No announcement yet.

9 AM Press Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a "spiritual prompting" that it was the right decision to propose to my wife during a talk given by DHO in conference. The future wife and I were on a vacation in Utah and actually attended a session of conference. A lot can change in nearly 11 years.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
      I had a "spiritual prompting" that it was the right decision to propose to my wife during a talk given by DHO in conference. The future wife and I were on a vacation in Utah and actually attended a session of conference. A lot can change in nearly 11 years.
      I hope you still consider it the right decision, funk.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I had a "spiritual prompting" that it was the right decision to propose to my wife during a talk given by DHO in conference. The future wife and I were on a vacation in Utah and actually attended a session of conference. A lot can change in nearly 11 years.

You proposed to your wife while attending a general conference session? Cool beans, but your fate with the church was pretty much sealed right there.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          I hope you still consider it the right decision, funk.
          Without question the right decision.
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Without question the right decision.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

You proposed to your wife while attending a general conference session? Cool beans, but your fate with the church was pretty much sealed right there.
              Nah the proposal happened later. The "spiritual confirmation" occurred at that GC session.

It is odd though looking back at how much my belief system has changed.
              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                I remember specifically noticing how DHO's shoulders bounced when he laughed
                I remember this as well.

Comment

• I don't know if this has been addressed in one of the other threads, but I just heard today that Elder Eyring (and his wife, incidentally) has severe, disabling dementia. If true, that changes my thoughts on how much meaning this "demotion" has.

Obviously, I don't blame anyone who is skeptical. I'm not as much, simply because I know the source, who would know (and maybe shouldn't be sharing that info--which is why I'm not specifying who it is). We can skip the obligatory and obvious objection that this is secondhand info from an unnamed source. I'm not really interested in making the point, just curious if this is common knowledge or not.

EDIT: Actually, this is thirdhand info--a friend (who is out of the church) told me, and that person is friends with the person who would know. So appropriate skepticism. I haven't seen evidence of it, but I haven't been paying attention.
                  Last edited by ERCougar; 01-31-2018, 11:58 AM.
                  At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• his wife's dementia is common knowledge
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                      I don't know if this has been addressed in one of the other threads, but I just heard today that Elder Eyring (and his wife, incidentally) has severe, disabling dementia. If true, that changes my thoughts on how much meaning this "demotion" has.

Obviously, I don't blame anyone who is skeptical. I'm not as much, simply because I know the source, who would know (and maybe shouldn't be sharing that info--which is why I'm not specifying who it is). We can skip the obligatory and obvious objection that this is secondhand info from an unnamed source. I'm not really interested in making the point, just curious if this is common knowledge or not.
                      It's clear he's not as quick or as sharp as he used to be. In that press conference, I couldn't exactly tell, but it seemed like he took step by step very deliberately and took a long time to make the short distance in to his chair. I felt bad for him. I don't know if that kind of thing in old people is purely physical or related to dementia. The way he answered questions didn't seem like the Eyring we've gotten used to knowing over the past 20 years, who is as sharp as they come.

I think it's getting to the point where it's critical they put in an emeritus apostle plan. With modern science extending average life span, it's going to become more and more likely that a large portion of them are not fully functioning.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                        It's clear he's not as quick or as sharp as he used to be. In that press conference, I couldn't exactly tell, but it seemed like he took step by step very deliberately and took a long time to make the short distance in to his chair. I felt bad for him. I don't know if that kind of thing in old people is purely physical or related to dementia. The way he answered questions didn't seem like the Eyring we've gotten used to knowing over the past 20 years, who is as sharp as they come.

I think it's getting to the point where it's critical they put in an emeritus apostle plan. With modern science extending average life span, it's going to become more and more likely that a large portion of them are not fully functioning.
                        This has been discussed for years. It's in place for all other positions and why it's not in place for this important position is understandable given pronouncements but not very practical.
                        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                          This has been discussed for years. It's in place for all other positions and why it's not in place for this important position is understandable given pronouncements but not very practical.
                          Probably don't want to pay those outrageous apostle salaries for more than 15 people and lease more than 15 Avalons.
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Probably don't want to pay those outrageous apostle salaries for more than 15 people and lease more than 15 Avalons.
                            Lol. Please no more Avalons.
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

that's legitimately funny.

Comment

• As for emeritus several prophets declined in later years. What would of happened if Marion outlived Ezra. He was second in line when he had zero capacity. Fortunately he went to Heaven first. Dilemma there. Almost anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X