Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
    Since they were $50 off (are they always $50 of?), I picked up an Anova this week and am going to break it in for Sunday dinner. I figure I should start in Sous Vide's wheelhouse, and go with steaks, but was also considering Short Ribs. Serious Eats has a ton of info on steaks, but not so much on short ribs (maybe that means I should avoid it, or that I suck at searching). Has anyone done this?
    Originally posted by kccougar View Post
    Ok, ok, I've jumped on the bandwagon. My Christmas present to myself should arrive on Tuesday. I assume I should start with steak?
    Start with some good quality steaks. I like to cook them at 134 for 1-3 hrs. Then pat dry and sear in a hot skillet. Put some salt and pepper or spade L on the steaks before cooking.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

So I need to buy a vacuum sealer in addition to the Anova circulator, correct?
      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

no, it helps but ziplock bags work
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          One is Bluetooth and one is Wi-Fi. You should buy the cheaper one, (Bluetooth), because you don't need any kind of wireless capability with this thing. I haven't used it a single time. All you need to do a spin the dial with your thumb to set the temperature and push the start button. That's it.
          It looks like the difference between the two is one is 800 watts and has bluetooth $129. The $149 version has 100 more watts and adds wifi so you can get alerts about your cooking while you are not home, like when it catches your house on fire or something.

Edit: I going to wait until Walter gives his opinion before pulling the trigger on one of these. I guess he is still sleeping off the hang over from his sled dawgs' win last night.
          Last edited by Uncle Ted; 12-03-2016, 08:37 AM.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Start with some good quality steaks. I like to cook them at 134 for 1-3 hrs. Then pat dry and sear in a hot skillet. Put some salt and pepper or spade L on the steaks before cooking.
            i've had my best results with steak at 128.5, but i guess it depends on how down you like steak

Comment

You should buy a vacuum sealer because it will change your life. I don't know how people live without them. I seal our left over BBQ (ribs, pork, brisket, etc.) and it tastes just like fresh when we thaw and eat it weeks later.

Having owned several vacuum sealers, I highly recommend you get one that lets you manually control the vacuum and seal functions. Otherwise they sometimes seal before you have all the air out. This one has that function and it also has a quick function with extra suction:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...F_CJ___2617611

Also, the third-party vacuum seal bags are much cheaper and they work fine. We prefer the 8-inch width.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                i've had my best results with steak at 128.5, but i guess it depends on how down you like steak
                Sure. We have tried different temps and 134 is what our gang prefers. Still pink from edge to edge, on the upper range of medium-rare.

Here is a guide:

Comment

This is a nice guide for sous vide steaks:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/f...ide-steak.html

Comment

anybody tried one of those blow torch searing attachments? i might give it a shot

Comment

anybody tried one of those blow torch searing attachments? i might give it a shot
                      I have one but haven't tried it yet. (I just have a propane torch from the hardware store)

Typically I will put my cast iron skillet in the oven at 500 degrees. I take it out right before I'm ready to sear and put it on the gas stove at high. Makes a lot of smoke but works great.
                      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Yes. It worked OK. I also tried finishing over charcoal. In the end, I think a hot cast iron pan is the simplest and best way to go.

Comment

You should buy a vacuum sealer because it will change your life. I don't know how people live without them. I seal our left over BBQ (ribs, pork, brisket, etc.) and it tastes just like fresh when we thaw and eat it weeks later
                          Ditto.

I have an older model that my mom gave us several years ago. It works fine but I think I'm going to upgrade for my Christmas present.
                          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
                            I have one but haven't tried it yet. (I just have a propane torch from the hardware store)

Typically I will put my cast iron skillet in the oven at 500 degrees. I take it out right before I'm ready to sear and put it on the gas stove at high. Makes a lot of smoke but works great.
                            smoke and mess is the problem i'm trying to avoid for convenience. if going for best result, i'll do cast iron on the stove. but it makes too big of a mess to do regularly, at least as far as i'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              It looks like the difference between the two is one is 800 watts and has bluetooth $129. The $149 version has 100 more watts and adds wifi so you can get alerts about your cooking while you are not home, like when it catches your house on fire or something.

Edit: I going to wait until Walter gives his opinion before pulling the trigger on one of these. I guess he is still sleeping off the hang over from his sled dawgs' win last night.
                              Get the cheaper one. You will never use the wireless connectivity, bluetooth or wi-fi; it's a "hands-on" device.

I use 129. 134 is too high. JL's gang sounds unsophisticated.

I have one. I use it for roasts and other irregularly shaped items. For steaks, like JL said, cast iron pan is best.
                              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post

What type of oil do you use to sear? I typically use a mix of olive oil and butter but when I sear really hot the butter burns so quickly.
                                "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Working...
                                X