• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Chess Championship

http://www.hindustantimes.com/cricke...c8djFii2N.html

There's a live stream of the games here:

https://chess24.com/en
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

My daughter and I watched the last 20 or so moves of yesterday's match together on one of the online feeds. Very entertaining for those who like chess.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Anyone like to play on chess.com? My rating bounces around in the 1400s but I'm always up for either administering or receiving a butt kicking when playing against lower- or higher-rated players. PM me your chess.com name if you're up for a game.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
        Anyone like to play on chess.com? My rating bounces around in the 1400s but I'm always up for either administering or receiving a butt kicking when playing against lower- or higher-rated players. PM me your chess.com name if you're up for a game.
        I'll PM you. My 30 minute rating is in the 1700s, but I'm not so hot at 10 minutes or less. I'm in your range, I think.

Comment

Chess Center's coverage of game 12:

https://www.chess.com/video/player/c...onship-game-12

Comment

I've somewhat followed this championship. The first 11 games were soooooo long and grueling, I would forget to check back throughout the day to see what was going on. Why is being white considered to be such a big advantage for an attacking player? Does the opening move effect what black is going to do, that significantly?

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
              I've somewhat followed this championship. The first 11 games were soooooo long and grueling, I would forget to check back throughout the day to see what was going on. Why is being white considered to be such a big advantage for an attacking player? Does the opening move effect what black is going to do, that significantly?
              Statistically, a player is slightly more likely to win with the white pieces.

At amateur levels, some prefer the black pieces because it is easier to prepare a response to 1. e4, 1. d4 or the other common first moves for white.

Comment

Anyone seen Computer Chess? Sort of funny in a geeky way. Carry on.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Simon Williams is one of the most entertaining Grandmasters. Watch him play blitz:

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                    Simon Williams is one of the most entertaining Grandmasters. Watch him play blitz:

Thank you.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Carlsen pulled it out of the fire and won game 3 of the tiebreaker. His queen sacrifice was stellar too:

https://www.twitch.tv/chess/v/104445942
                      Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 12-01-2016, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Coverage of the London Chess Classic:

https://www.chess.com/tv

I once played GM Ashley, who is doing some of the commentary. He beat me in a simul-blindfold match. He played me and another player at the same time, while unable to see either board.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                          Coverage of the London Chess Classic:

https://www.chess.com/tv

I once played GM Ashley, who is doing some of the commentary. He beat me in a simul-blindfold match. He played me and another player at the same time, while unable to see either board.
                          GMs are amazing. The level of understanding is other-worldly. Do you play speed chess?
                          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                            GMs are amazing. The level of understanding is other-worldly. Do you play speed chess?
                            I do play speed chess; I play games in 3 minutes fairly regularly. I prefer longer time controls, though, because I feel the "flow" more strongly.

Comment

Chess boxing:

Comment

Working...
                              X