Microwave on the fritz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Obviously you haven't been watching this season's 24. Leaving spent fuel rods with the Persians cannot end well.
    Where exactly is Persia? How can one be a Persian?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
      Where exactly is Persia? How can one be a Persian?
      The term X-Ray undoubtedly comes from Xerxes, Emperor of Persia, thus explaining the secret nuclear facility of Iran where microwave mag tubes are being used to enrich uranium for "peaceful" purposes.
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

I see that you've been soliciting suggestions on CougarBoard as well.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=5389279

Comment

Life without a microwave

Yeah, I know, first world problems...

We have a top of the line Bosch microwave that has been slightly flaky for nearly two years now. Every once in a while it will run for five seconds then shut off and show a message that I would expect to see the very first time you turn it on: "Refer to operating instructions before use". But if you keep telling it to go eventually it works. Once you get past five seconds it works well.

Until yesterday, that is. Now you try to use it and it shows "E1007". I called up Bosch Appliances about it and asked what the code meant. "It means it's broken". So I called one of the recommended appliance repair companies in the area and they'll come look at it the day after tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out which leftovers I'll have for lunch. Oh wait! I can't stick any of those in the microwave to warm them up. I picked something I could warm up in a pan and went ahead with lunch.

But two more days without a microwave! I'm already having withdrawal because we use it so often. I just hope that it can be fixed and costs less than half as much as a new one.

I can remember a few years ago having an electric oven fail, describing the issue and then having someone come out to look at it. "Yep, it's broken and we can't fix it." Some electronic thing had died and couldn't be repaired. At least this issue should be fixable.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post

We have a top of the line Bosch microwave that has been slightly flaky for nearly two years now. Every once in a while it will run for five seconds then shut off and show a message that I would expect to see the very first time you turn it on: "Refer to operating instructions before use". But if you keep telling it to go eventually it works. Once you get past five seconds it works well.

Until yesterday, that is. Now you try to use it and it shows "E1007". I called up Bosch Appliances about it and asked what the code meant. "It means it's broken". So I called one of the recommended appliance repair companies in the area and they'll come look at it the day after tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out which leftovers I'll have for lunch. Oh wait! I can't stick any of those in the microwave to warm them up. I picked something I could warm up in a pan and went ahead with lunch.

But two more days without a microwave! I'm already having withdrawal because we use it so often. I just hope that it can be fixed and costs less than half as much as a new one.

I can remember a few years ago having an electric oven fail, describing the issue and then having someone come out to look at it. "Yep, it's broken and we can't fix it." Some electronic thing had died and couldn't be repaired. At least this issue should be fixable.
            I have never been impressed with Bosch products. We've tried a dishwasher, a fridge, and a gas cooktop. The first two broke really quickly, and the gas cooktop doesn't deliver the promised BTUs. I won't buy Bosch stuff again.
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              I have never been impressed with Bosch products. We've tried a dishwasher, a fridge, and a gas cooktop. The first two broke really quickly, and the gas cooktop doesn't deliver the promised BTUs. I won't buy Bosch stuff again.
              Interesting. When our dishwasher died the week before TG, I ordered a one-month subscription to Consumer Reports just to gather info on a replacement. IIRC, 4 of the top 6 dishwashers were Bosch. And the highest rated was middle-of-the-road in price. I bought that one and it has been great. I guess we’ll see if it stands the rest of time, but perhaps not, as Mrs. D has plans to redo the kitchen within the next few years, and I’m guessing that will include all new matching appliances.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                Interesting. When our dishwasher died the week before TG, I ordered a one-month subscription to Consumer Reports just to gather info on a replacement. IIRC, 4 of the top 6 dishwashers were Bosch. And the highest rated was middle-of-the-road in price. I bought that one and it has been great. I guess we’ll see if it stands the rest of time, but perhaps not, as Mrs. D has plans to redo the kitchen within the next few years, and I’m guessing that will include all new matching appliances.
                That's why I bought the Bosch stuff, Consumer Reports. They usually don't fail me, but I've had no luck with Bosch. I also didn't like how the Bosch cleaned the dishes. The element melted anything if you dried the dishes, and if you didn't, they were always sopping wet. When it died a year ago, I had our guy who does plumbing, electric, HVAC, and gas, who owns an appliance shop, pick me one under $500 and it is better than the previous two we've had. We plan to redo the house while we're in Costa Rica next spring semester, and I imagine that matching appliances are coming our way too.
                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

The first Bosch gas cook top that we had developed problems when we were gone on a two week vacation. We don't know how long it had the issue, but the igniters were going off about three times a second continuously. I just unplugged it and set some matches next to it for a temporary fix, which worked well enough. It was covered under warranty and the repairman had to take it all the way apart to get to whatever wasn't working.

I have the very same one in my new house except that it's 36" wide instead of 30". I still like it.

We love the Bosch dishwasher.

Comment

We have a 1000 watt Amana microwave oven (Raytheon was the original inventor of the microwave oven and Amana was their consumer brand name that they took it to market under) that we bought the week after we got married. It's over 25 years old and never had a problem. Well, that's not true. The light bulb burned out once and we had to replace it.

I remember the sales guy at R.C. Willey told me, "Some day in the future you will thank me for recommending this microwave". 25 years have proved him right.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                      We have a 1000 watt Amana microwave oven (Raytheon was the original inventor of the microwave oven and Amana was their consumer brand name that they took it to market under) that we bought the week after we got married. It's over 25 years old and never had a problem. Well, that's not true. The light bulb burned out once and we had to replace it.

I remember the sales guy at R.C. Willey told me, "Some day in the future you will thank me for recommending this microwave". 25 years have proved him right.
                      So you thanked him? If not, he was wrong (so far).
                      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                        So you thanked him? If not, he was wrong (so far).
                        I thanked him in my mind. I think it counts.

Comment

I fixed my own microwave a year ago, it was a high voltage capacitor. Nothing would turn on, so I looked at the fuses behind the panel, all were okay. I then checked the capacitor after making sure any lingering voltage was discharged.

One thing I learned through the process is that microwaves have fail safes in the door switches that alternatively engage when you open and shut the door, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of those things are off on your microwave.
                          Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 02-26-2020, 02:25 PM.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            One thing I learned through the process is that microwaves have fail safes in the door switches that alternatively engage when you open and shut the door, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of those things are off on your microwave.
                            I don't think so or I wouldn't be able to try several times and finally get it to work without touching anything more than front panel buttons.

I'll know tomorrow what the issue is.

Comment

I'll know tomorrow what the issue is.
                              The appliance repair person looked at the microwave. They'll have to replace the two most expensive parts. It will cost almost as much as buying a new one. And it will take a week to get the parts in.

Anymore, I'm thinking that when an appliance dies just get a new one, even if it's only two years old.

At least I'm thankful that I'm in a position where I can just pay for it, I don't have to get a loan or anything.

Comment

The appliance repair person looked at the microwave. They'll have to replace the two most expensive parts. It will cost almost as much as buying a new one. And it will take a week to get the parts in.

Anymore, I'm thinking that when an appliance dies just get a new one, even if it's only two years old.

At least I'm thankful that I'm in a position where I can just pay for it, I don't have to get a loan or anything.
                                Which brings up an important question: what are the terms on a loan for repair or replacement of a microwave?
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X