then. That happens to everyone some times. However the BYU guards get broken down by the other team's guards way too easily. They are penetrating way down the middle. The allows them to dump it off to a big man or pass out for an open three. I see a lack of desire and a lack of defensive knowledge at BYU. Everyone wants to be Jimmer and score a lot of points, but nobody wants to go back and play tough defense on the other end. This team is soft physically and mentally.
              "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
              —Abraham Maslow

Comment

• USF shoots 40.7% from 3 point range this season. They made 12 of their last 13 three point attempts. The odds of a 40.7% 3 point shooting team making at least 12 of 13 three point attempts is 5,964 to 1.
                Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                  USF shoots 40.7% from 3 point range this season. They made 12 of their last 13 three point attempts. The odds of a 40.7% 3 point shooting team making at least 12 of 13 three point attempts is 5,964 to 1.
                  What are the odds when you adjust for no defense?

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                    What are the odds when you adjust for no defense?
                    What are the odds when you adjust for hyperbole?

Comment

USF shoots 40.7% from 3 point range this season. They made 12 of their last 13 three point attempts. The odds of a 40.7% 3 point shooting team making at least 12 of 13 three point attempts is 5,964 to 1.
                      So if they shoot their average the game is about a break even. That is still pretty bad. What is BYU's defense against the 3 this year. I will bet most teams shoot over their average.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                        So if they shoot their average the game is about a break even. That is still pretty bad. What is BYU's defense against the 3 this year. I will bet most teams shoot over their average.
                        BYU's opponents have shot 34.1% from 3. The NCAA average is 33.6%. BYU makes 33.1% of their 3 point attempts.

Comment

BYU's opponents have shot 34.1% from 3. The NCAA average is 33.6%. BYU makes 33.1% of their 3 point attempts.
                          Thanks. A more interesting stat would be to see how each team did vs BYU against their year long average. That might be a pain in the butt to figure though and I wouldn't expect you to do that.

Suffice it to say it is a good guess that most teams shoot better than their average when playing BYU.

Comment

What are the odds when you adjust for hyperbole?
                            12/13

Comment

• I just looked at BYUs numbers during WCC play. We are near the top or at the top in just about every category. Based on the numbers we should be first or 2nd in the conference.
                              *Banned*

Comment

I just looked at BYUs numbers during WCC play. We are near the top or at the top in just about every category. Based on the numbers we should be first or 2nd in the conference.
                                Offense or both offense and defense?

Comment

Working...
                                X