No announcement yet.

The Dog Lover Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will be picking Lucky up today and burying him under his favorite spot. I thought I was doing well but the call sucked. My wife has been pretty emotional about him and how much she misses him. It has caught her by surprise. But this will be the closure we all need. Plan to get a little memorial stone over his spot.

Comment

• sorry about lucky.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        sorry about lucky.
        Guess he didn't live up to his name.

Too soon? Sorry brock, I honestly feel for your family. (Maybe get a new puppy when the time is right?) I just think it's funny that his name was Lucky.
        "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
          Guess he didn't live up to his name.

Too soon? Sorry brock, I honestly feel for your family. (Maybe get a new puppy when the time is right?) I just think it's funny that his name was Lucky.
          We named him Lucky because we saved him, and we were Lucky to have him.. It was fitting..

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
            We named him Lucky because we saved him, and we were Lucky to have him.. It was fitting..
            SJS Brock
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• PetCo now sells a line of gourmet pet treats. I picked up some dried kangaroo tail yesterday and my dog is crazy for them. They also sell crocodile bones, freeze dried New Zealand mussels, pork trachea, chicken hearts, chicken tails, beef and kiwi fruit mix, salmon fins, and salmon tails. The gourmet pet food movement is toward 1 ingredient only, so the kangaroo tail treats contain just kangaroo. I think this movement was driven by the Chinese pet treat scandal, as people pay close attention to A. What ingredients are in the treat, and B. The country of Origin. Petco no longer sells any treats sourced in China, and they wont even use sources with supply chains running through China.

Comment

Petco no longer sells any treats sourced in China, and they wont even use sources with supply chains running through China.
                  Good.
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                  -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• ESAD, dog lovers. You make me sick.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451269796.777475.jpg
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• I let my dog come in the house - in a crate - when the temp falls below 10 degrees. I'm not sure if that makes me a dog lover.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                        I let my dog come in the house - in a crate - when the temp falls below 10 degrees. I'm not sure if that makes me a dog lover.
                        Our dog rarely sees the inside of our house. We let her in tonight for about 20 mins, which is highly unusual. Some dogs just belong outside. Ours is a Jack Russell and she's one that belongs outside. She prefers chasing squirrels, birds and lizards more than sitting on cold tile.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I hope that you outside dog owners provide shelter and lots of warm blankets for them. (If you're in a cold climate)

Comment

I hope that you outside dog owners provide shelter and lots of warm blankets for them. (If you're in a cold climate)
                            Her doghouse hovers between 60-70 degrees and she's got the run of the entire backyard including a covered porch, plenty of grass and unlimited entertainment between the wildlife and the automatic pool equipment.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• It's been a little over a year since everyone in the NWC household (except me) went puppy crazy. We got our first dog 9 years ago, when she was about 10 months old. At the time, we thought it was the best of both worlds; she was still puppy-ish, and we didn't have to go through all the hassle of having a real puppy. But Mrs. NWC wanted to give the kids the experience of having a puppy. I know, crazy.

Our first dog, Star, really has been about as good as we could have hoped for. She's pretty mellow, and content to do her own thing most of the time. She's been a great trail dog too. So when my wife started looking for a new dog, it was natural to think that another Wheaton Terrier would be like Star, right? We put in our order for the same breeder that we got Star from. The two dogs would even be kind of related. We thought we had planned pretty well. We would have two low maintenance dogs who would be content lying next to each other and not make much of a mess. I think we had the same flawed thinking that most of us have when we decide to have a second kid...

I have to admit, he was a very cute puppy. Our youngest had naming rights. We suggested staying with the celestial bodies theme, so she picked Apollo:
                              IMG_3722.jpg

It didn't take long for Star to realize her days of being Queen were numbered. It was interesting, and sad, to see her change emotionally. She really didn't know what to do. Apollo adored Star, but the feeling wasn't mutual. Star has accepted him and tolerates him. Although they have gotten closer, I think most days Star would have preferred living out her days as an only child.

Apollo learned the ropes from Star:
                              IMG_3790.jpg
                              IMG_3993.jpg

But then it was very interesting how much he quickly he diverged from Star. Again, we were expecting to have a 'Star Jr.' with him. Star gives us little drama, she rarely barks, and pretty much keeps to her own. Apollo? Pretty much the opposite of everything I just said.

Very early on he quickly attached to us. He always wants to be near us, which is endearing. But then again, he ALWAYS has to be near us. We were just not used to that. And, he barks. Not a lot, but enough to now get Star barking more than she ever did

But even though he is a pain in the ass, he is a very sweet dog. The kids love him, I love him (begrudgingly). He is now a little older than when Star was when we got her. He's lost his cute puppy fur, and looks a lot like Star. He's even bigger than her. And Star has learned to accept his intrusion into her life.
                              IMG_4901.jpg
                              IMG_5397.jpg
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Well, it has been 3 years since we lost our dog Lucky. Putting him down was one of the hardest things I had to do. I still get emotional about it. However, my kids have begged and cried to us to get another dog. I love dogs but was leaving this up to my wife. If we were to get a new dog I wanted her to pursue it and get the dog so she would be fully invested in it.

Well, my kids finally wore her down and she began browsing around looking at dogs. I told her if we were going to get a dog, I wanted a little one as I end up doing all the cleaning after it.

Well, she surprised me last Friday with emails of a dog she wanted that she found. He is a Applehead Chihuahua. He is about 2 months old. She drove 2 hrs. Friday to pick him up and ring him home.

We surprised the kids that afternoon and they are so excited! They are already attached to him as well as my wife. He is a little lap-dog and needs lots of work as a new puppy. But my wife is "All-in".

I am also starting to get attached to the little fella (Champion, Champ for short).

My 6 year old daughter named him and his name is fitting for sure.

It is nice to have a dog in the house again. No matter how scared to death I am he might get hurt (Weighs 2 pounds right now, and will get to 7-9 pounds at full growth).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X