The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    What gives Deadpool its R rating? I'm thinking of taking Jr and Captain.
    Wife hated it. I would give it a five. Plenty of people watching really enjoyed it.

Comment

• That rundown forgot the naked women in the strip club.

I enjoyed it but it was crass.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        That rundown forgot the naked women in the strip club.

That was only page 1 of 4.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Murder on a Sunday Morning. Academy Award winner for best documentary in 2002. About a young kid in Jacksonville accused of murdering a white woman in a hold-up. Most of the movie is the jury trial.

A real-life "To Kill a Mockingbird" trial/story, complete with a chain-smoking Atticus Finch attorney. Outstanding.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
            That rundown forgot the naked women in the strip club.

My wife just asked me this morning, "what is this new movie, 'deadpool' about?" I answered, "it is a new super hero movie with Ryan Reynolds." She responded with, "Oh, I like him." She then watches greenband trailer and says, "That looks funny, we should go see it."

Trying to decide if i should break the news up front or waste $20 bucks just to see how long it takes her to walk out of the theatre.
            "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
              My wife just asked me this morning, "what is this new movie, 'deadpool' about?" I answered, "it is a new super hero movie with Ryan Reynolds." She responded with, "Oh, I like him." She then watches greenband trailer and says, "That looks funny, we should go see it."

Trying to decide if i should break the news up front or waste $20 bucks just to see how long it takes her to walk out of the theatre.
              Go ahead and show her the redband trailer. She can walk out of that one a little cheaper.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Jane got a gun - meh.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Tell her you'll meet her there after work. That way you can take separate cars and she can leave whenever she wants.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    Tell her you'll meet her there after work. That way you can take separate cars and she can leave whenever she wants.
                    ANd then he can drive to his motel for the night whenever he wants.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I had no expectations and walked in cold. In that vein, I found it a guilty pleasure, of which your mother wouldn't approve, but your buddies would. The lines were tightly woven in the Kick Ass sort of way. Naturally, much of it was predictable, but it is after all made after a 1991 comic book. I didn't know that detail but looked it up afterward. It is crass in a 21st century sort of way. Not for everyone and certainly not for many wives, though I saw and hear many women laughing in the film. The nudity and sex made it deserving of a R, but it was not over-the-board in light of current releases. It was the absurd, blackened anti-hero which would drive filme noir fans wild.

I suppose if you had any build up, you might not enjoy it as much, but for a quick twenty or in case of being in San Diego, a quick 30 bucks, it was worth it.
                      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• I’m surprised how much I enjoyed Where to Invade Next, Michael Moore’s latest. I didn’t like Fahrenheit 911 at all, and his utter lack of objectivity and derisive view of conservative viewpoints has been offputting to be sure. But this movie is much lighter, funnier and even enlightening. Many of his proposals are naïve, although when one devotes only five minutes or so to a given topic, one can’t expect much in the way of sophistication.

Moore visits a variety of European countries and Tunisia, focusing on one or two social programs he finds admirable. We especially enjoyed seeing some cities and regions that have now been added to our travel bucket list (Slovenia, here we come!). His topics include prison reform, women’s rights, health care, workers pay issues (the interviews with management of a couple of Italian companies, including Ducati, are especially interesting), the death penalty, no-tuition college, etc. Perhaps the most interesting was the French elementary school lunch program. Each meal consists of at least three courses of fresh ingredients, and lunch is treated like a class in which the kids learn about nutrition, good and bad (water is the only beverage, and kids find soda unappealing).

A few factual tidbits from the movie:

--The maximum sentence for a capital crime in Norway is 23 years; the guy who murdered 60 or so school kids at that camp a few years ago received a total sentence of between ten and 23 years, and most Norwegians are apparently cool with that.

--The only Icelandic bank that didn’t fail during the financial collapse of 2008 was/is run by women. Now, all public companies in Iceland must have at least 40% representation from each gender.

-- Private schools are forbidden in Finland, forcing the wealthy to improve the public school system for their (and others’) children’s benefit. Finland was once tied with the U.S. at around 28th in the world in education; it's now first.

--Drug use and crime dropped significantly in Portugal after its laws against drug use were repealed

I suspect virtually no one here will see the movie (indeed, on a weeknight Mrs. PAC and I comprised 50% of the theater audience), but we both enjoyed it and it has provoked some lengthy discussions.

[YOUTUBE]1KeAZho8TKo[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

• ha. i love the simple proposition that the u.s. should model social programs on those in norway, iceland and finland. no possible way that goes wrong. michael moore is a fat idiot.
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                            ha. i love the simple proposition that the u.s. should model social programs on those in norway, iceland and finland. no possible way that goes wrong. michael moore is a fat idiot.
                            I assumed with Bernie Sanders as your avatar you'd love the movie... Anyway, there's no question that he's fat (which is relevant, why?), but he's no idiot. And sure, it's foolish to expect a program that works for a homogeneous country the size of Vermont will necessarily work in a country as diverse and large as the U.S. Still, I wouldn't dismiss an idea solely for that reason. Interestingly, many of those he interviewed say they got their ideas from the U.S. and they couldn't understand why the U.S. moved away from them.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                              I assumed with Bernie Sanders as your avatar you'd love the movie... Anyway, there's no question that he's fat (which is relevant, why?), but he's no idiot. And sure, it's foolish to expect a program that works for a homogeneous country the size of Vermont will necessarily work in a country as diverse and large as the U.S. Still, I wouldn't dismiss an idea solely for that reason. Interestingly, many of those he interviewed say they got their ideas from the U.S. and they couldn't understand why the U.S. moved away from them.
                              problem is, gotta go and factcheck the movie now. I remember the 9/11 movie he did was so full of blantent lies that it pushed me away from trusting anything he says.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                                problem is, gotta go and factcheck the movie now. I remember the 9/11 movie he did was so full of blantent lies that it pushed me away from trusting anything he says.
                                I'll be interested in your findings. As noted, I thought Fahrenheit 9/11 was awful; Where to Invade Next is at least more upbeat and even optimistic about America and its potential. Plus, one of the Icelandic executives, a blonde golfer, is very hot.

Comment

Working...
                                X