Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Originally posted by Armenag View Post
    What's the content like? Reviews seem very favorable; surprised it hasn't had more press.
    It is for mature audiences: it takes place mostly in London, so fair share of F-bombs, a couple quick sex scenes, a few shootouts, drug use, some cutting off of fingers (Japanese mafia atonement), etc. the finger cutting was the only thing that I thought was a little too graphic. I really enjoyed the use of sound, good music (Japanese and English) in parts that are supported by silence in other parts. The climax/ending was a little strange since it included an interpretive dance routine.
    Last edited by Sullyute; 01-16-2020, 08:27 AM.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
      Giri/Haji is really good. A crime drama based in London and Tokyo. A Japanese detective has to go to London to track down his gangster brother. Really artistic, lots of subtitles and subplots, unique filming with a little anime. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
      Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out. I watch a lot of japanese programming on netflix.

BTW, don't waste your time with The Outsider - netflix movie about an american guy who joins the yakuza. Absolutely horrible.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out. I watch a lot of japanese programming on netflix.

BTW, don't waste your time with The Outsider - netflix movie about an american guy who joins the yakuza. Absolutely horrible.
        For a moment I thought you were talking about the upcoming HBO series The Outsider about a child murder in the U.S. and I thought "the yakuza?!?"
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
          For a moment I thought you were talking about the upcoming HBO series The Outsider about a child murder in the U.S. and I thought "the yakuza?!?"
          That is the Stephen King adaption. It will probably suck even though the book was pretty good.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
            That is the Stephen King adaption. It will probably suck even though the book was pretty good.
            Looks pretty good.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Did anyone watch Messiah? Despite garnering a lousy 41% on RT (7.9 on IMDB), I found it mildly entertaining, if a bit ponderous at times. The eponymous character is a mysterious character who many in the Middle East and the U.S. believe may be THE Messiah, but the CIA and others think he's at least a fraud, and possibly a terrorist. One element I found amusing was that the show's POTUS, who wonders if the mystery man is the real deal, turns out to be LDS. The implication is that because of POTUS's belief in things like angels and golden plates (specifically mentioned), he's more inclined to believe the guy. I would think an LDS POTUS would be far less likely to believe such a thing, unless RMN had tipped him off that the guy was legit...

POTUS's name is President Young, btw.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                Did anyone watch Messiah? Despite garnering a lousy 41% on RT (7.9 on IMDB), I found it mildly entertaining, if a bit ponderous at times. The eponymous character is a mysterious character who many in the Middle East and the U.S. believe may be THE Messiah, but the CIA and others think he's at least a fraud, and possibly a terrorist. One element I found amusing was that the show's POTUS, who wonders if the mystery man is the real deal, turns out to be LDS. The implication is that because of POTUS's belief in things like angels and golden plates (specifically mentioned), he's more inclined to believe the guy. I would think an LDS POTUS would be far less likely to believe such a thing, unless RMN had tipped him off that the guy was legit...

We are a couple episodes in. I like the premise.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  It raises interesting questions about belief. BTW, the POTUS element of the story is a very minor one, and I don't think he appears until episode 8 or so.

Comment

It raises interesting questions about belief. BTW, the POTUS element of the story is a very minor one, and I don't think he appears until episode 8 or so.
                    Thanks for the suggestion. I skipped it assuming it was probably some lame modern version of the gospels. In fact, I very much like it.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• First episode of Little America, free on AppleTV. This show purports to be true stories of indian immigrants in America. The first one is about a 12-year old indian boy, who helps his parents to run a motel in Green River, UT. They get called back to India, leave the kid in the care of an "uncle" who soon deserts the kid. The 12-year old ends up running the motel for years until his parent successfully return with their US visa. The kid is now about 20.

Comment

• Not found.

Screenshot_2020-01-19-12-34-42.jpg
                        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                          First episode of Little America, free on AppleTV. This show purports to be true stories of indian immigrants in America. The first one is about a 12-year old indian boy, who helps his parents to run a motel in Green River, UT. They get called back to India, leave the kid in the care of an "uncle" who soon deserts the kid. The 12-year old ends up running the motel for years until his parent successfully return with their US visa. The kid is now about 20.
                          Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                          Not found.

[ATTACH]9941[/ATTACH]
                          Yeah this this the second time in as many weeks KL has demonstrated that she struggles with the idea of separate threads for each of the major streaming providers.
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                            First episode of Little America, free on AppleTV. This show purports to be true stories of indian immigrants in America. The first one is about a 12-year old indian boy, who helps his parents to run a motel in Green River, UT. They get called back to India, leave the kid in the care of an "uncle" who soon deserts the kid. The 12-year old ends up running the motel for years until his parent successfully return with their US visa. The kid is now about 20.
                            I know it's obvs the wrong thread, but was that kid in the spelling bee a few years back? I swear I remember a Green River motel kid being in the bee....

Comment

Did anyone watch Messiah? Despite garnering a lousy 41% on RT (7.9 on IMDB), I found it mildly entertaining, if a bit ponderous at times. The eponymous character is a mysterious character who many in the Middle East and the U.S. believe may be THE Messiah, but the CIA and others think he's at least a fraud, and possibly a terrorist. One element I found amusing was that the show's POTUS, who wonders if the mystery man is the real deal, turns out to be LDS. The implication is that because of POTUS's belief in things like angels and golden plates (specifically mentioned), he's more inclined to believe the guy. I would think an LDS POTUS would be far less likely to believe such a thing, unless RMN had tipped him off that the guy was legit...

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Is it safe for mrs. myboynoah?
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                                Is it safe for mrs. myboynoah?
                                Not sure what the standard is here, but I'd say "probably." There's a little rough language, and one brief sex scene, but Mrs. PAC wasn't bothered. The series is produced by Christian TV moguls Mark Burnett and Roma Downey.

Comment

Working...
                                X