Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

I don't know how many of you Cuffers like to hit the slopes, but I know I've read a few posts about skiing from some of you (jxncoog and Surfah come to mind).

Think of this thread as a winter version of the Golf thread--relive your favorite ski/board days, talk about future skiing plans, share news of upcoming snow forecasts, or whatever. Maybe some day we will have a Cuffer ski day at Snowbird or something.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

WHen my knees were much younger I used to ski a lot. One of my most memorable days was skiing on Germania at Alta on a mid week late winter day (who needs school?) when i was 17. At the mid run lodge the staff dragged out these old klipsch speakers thay used and were BLASTING suffragette city as my firned and I blasted through the bumps down to the face.

Now, fast forward more years than I care to count and I am up on a silly little slope at a silly little resort in california (really, I am embarassed to mention it) and for the firs ttime I brought my mp3 player with me skiing. I pop it on as I statrt down the run and of the 500 or so songs I have on there, the one it randomply plays is, you guessed, suffragette City. I felt the decades melt away, and I didnt even fall. A glorious day.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

sadly, i think this season is dunzo.

I could be wrong, though.

I thought we'd get way more snow than we did. I didn't even have any epic days. Suck.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

My kids go at least once a week (not on Utah quality slopes but they like it). In our neck of the woods they let the kids out of school early every Wednesday so they can go hit the slopes.
        Last edited by pelagius; 03-12-2010, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
          WHen my knees were much younger I used to ski a lot. One of my most memorable days was skiing on Germania at Alta on a mid week late winter day (who needs school?) when i was 17. At the mid run lodge the staff dragged out these old klipsch speakers thay used and were BLASTING suffragette city as my firned and I blasted through the bumps down to the face.

Now, fast forward more years than I care to count and I am up on a silly little slope at a silly little resort in california (really, I am embarassed to mention it) and for the firs ttime I brought my mp3 player with me skiing. I pop it on as I statrt down the run and of the 500 or so songs I have on there, the one it randomply plays is, you guessed, suffragette City. I felt the decades melt away, and I didnt even fall. A glorious day.
          For a person that loves skiing (over snowboarding) is there anything more classic than the Germania chair at Alta?

Alta is one of my favorite recreational places I've ever been and by far my favorite place to ski in Utah.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Last week, my wife and kids drove down to Park City to stay at my in-laws' time share at PC Resort. We stayed for about a week. The snow wasn't great at first, but a storm was moving in and those really big flakes started coming down on us during our first morning on the mountain. By the second morning, about 10 inches had accumulated. It was a little wet and heavy for Utah snow but still great.

We skiied Thaynes for a lot of that first day and had great snow all day. The moguls were perfect--enough snow on top of them to make them nice and soft. To me, one of the the best feelings is going down through powder, maintaining a good rhythm, floating back and forth. Awesome.

We only got a significant amount of snow that first day, and it was kind of cloudy with the sun peeking through the rest of the week. The great thing was that even five days later, there were patches of untracked snow over on Jupiter Bowl. Skiing in fresh snow in the sunshine =

I was worried on the first day that I would be gassed after just a few runs because this was the only skiing I've been able to do since this same trip a year ago, but I managed to keep up with the other skiers (my Father-in-Law and Sister-in-Law, who are both great skiiers).

On the third day we were there, I took my daughter for a few runs on the beginner lift. She is too young to really learn much actual skiing technique and I mostly held her as we went, but it was really cool to be able to get her on skiis and see her enjoy it. Ever since she was born, I have looked forward to teaching her how to ski. A few days later, I took her out again and she lasted a little longer.

Overall, it was an awesome trip and makes me want to quit my job and become a ski bum. I wonder what my wife will think about that?
            "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
            "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
            This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug

Comment

I started skiing when I was five at Alta. I was fortunate that I grew up within five to ten minutes of Big Cottonwood Canyon . I was also fortunate that I had a father that loved to ski and paid for it. I also started snowboarding back in the early eighties before the sport was even allowed at Utah resorts. I had a Burton Backhill in those days and would take it up into the back country when my family went snowmobiling.

I was pretty hard core all the way through college and then because of knee injuries (in other sports) switched exclusively to snowboarding for many years. The introduction of shaped skis got me back into skiing because they were shorter, more precise, took some of the guesswork out of skiing crud, and more knee friendly. Now I mostly ski although it's more of ski groomers and enjoy being in the mountains type of deal. I still pull out the snowboard on deep powder days.

