Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venezuela sin Chávez: The Nicolas Maduro Thread

http://qz.com/85373/something-is-wro...-toilet-paper/

Since Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro took office last month, the country’s already decimated economy has not only floundered but also continued its neglect in providing people with the most basic goods: Milk, butter, coffee, cornmeal and even toothpaste have all been in short supply. And now toilet paper is the latest staple to become scarce.
    Early this morning, Venezuela’s commerce minister Alejandro Fleming told the country to relax; the government plans to import 50 million rolls of toilet paper to make up for the 40 million-roll shortfall.
    Yet the lack of detail regarding when and how the 50 million rolls of toilet paper will be purchased and distributed allows Maduro to pledge support, without actually promising anything concrete. Super market shelves have already been stripped of toilet paper for weeks. But while matters of personal hygiene have taken center stage, Venezuela’s economic health is most worrisome.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Maduro's presidency: :flush:
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

¿Maduro? Creo que no.
      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
        ¿Maduro? Creo que no.
        Eso sí es cierto. Falta mucho.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Why are we not hearing more about the Venezuelan protests? Relatively speaking, this is in our backyard.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/24/world/...sts/index.html
          One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
          SU

Comment

Originally posted by snowcat View Post
            Why are we not hearing more about the Venezuelan protests? Relatively speaking, this is in our backyard.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/24/world/...sts/index.html
            I can't speak for everyone but for me it has everything to do with having seen this movie before.
            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Washington Post responds to criticism of it's coverage:

Amid the coverage of Ukraine, is a crisis in Venezuela being ignored?

Ukraine wasn't the only news story in the world, however. On the surface of it, there is a similar situation brewing in Venezuela, and some people are beginning to wonder whether it is getting enough attention.

"Is Venezuela burning while world watches Ukraine?"asked the United Kingdom's Channel 4News, while Voxxi, a news source dedicated to serving America's Latino community, wrote Monday that Venezuela's violence was "missing from U.S. media coverage." At The Post, we have been specifically called out for not featuring more Venezuela coverage:
              There are other factors at work here, though. The Euromaidan protests made headlines this weekend because they caused serious changes within the country, but they only did this after almost three months of protests. Euromaidan began Nov. 21, 2013, and gradually grew in both size and severity. The response to protests in Venezuela may have been brutal, but they only began in earnest at the beginning of February. In more morbid terms, Ukraine's total body count is almost 10 times that in Venezuela. For confusing events in far-away places, there often seems to be a "tipping point" beyond which the average U.S. reader finally becomes interested. It could be that Venezuela hasn't reached it yet.
              But don't be surprised if Venezuela becomes a huge story.

For all the differences between the situations, at least one key factor is the same in Venezuela and Ukraine: The centrality of the economy to the protests. In fact, the situation in Ukraine pales in comparison to that in Venezuela, where basic goods such as milk and flour are in short supply and inflation runs at 56 percent.

Another worrying factor is recurrent reports of a "media crackdown" within the country, where many state broadcasters have been accused of "self-censorship" and there were reports that images were been blocked on Twitter, a source of news for many in the country. "The domestic media blackout imposed by President Nicolas Maduro makes coverage by international outlets all the more crucial," Mariana Atencio, a Venezuelan-born journalist who had been reporting from the country for Fusion, told me in an e-mail, adding that she was "hounded by National Police and armed pro-government groups" even after they saw her foreign press card.
              http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...being-ignored/
              One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

SU

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                  I can't figure out how to imbed this video from facebook, but it shows what appears to be police gunning down fleeing people from the comfort of their armored vehicle.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=430640937038992

Woot

SU

Comment

I can't figure out how to imbed this video from facebook, but it shows what appears to be police gunning down fleeing people from the comfort of their armored vehicle.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=430640937038992
                    Esos hijueputas estaban tirando a gente desarmada. Este video va a causar otras muertes y tendremos otra guerra civil. Es precio del petroleo va a subir si las protestas llegan a Maracaibo. Malditos sean los bolivaristas.

Comment

Washington Post responds to criticism of it's coverage:

Amid the coverage of Ukraine, is a crisis in Venezuela being ignored?
                      I think the real reason is President Obama was friends with the former leader of Venezuela. It is out of respect for both of them the press is low covering this. I think it is perfectly fine to respect their friendship especially since one of them recently passed away.

Comment

I just like the timing of the Ukrainian protests with the Olympics. Putin won't hesitate to send in the tanks, but not while he is presiding over his country's olympics and the world is watching. You know that it totally burned him that Jimmy Carter boycotted the 1980 olympics in Moscow, and this was his great redemption. The Ukrainians were smart to chase out Putin's running dog before the end of the olympics while Putin had his hands tied.

Comment

So sad. My sister served her mission in Caracas and sent so many wonderful pictures home it's just a shame when a country devolves like this. Jilipollas the lot of 'em (Maduro and his government I mean).

Comment

Maduro is clearly an evil dude, but Chavez set the table for all of this.

Comment

It could get very ugly tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X