No announcement yet.

Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got four racks of baby backs ready for the draft party tomorrow. Costco surprised me by removing the membrane off the back for me. $3 a pound and they removed the membrane. Can't beat that.

Draft party menu includes baby back ribs, ATB's, potato salad, corn bread, fruit salad, and lemon ice cream pie. This will help make it bearable if the Jazz draft Kemba Walker.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
      Just got four racks of baby backs ready for the draft party tomorrow. Costco surprised me by removing the membrane off the back for me. $3 a pound and they removed the membrane. Can't beat that.

Draft party menu includes baby back ribs, ATB's, potato salad, corn bread, fruit salad, and lemon ice cream pie. This will help make it bearable if the Jazz draft Kemba Walker.
      I did six racks today. Turned out great.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I did six racks today. Turned out great.
        Where did you buy your meat? Do you use a homemade rub?
        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

You people are killing me!
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

The ABT's were a hit. In fact I've got another 20 in the smoker right now. Super easy and really good. I'm also trying my first fattie. Bacon cheese burger fattie. I can't find my camera from the move or I would post some pictures.

Comment

has anyone ever used a camp chef smoker? they've got pretty good reviews at amazon, and i can get it at cost. feedback is appreciated.
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Do prices on the used market drop appreciably in the fall and winter? Also, how difficult is it to repair one of these if they break down? Or better asked, how often do the digital ones have issues? They look like work horses but you never know with the used market. The traeger Texas looks like the one for me....along with the JeffLebowski double pizza rack, I should be good to go. It appears that smokers are not good for steaks so looks like I need to hang onto the traditional grill. That is kind of annoying to have 2 out there, but steak is key at our pad. Truthfully, I'm most excited about trying the pizzas and the chicken. Those full birds that drunk tank posts look amazing.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Do prices on the used market drop appreciably in the fall and winter? Also, how difficult is it to repair one of these if they break down? Or better asked, how often do the digital ones have issues? They look like work horses but you never know with the used market. The traeger Texas looks like the one for me....along with the JeffLebowski double pizza rack, I should be good to go. It appears that smokers are not good for steaks so looks like I need to hang onto the traditional grill. That is kind of annoying to have 2 out there, but steak is key at our pad. Truthfully, I'm most excited about trying the pizzas and the chicken. Those full birds that drunk tank posts look amazing.
                  Get a big green egg.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                    Get a big green egg.
                    I thought about it but I'm too lazy to worry about monitoring it. I really enjoy the idea of set it and forget it temp control. Agreed that the egg would be better for getting to higher temps, especially in the winter.

sigpic

Comment

I thought about it but I'm too lazy to worry about monitoring it. I really enjoy the idea of set it and forget it temp control. Agreed that the egg would be better for getting to higher temps, especially in the winter.
                      From everyone I know that has an egg, it's easy to maintain temps consistently once you get used to it. A co-worker has one with some digital control module that helps. It's not quite set it and forget it, but almost. I want one for the versatility. To be able to cook a Pellegrino pizza at 700° and sear a ribeye at 800° and then finish it off at 400° sounds great.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

Mine is great for steaks. Better than any grill I've ever used. I love doing steaks, especially with grill grates.

Mine did have a mechanical problem. The starter had a problem and while fixing that I also discovered one of my fans was broken. I'm not a handy person, but it was easy even for me. And with. 5 year warranty it was also free.

Comment

Mine is great for steaks. Better than any grill I've ever used. I love doing steaks, especially with grill grates.

Mine did have a mechanical problem. The starter had a problem and while fixing that I also discovered one of my fans was broken. I'm not a handy person, but it was easy even for me. And with. 5 year warranty it was also free.
                          You don't have the traeger though, correct? I don't thnk the traeger does steaks.

sigpic

Comment

You don't have the traeger though, correct? I don't thnk the traeger does steaks.
                            That was my way of telling you to get a Memphis. Also, you can do steaks on the Traeger, but I would get grill grates. They are awesome for smokers and inexpensive.

Comment

That was my way of telling you to get a Memphis. Also, you can do steaks on the Traeger, but I would get grill grates. They are awesome for smokers and inexpensive.
                              What do they do? They look just like the grates that come with the smoker.

I guess you can cook the steak at 300 but that doesn't seem optimal to me.

How much $$ are you burning in pellets to crank up that Memphis?

sigpic

Comment

What do they do? They look just like the grates that come with the smoker.

I guess you can cook the steak at 300 but that doesn't seem optimal to me.

How much $$ are you burning in pellets to crank up that Memphis?
                                You can get the Traeger hotter than 300, can't you? I saw a demo from a Traeger salesman after I bought the Memphis. He claimed he gets his to 450 to 500 for steaks all the time.

Grill grates hold heat and sear the meat really nicely. You get the perfect grill marks on your meat and it keeps things juicier.

www.grillgrate.com

Comment

Working...
                                X