Current equipment is Rossignol Bandit XX skis with Salomon bindings. My old Salomon boots just gave up the ghost so I'm in the market for something else. The Bandit XX skis are among the best all mountain skis ever built and I will keep them until they die.

I demo'd a lot of boards before I finally settled on an Airwalk Champ 165. I have the really nice Shimano Skylord clicker boots and clicker bindings. I've outgrown the boots which is a bummer because they were top of the line and really expensive. The clicker setup has fallen out of favor for most so I'll probably get some new boots and Flow bindings for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                For a person that loves skiing (over snowboarding) is there anything more classic than the Germania chair at Alta?

Alta is one of my favorite recreational places I've ever been and by far my favorite place to ski in Utah.
                ALta is my favorite place to ski ever. I have skied all over the west and in quite afew places in Europe and have never been anywhere I like more than Alta.

Oh, and as you know, if you bring your snowboard, you can stadn with it in the parking lot, becasue they won't let you up on the slopes with it. (Is this still true? I guess I havent been ther in a few years .. .)
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I agree about Alta. My favorite place to ski in Utah and maybe second-fave overall, after Teton Village (although Targhee comes close for sentimental reasons).

I have a theory that the snow stays better longer at Alta because there are no snowboards with their larger surface area to pack it down. I have noticed after skiing consecutive days at Snowbird and Alta (a few weeks after the most recent snow storm) that Alta had significantly better snow.

Not that I have anything against boarders--most of family snowboards--just something I noticed.

Comment

ALta is my favorite place to ski ever. I have skied all over the west and in quite afew places in Europe and have never been anywhere I like more than Alta.

Oh, and as you know, if you bring your snowboard, you can stadn with it in the parking lot, becasue they won't let you up on the slopes with it. (Is this still true? I guess I havent been ther in a few years .. .)
                    It is still true and still as blessed as ever.

Snowboarders need not apply.

I have never skied Euro, but have skied Utah, Idaho, Mammoth, Tahoe, Colorado, and Vermont. Alta is also my fave. Vermont was an abomination and people on the East coast should be embarrassed to call that skiing. Worst snow possible. Icy conditions and flat mountains.

I'd love to ski in Italy....the place where they filmed the original Pink Panther movie. So awesome. We were going to go there this past year but had to change our plans. I still want to get there someday.

sigpic

Comment

Snowboarders can always get to the top of Snowbird and hike the little bit to the top and board down. But yes, it is still true that you are not allowed on the chairlifts if you only have 1 stick.

Comment

It is still true and still as blessed as ever.

Snowboarders need not apply.

I have never skied Euro, but have skied Utah, Idaho, Mammoth, Tahoe, Colorado, and Vermont. Alta is also my fave. Vermont was an abomination and people on the East coast should be embarrassed to call that skiing. Worst snow possible. Icy conditions and flat mountains.

I'd love to ski in Italy....the place where they filmed the original Pink Panther movie. So awesome. We were going to go there this past year but had to change our plans. I still want to get there someday.
                        We skied courmayer (sp?) and a couple of other places in Italy and enoyed it very much. But it wasn't better than Alta.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I haven't skied anywhere in the East but skiing Lake Placid is on my bucket list.

My FIL went to France last month for a skiing trip and I was invited but couldn't go. The original itinerary included 3 nights in Chamonix and 5 nights in Arabba in the Dolomites.

Maybe next year.

Comment

I think it's cool that Alta still only allows skiers. I haven't been there in years, though. Do they still have those rickety old chairs? I remember skiing there with my pops in the fifth grade and taking down my first black diamond and riding Sugarloaf on the same day. It was like a coming of age experience. It almost makes me want to start skiing again.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              I think it's cool that Alta still only allows skiers. I haven't been there in years, though. Do they still have those rickety old chairs? I remember skiing there with my pops in the fifth grade and taking down my first black diamond and riding Sugarloaf on the same day. It was like a coming of age experience. It almost makes me want to start skiing again.
                              the winter sports community does not need guys with Slayer stickers loitering around on the slopes. please go "catch some extreme air" somewhere else. I am sure there are plenty of other places to "get radical" on your snowboard, "bro."

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X