Country music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Country music

Do you have any favorites? I'm really not a fan but you can't help but hear a few songs and so here are some I like.

Lady Antebellum - Love Don't Live Here
    Keith Urban - Once in a Lifetime
    Sugarland - Baby Girl
    Dirt Bentley - Come a Little Closer
    Vince Gill - I Still Believe in You
    Toby Keith - I Should Have Been a Cowboy

I love country. I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favorite Garth song. Probably What She's Doing Now. But Papa Loves Mama is hilarious, Ain't Going Down is great fun, That Summer is sexy, and The Dance is beautiful.

Sugarland is hot. I love All I Wanna Do, and her duet with JBJ.

Toby Keith, I like How Do You Like Me Now, but not any of his cheeseball America stuff.

Terri Clark had a song called I've Got Better Things to Do. I loved that one, but I think that was because I was pissed at a guy at the time.

John Michael Montgomery's Sold, I always liked that one.

Carrie Underwood is gorgeous and has a great voice, but her music doesn't do much for me. And the thought of her taking a baseball bat to an F150 after shooting whiskey is just comical.

My all-time favorite is Chatahoochee by Alan Jackson.

Well, I suppose I should qualify that and say that my all-time favorite depends on how far back we're going. Willie Nelson's Always on My Mind -- does it get any better? If you go wayyy back there's some great stuff by Hank Sr and Bob Wills and such, but that's almost a whole different genre.

Comment

Dwight Yoakam is my only tie to modern country music. I love that guy.

Comment

Waylon and Willie and the boys.

Out in Luckenbach, Texas, ain't nobody feelin' no pain.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          Waylon and Willie and the boys.

Out in Luckenbach, Texas, ain't nobody feelin' no pain.
          I never go down that way. All my exes live in Texas.

Comment

El Paso

Big John

Pancho and Lefty

The Devil Went Down to Georgia (he was lookin' for a soul to steal)

The Battle of New Orleans

There Was Blood on the Saddle (and Blood all around)
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Johnny Cash, "Folsom Prison Blues" & about 50 more
              Randy Travis, "Forever and Ever, Amen"
              Conway Twitty, "Hello, Darlin'" & "It's Only Make Believe"
              Kenny Rogers, "Lucille" & "Love Will Turn You Around"
              Garth, "Low Places"
              The Flying Burrito Brothers, "Christina's Tune"
              Tracy Lawrence, "Texas Tornado"
              Doobie Brothers, "Black Water"
              Alabama, "Mountain Music"
              The Lovin' Spoonful, "Nashville Cats"
              Ricardo Arjona, "Historia del Portero"
              John Denver, "Thank God I'm a Country Boy"
              The Charlie Daniels Band, "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"
              Patsy Cline, "Walkin' After Midnight"
              George Jones, 'He Stopped Loving Her Today"
              Jimmy Buffet, "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw?"
              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                I never go down that way. All my exes live in Texas.
                we are totally out of sync today. I just can't bring myself to engage re: George Strait and Jon Secada. I'm sorry, I just can't.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Every single country song ever produced is completely awful. It is one the genre of music that I have never heard a song that I actually enjoy.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Ray Price - Heartache by the Number

David Allen Coe - You Never Even Called Me By My Name

George Strait - Amarillo by Morning (might be my all time favorite song)

Johnny Cash - Sunday Morning Coming Down

Willie Nelson - Georgia on my Mind (I know Ray Charles' version is the standard, but I asked my wife to marry me to this version)

Roger Miller - Dang Me

Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman

Merle Haggard - I Think I'll Just Stay Here and Drink

Wayne Hancock - 87 Southbound (Opening line: I caught you with him, on those damp, slick, sticky satin sheets)

Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash - Nowhere Town

Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys - Stay a Little Longer

Garth Brooks - Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)

Chris Ledoux - Western Skies

I could go on, but I won't.
                    Last edited by landpoke; 04-07-2009, 10:48 PM.
                    There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                    Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
                    …
                    Tomorrow is Saturday
                    And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                      I love country. I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favorite Garth song. Probably What She's Doing Now. But Papa Loves Mama is hilarious, Ain't Going Down is great fun, That Summer is sexy, and The Dance is beautiful.

Sugarland is hot. I love All I Wanna Do, and her duet with JBJ.

Toby Keith, I like How Do You Like Me Now, but not any of his cheeseball America stuff.

Terri Clark had a song called I've Got Better Things to Do. I loved that one, but I think that was because I was pissed at a guy at the time.

John Michael Montgomery's Sold, I always liked that one.

Carrie Underwood is gorgeous and has a great voice, but her music doesn't do much for me. And the thought of her taking a baseball bat to an F150 after shooting whiskey is just comical.

My all-time favorite is Chatahoochee by Alan Jackson.

Well, I suppose I should qualify that and say that my all-time favorite depends on how far back we're going. Willie Nelson's Always on My Mind -- does it get any better? If you go wayyy back there's some great stuff by Hank Sr and Bob Wills and such, but that's almost a whole different genre.
                      Hank Sr. is my all-time favorite. You Win Again, Cold Cold Heart, I'm so Lonesome I could Cry...just achingly beautiful songs. The guy didn't have a great voice, but he sure sang with emotion. He wrote all his own songs out of personal experience - when you hear him, you feel what he is feeling.

Willie Nelson - Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain. Nuff said.

Garth Brooks - I don't know, I've just never really liked the guy. Except for Friends in Low Places.

George Strait - he's pretty vanilla, but the songs are solid and he has a fantastic classic country voice.

All-time greatest country voice has to be George Jones - hands down. Best song: She Thinks I Still Care.

As for new artists, I like Brad Paisley and Josh Turner. I dig JT's song Me and God.

I know this is a favorites thread, but Taylor Swift is an abomination.
                      "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        we are totally out of sync today.
                        Of course we are. We did NSYNC ages ago.

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          Tracy Lawrence, "Texas Tornado"
                          That is a great song.

Jimmy Buffet, "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw?"
                          Is that country?

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            Dwight Yoakam is my only tie to modern country music. I love that guy.
                            In 1985, when I was in High School, I went to a Violent Femmes concert at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. The opening act was Dwight Yoakam, who was then young and very little known. That was a weird experience. Despite the Folk influences of the Femmes, there is not a lot of overlap between Femmes fans and country fans. After about two songs, people started throwing beer on stage, and one of Yoakam's guitarist almost got in a fight with a group of fans.

I am not a Country music fan, but I do sometimes enjoy:

Johnny Cash (how can you not like Johnny?)
                            Steve Earle
                            Southern Culture on the Skids (North Carolina Country meets surf music)
                            Townes Van Zandt (Don't know if he is really true country)
                            BR549 (Not my favorite, but I like a couple of songs)

I would probably like more if I looked into it more.

Comment

I am a big country fan. I mostly enjoy more melodic blue grass stuff like Alison Krauss and Union Station. Union Station is amazing. As is Krauss. Nickel Creek is also a fave. There have been some very great mentions in this thread so far.

The Dance (Garth Brooks) - Babs
                              Amarillo by Morning (George Strait) - Landpoke
                              Forever and Ever Amen (Randy Travis) - wuap

I didn't know there were so many of you who appreciated country. I am glad.
                              I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                              X