No announcement yet.

Country music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Arlo Guthrie. I have seen him 4-5 times in person, and have a large collection of his albums. I would say all, but whenever I think I have them all I see one that I don't have.

He is more folk, but I am not going to split hairs.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
      One that no one has mentioned yet

Patsy Cline - Crazy
      I had Walking After Midnight but took it off because I decided that all the old ones, they deserve their own category. They're not really country in the sense that we think of country today, it seems.

I stop to see a weepin' willow, cryin' on his pillow
      Maybe he's cryin' for me-e-e

man I love that song.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
        I had Walking After Midnight but took it off because I decided that all the old ones, they deserve their own category. They're not really country in the sense that we think of country today, it seems.

I stop to see a weepin' willow, cryin' on his pillow
        Maybe he's cryin' for me-e-e

man I love that song.
        point taken - I guess I am just old.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
          point taken - I guess I am just old.
          No, the post was mostly just to agree with you that that's a great song.

Comment

I love Alt-Country not named Wilco and am starting to like Outlaw Country.

There has been a string of punk rock/hardcore guys who have started dabbling with country music.

Chuck Ragan (Hot Water Music) who has an amazing bluesgrass album co-sung with Austin Lucas out.

Tim Barry (Avail)

Dustin Kensrue (Thrice)

Various members of the band the Descendants who form Drag the River.

I highly recommend them all

Comment

Country is so mainstream now that it is almost not country which, depending on your preferences is either a good thing or a bad thing.

Garth - One Night a Day - one of his more underated songs...in fact, I think his whole "in Pieces" album is solid.

Brad Paisley - This guy doesn't do much I don't like. In concert he does a "Walk of Life" cover as one of his encores...fantastic. Favorite song(s)...Famous People, Alcohol, I Wish You'd Stay...and many more.

I went through a phase where I really liked McGraw.

Kenny Chesney - I like his more mellow island Jimmy Buffet songs.

Josh Turner - He's pretty underatted and for a base, he's really good and listenable (is that a word?)

The classics, of course are good...even Forever and Ever Amen by Randy Travis and Anymore by Travis Tritt are songs I'll listen to if they're on.
              "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Art's least favorite genre thread made me want to bump this. May the bird of paradise fly up all you country haters' noses.

For the guy who marries young and then wakes up fourteen years and four kids later to realize he's not just married; he's hopelessly, incurably, head over heels, down for the count in love with his wife, I submit this little gem.
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                  Ray Price - Heartache by the Number

David Allen Coe - You Never Even Called Me By My Name

George Strait - Amarillo by Morning (might be my all time favorite song)

Johnny Cash - Sunday Morning Coming Down

Willie Nelson - Georgia on my Mind (I know Ray Charles' version is the standard, but I asked my wife to marry me to this version)

Roger Miller - Dang Me

Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman

Merle Haggard - I Think I'll Just Stay Here and Drink

Wayne Hancock - 87 Southbound (Opening line: I caught you with him, on those damp, slick, sticky satin sheets)

Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash - Nowhere Town

Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys - Stay a Little Longer

Garth Brooks - Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)

Chris Ledoux - Western Skies

I could go on, but I won't.
                  Landpoke is a real man... Although the must have is Family Tradition by Hank williams Jr
                  "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

brad paisley- american saturday night, welcome to the future
                    zac brown band - toes, chicken fried
                    Johnny cash
                    Kenny rogers
                    toby keith
                    keith urban
                    gretchen wilson
                    brooks and dunn,

I like county

Comment

Originally posted by Tick's wife View Post
                      brad paisley- american saturday night, welcome to the future
                      A lot of mainstream country sucks. I hate at least half the songs I hear on country radio and tolerate another 25%. You have to wade through a lot of crap to get to the good stuff. Even with the artists that I like, it's pretty hit and miss. Brad Paisley is the exception...he can pretty much do no wrong, IMO.
                      "Remember to double tap"

Comment

I like the some of the classic country artists: Hank Williams Sr, Patsy Cline, Eddie Arnold, Sons of the Pioneers, Marty Robbins etc.

Also Alabama is one of my all time favorite bands

I don't particularlly like the more modern stuff.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

I don't generally like country music, but must admit that I could listen to Brad Paisley all day. He's like the John Mayer of country music. He writes good lyrics, is an outstanding guitar player, and tends to keep things interesting.

(Mayer's last album is an exception as it is totally phoned in and not very interesting)

Comment

I probably wasn't clear in the other thread, I don't hate country music, I just don't listen to a lot of it. In fact I have most of the songs landpoke listed in my Itunes except Ledoux, Bastard Sons and Bob Wills. I even have a George Strait song in my CUF mix I'm making.

I'm a big fan of acoustic guitars, I have never heard Magnolia Wind before, but I like it. Thanks for posting Cowboy.

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
                              I don't generally like country music, but must admit that I could listen to Brad Paisley all day. He's like the John Mayer of country music. He writes good lyrics, is an outstanding guitar player, and tends to keep things interesting.

(Mayer's last album is an exception as it is totally phoned in and not very interesting)
                              They call him Van Halen on cornbread. He is a unbelievable guitar player. I enjoy a lot of his music.

Comment

I've been digging The Band Perry lately. Doesn't hurt that the lead singer is absolutely gorgeous.

[YOUTUBE]q_HFep1JR3c[/YOUTUBE]

[youtube]YTRZM93x7n0&feature=related[/youtube]
                                Last edited by venkman; 05-14-2012, 09:41 PM.
                                "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Working...
                                X