Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    What about fluconazole?
    As a weird treatment for c dif, Yup, I would classify that as weird.

via a galaxy s3 far far away
    "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
      Check that - The guys I know are in Orem and Payson.
      I live in Provo, but would be willing to drive some. Want to PM me the names?
      "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
      —Abraham Maslow

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
        Think about fecal transplants next time you feel like demanding an antibiotic from your doctor.
        how do they select donors?
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
          how do they select donors?
          There is a rating scale based upon the color, consistency, previous antibiotic use, history of infectious diseases, history of coronary artery disease, high consideration for typical cross match, and, of course, potency.

Comment

• Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
            There is a rating scale based upon the color, consistency, previous antibiotic use, history of infectious diseases, history of coronary artery disease, high consideration for typical cross match, and, of course, potency.

SO somebody has that job? Rating donor feces on a scale?
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
              SO somebody has that job? Rating donor feces on a scale?
              It is important. Poo particles can get in the blood stream during the implantation, which can cause donor rejection and explosive expulsion. That would make it all for not and increase resistance. Plus, it makes for an unpleasant clinic visit.

Comment

• Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
                It is important. Poo particles can get in the blood stream during the implantation, which can cause donor rejection and explosive expulsion. That would make itall for not and increase resistance. Plus, it makes for an unpleasant clinic visit.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  What a naughty post.
                  "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...rogs-skin.aspx

Following up on an ancient Russian way of keeping milk from going sour - by putting a frog in the bucket of milk - scientists have identified a wealth of new antibiotic substances in the skin of the Russian Brown frog. The study appears in ACS' Journal of Proteome Research.

A. T. Lebedev and colleagues explain that amphibians secrete antimicrobial substances called peptides through their skin. These compounds make up the majority of their skin secretions and act as a first line of defense against bacteria and other microorganisms that thrive in the wet places frogs, toads, salamanders and other amphibians live. A previous study identified on the skin of the Russian Brown frog 21 substances with antibiotic and other potential medical activity. Lebedev's team set out to find more of these potential medical treasures.

They used a sensitive laboratory technique to expand the list of such substances on the frogs' skin, identifying 76 additional substances of this kind. They describe lab tests in which some of the substances performed as well against Salmonella and Staphylococcus bacteria as some prescription antibiotic medicines. "These peptides could be potentially useful for the prevention of both pathogenic and antibiotic resistant bacterial strains while their action may also explain the traditional experience of rural populations," the scientists concluded.
                    Link to original research article (you have to buy it)

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/pr300890m
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                      I hope something comes from this. Now some of our big gun antibiotics are becoming resistant.

Comment

• So what are the guidelines post-dog bite? I got tagged this morning while running and it appears to be more of a strong abrasion to the skin, with some swelling. It's not bleeding, though it's red like blood on the surface.

The woman said the dog had all its shots, they're from a nice neighborhood, but it's a rescue dog, with some kind of pit or boxer in it. Off the freaking leash!
                        I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
                          So what are the guidelines post-dog bite? I got tagged this morning while running and it appears to be more of a strong abrasion to the skin, with some swelling. It's not bleeding, though it's red like blood on the surface.

The woman said the dog had all its shots, they're from a nice neighborhood, but it's a rescue dog, with some kind of pit or boxer in it. Off the freaking leash!
                          What I did was call the Sherriff and contacted Animal Control. They verified that the dog was up to date and kept it in lockdown until tests were run. Anything to inconvenience the owner.

Comment

So what are the guidelines post-dog bite? I got tagged this morning while running and it appears to be more of a strong abrasion to the skin, with some swelling. It's not bleeding, though it's red like blood on the surface.

Shoot the dog, gut it, find the liver. If it's brown, you should be ok.
                            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Wash it out really, really, really well.
                              We used to put all bites on Augmentin, but that's fallen out of favor as we've discovered infection rates aren't really any higher in animal bites as they are in other injuries of the same type. Cat bites are bad for infection because they tend to be deep puncture wounds, which is a just a bad wound type for infection--nothing to do with the cat. Dog bites don't tend to be so deep, or at least not so needle-like, so the tissue tends to be a little more accessible to irrigation--which is really what makes a difference in infection rates.
                              Oh, and don't use hydrogen peroxide. We really need to take that stuff off the general market. No special antibiotic soaps either. Just lots and lots of water.
                              If it starts turning red, then go see a doc. (This is all assuming the wound doesn't need to be closed).
                              If you're worried about rabies, you should have already contacted animal control and they can guide you through what to do. Essentially, the dog needs to be quarantined and watched for 10 days. If it doesn't ever show any signs of rabies, you're good.
                              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                                Wash it out really, really, really well.
                                We used to put all bites on Augmentin, but that's fallen out of favor as we've discovered infection rates aren't really any higher in animal bites as they are in other injuries of the same type. Cat bites are bad for infection because they tend to be deep puncture wounds, which is a just a bad wound type for infection--nothing to do with the cat. Dog bites don't tend to be so deep, or at least not so needle-like, so the tissue tends to be a little more accessible to irrigation--which is really what makes a difference in infection rates.
                                Oh, and don't use hydrogen peroxide. We really need to take that stuff off the general market. No special antibiotic soaps either. Just lots and lots of water.
                                If it starts turning red, then go see a doc. (This is all assuming the wound doesn't need to be closed).
                                If you're worried about rabies, you should have already contacted animal control and they can guide you through what to do. Essentially, the dog needs to be quarantined and watched for 10 days. If it doesn't ever show any signs of rabies, you're good.
                                Is there any reason to use hydrogen peroxide at home (in a healthcare sense)?

Comment

Working...
                                X