Discussion between my wife and FIL last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion between my wife and FIL last night

My MIL is out of town tending to my BIL who had some vertebrae in his neck operated on. So my FIL is moping around all sad and dejected so we invited him along to a school fundraiser at a local pizza place. On the way home I was treated to this fascinating discussion between my wife and FIL.

FIL: I love the ice skating, what's it called? I hope it is on tonight.
    ldc: Speed skating?
    FIL: No, not speed skating, the short track it is much more exciting.
    ldc: But it is still whoever goes fastest wins.
    FIL: No it is whoever finishes first wins.
    ldc: Right whoever is fastest.
    FIL: No, whoever is first. It is like track cycling, we used to have that in Milwaukee. There is a strategy to it.
    ldc: But, it is still about whoever goes fastest.
    FIL: Not exactly, it is about whoever finishes first.
    ldc: So fastest wins.
    FIL: I guess you could say that, but it would be more accurate to say whoever is first wins.
    ldc: Right fastest.
    FIL: Well first wins.

Thankfully we arrived home at that moment, I think we were about to enter some kind of idiotic vortex.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    My MIL is out of town tending to my BIL who had some vertebrae in his neck operated on. So my FIL is moping around all sad and dejected so we invited him along to a school fundraiser at a local pizza place. On the way home I was treated to this fascinating discussion between my wife and FIL.

FIL: No, whoever is first. It is like track cycling, we used to have that in Milwaukee. There is a strategy to it.
    FIL: I guess you could say that, but it would be more accurate to say whoever is first wins.

Thankfully we arrived home at that moment, I think we were about to enter some kind of idiotic vortex.
    I have to agree with FIL on this one...
    Last edited by dabrockster; 02-18-2010, 07:57 AM.

Comment

LDC is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
        LDC is correct.
        Agreed. The person who goes the fastest over the 500m or whatever the distance might be, will win 100% of the time. It's one of those strange aspects of racing.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

Ha!
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

It depends on if you measure 'fastest' by total distance/total elapsed time or by highest achieved speed.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Nut doesn't fall far from the tree, I guess.

Comment

That conversation would be a lot better than the one about him liking Johnny Weir's sequined outfit.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Who's on first?
                  "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

I agree with FIL. Just like the race the other night where the Koreans were the fastest and were about to take 1,2,3. Then out of nowhere 2 takes out 3. Ohno and that other American who were clearly in 4th and 5th end up winning 2nd and 3rd because they crossed the finish line first.
                    "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
                    —Abraham Maslow

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                      Who's on first?
                      That's right.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sShMA85pv8M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sShMA85pv8M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
                      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Papa's Pizza? They use to have some kind of Taco Pizza that was always good. It almost made up for the fact there is always 500 screaming kids scaling the toys at that place.

Comment

Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
                          I agree with FIL. Just like the race the other night where the Koreans were the fastest and were about to take 1,2,3. Then out of nowhere 2 takes out 3. Ohno and that other American who were clearly in 4th and 5th end up winning 2nd and 3rd because they crossed the finish line first.
                          In other words, the winners maintained the fastest-average speed over the entire length of the course--they were the fastest.
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
                            Wrong, the koreans crashed, the clock was still running, therefore they were NOT the fastest. The gold Korean was the fastest, Ohno was the 2nd fastest and Celski was the 3rd fastest. Can't argue otherwise.

Comment

When racing on an oval without assigned lanes, there can be a difference between the quickest and the fastest. The quickest is always the winner, where the fastest is not always in first place.
                              "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Working...
                              X