J.K. Rowling and the TERF wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Just putting your white privileged on full display here. Racist! (tic if not obvious)
    I gotta be me. If others don't like me for being me, screw 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
      I gotta be me. If others don't like me for being me, screw 'em.
      I like you.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I like you.
        Whoa, careful. You saying you like me could get you in trouble with those that don't like me. Think about your career and your family. You probably ought to retract your statement and issue an apology to those you just offended.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
          Whoa, careful. You saying you like me could get you in trouble with those that don't like me. Think about your career and your family. You probably ought to retract your statement and issue an apology to those you just offended.
          Too late for apologies, let's find out where Lebowski works. On second thought, the dude doesn't work, he just abides (and bowls).
          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

JKR in her open letter references research conducted by Littman as featured in Quillette recently.

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

The "Harper's Letter" continues to generate discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                JKR in her open letter references research conducted by Littman as featured in Quillette recently.

It's called mass hysteria, and it's definitely a thing.
                We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                  The "Harper's Letter" continues to generate discussion.
                  Maybe not exactly on topic in this thread, but a staff editor and opinion writer for the New York Times posted her resignation letter. It struck a similar tone in some respects to the Pinker quote you shared.

https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter

Showing up for work as a centrist at an American newspaper should not require bravery.
                  "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                    Maybe not exactly on topic in this thread, but a staff editor and opinion writer for the New York Times posted her resignation letter. It struck a similar tone in some respects to the Pinker quote you shared.

Geez, that is depressing.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post

I was just seeing that posted by Eric Weinstein, just finished reading it.
                      But don't worry, it's just Twitter which shouldn't be taken too seriously, nothing alarming going on here at all.

Twitter is not on the masthead of The New York Times. But Twitter has become its ultimate editor. As the ethics and mores of that platform have become those of the paper, the paper itself has increasingly become a kind of performance space.
                      Geez, that is depressing.
                      I remain pessimistic, though I do see more push back against the cancel culture. We've been through difficulties before, perhaps something will emerge again this time.

Here's Eric's twitter thread about it.

Comment

This is two years old, but an interesting counterpoint on Bari Weiss.

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/08/...ticize-israel/

That’s what makes this whole spectacle so amazing: The New York Times is allowing one of its columnists to masquerade as a stalwart defender of campus free speech and academic pluralism while utterly ignoring, and allowing her to falsely deny, her own long history in trying to stigmatize and punish professors who criticized Israel, to the point where the NYCLU stepped in and denounced her campaign as a dangerous threat to academic freedom.

Comment

This is two years old, but an interesting counterpoint on Bari Weiss.

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/08/...ticize-israel/
                          I kept reading that claim from time to time from the commentariat around the fringes of the IDW since she authored the article in the NYT that provided one of the first large public exposures for the IDW. Since it felt like the typical ad hominem, guilt by association stuff around the IDW, I never spent any time trying to figure out if the claims are valid. There is so much noise around politics, and everything has been politicized.

Not that it matters much in this context. Either the NYT is infested with a toxic culture of a dominant ideology or it isn't. Hypocrisy is not proof of a claim or a counter-claim, it does lose credibility, so greater corroboration is needed. We shall see what else shakes out I suppose.

Comment

Sullivan is out at New York Magazine also.

Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                              Sullivan is out at New York Magazine also.

Coincidence?
                              Sounds like different circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

Pokémon is not a fad. Go eff yourself
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X