No announcement yet.

I had a colonoscopy today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to need one soon. Talk about a club that you wish you never had to join.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Colon cancer runs in our family. It claimed my maternal grandmother's life in fact. I do not look forward to my annual check ups that are rapidly approaching.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        Colon cancer runs in our family. It claimed my maternal grandmother's life in fact. I do not look forward to my annual check ups that are rapidly approaching.
        Once every five years if you have a family history. Once every three if you have a family history and they find some problems on the first one.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
          Get it done. The unpleasantness of the prep experience is nothing compared to what a colonoscopy can easily prevent.
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Not worth the risk. Buck up and get it done.
          Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          Absolutely true. Moreover, I have to confess that the horrors of the prep experience are overstated, mainly for dramatic and comedic effect. The beverage is awful, and the experience is, overall, an unpleasant one, but it's offset in part by the comedic elements. And it's certainly infinitely better than enduring months of chemotherapy, a colostomy or death. Git 'er done.
          So... nobody has any numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
            I could Google them for you, but will instead allow you to do so during my lesson this Sunday using my iPad (provided you covenant not to play Angry Birds during said lesson). I think the vast majority of health professionals have determined that getting a post-50 colonoscopy is statistically very much to one's benefit.

Comment

Once every five years if you have a family history. Once every three if you have a family history and they find some problems on the first one.
              Good to know. My mom has one annually I am pretty sure. But she has had polyps removed and some other related issues.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                Good to know. My mom has one annually I am pretty sure. But she has had polyps removed and some other related issues.
                I am just going on what they told me today.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I'm no expert, but according to this site, the lifetime risk in men for developing colorectal cancer is over 5%. Since colonoscopies are very succesful in nipping thing in the bud (or polyp), I would imagine the odds are considerably worse for someone who is never screened.

Colorectal is the third most common form of diagnosed cancer.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/colonan...key-statistics

I did some quick googling, and it looks to me (not a doctor, nurse, or anything mediaclly related), that, discounting age, cancer is generally found in about 0.5% to 1% of cases, and polyps are found 5% to 10% of the time.

Also, as PAC said, the prep miseries are not as bad as you may be fearing. My wife in no way enjoyed it, but she has had several procedures that have been worse.

Comment

Not worth the risk. Buck up and get it done.
                    Agreed. It's only 24 hours of of your life, beginning with one night of often-interrupted sleep. If you just have a sense of humor about it (I did; it really is comic, as PAC notes below - what else can a guy do but laugh?) it's not all that bad.
                    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                      This is a freebie. How many dreaded diseases can be erased as a risk with a high degree of certainty this way? I'd go through a great deal more discomfort than the colonoscopy prep to address Alzeimer's so effectively and efficiently. Fearing medical science is not rational. It's like nut jobs who eschew vaccinations. I've had this same talk with each of my kids at least once before their flu shots. Sometimes they say they'd rather have the flu. Oh yeah, I say. I've shown them the clusters of little head stones from back when there were no flu shots. Medical science is a wonderful thinkg; I always follow the consensus, the norm.
                      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                        This is a freebie. How many dreaded diseases can be erased as a risk with a high degree of certainty this way? I'd go through a great deal more discomfort than the colonoscopy prep to address Alzeimer's so effectively and efficiently. Fearing medical science is not rational. It's like nut jobs who eschew vaccinations. I've had this same talk with each of my kids at least once before their flu shots. Sometimes they say they'd rather have the flu. Oh yeah, I say. I've shown them the clusters of little head stones from back when there were no flu shots. Medical science is a wonderful thinkg; I always follow the consensus, the norm.
                        Are you suggesting that fluoridated drinking water might actually be a good idea???
                        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                        ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                          Are you suggesting that fluoridated drinking water might actually be a good idea???
                          lol is there still not fluoridated water in Utah? I'm remembering what the Tribunes "Mike Waters" said about Mormons.
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

So when you all did your prep - did the stuff taste awful or just have a horrible consistency (slightly diluted wall paper paste), or both?

There are two kinds of prep - one that is just as nasty thick liquid without any taste, and one that tastes horrible on top of it, that 'conscientious' doctors give you to replace all your electrolytes - in advance. Thanks for caring. My guess is the folks that say it wasn't so bad got the flavorless kind...

To me the 6 hours after drinking that horrendous swill wasn't nearly as bad as the hour spent forcing a gallon of it down. And each time my wife handed me another glass to drink, feeling compelled to add "don't throw it up or you'll have to drink more..."

The half gallon of "Berry-yum Smoothy" I had to chug for a test few weeks earlier was almost as bad. Not quite, but almost. And it made me just as sick...

Comment

They should probably tell you that the IV contrast before a CT scan makes your butt feel like you just shit your pants, even though you didn't. I freaked out because, of course, they said, "DO NOT MOVE!"
                              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by statman View Post
                                So when you all did your prep - did the stuff taste awful or just have a horrible consistency (slightly diluted wall paper paste), or both?

There are two kinds of prep - one that is just as nasty thick liquid without any taste, and one that tastes horrible on top of it, that 'conscientious' doctors give you to replace all your electrolytes - in advance. Thanks for caring. My guess is the folks that say it wasn't so bad got the flavorless kind...

To me the 6 hours after drinking that horrendous swill wasn't nearly as bad as the hour spent forcing a gallon of it down. And each time my wife handed me another glass to drink, feeling compelled to add "don't throw it up or you'll have to drink more..."

The half gallon of "Berry-yum Smoothy" I had to chug for a test few weeks earlier was almost as bad. Not quite, but almost. And it made me just as sick...
                                I had to drink three bottles of magnesium citrate drink. They were 10 ounces each and I did 1.5 bottles last night and 1.5 bottles this morning. I chilled them and they were carbonated with a sweet lemon flavor. Not bad at all. It was the resulting fiesta in my GI tract that was the problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X