2018 - 2019 BYU Hoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
    We need to get at least that. Next year is on the line as well, IMO.
    So much riding on one game!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Hey if we lock up the 2 seed I am not giving up on the extremely remote possibility we can string together 2 wins in the conference tourney and crash the dance. Yeah we haven't won a conference tournament in about 64 years and Gonzaga beats us by an average of about 200 points every time we play them in Vegas but screw the history. If I let that crap determine my support for the cougars I would have stopped paying attention long ago...or done something completely asinine like change my loyalty to the Longhorns.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
        Hey if we lock up the 2 seed I am not giving up on the extremely remote possibility we can string together 2 wins in the conference tourney and crash the dance. Yeah we haven't won a conference tournament in about 64 years and Gonzaga beats us by an average of about 200 points every time we play them in Vegas but screw the history. If I let that crap determine my support for the cougars I would have stopped paying attention long ago...or done something completely asinine like change my loyalty to the Longhorns.

It's like 18 or so years since we won a conference tournament, isn't it? Roughly about the same length of time we went between NCAA tournament wins before we ended the drought in 2010.

Maybe the Zags will act like other conference tourney #1 seeds in so many other leagues and decide they don't care, and lose in the semis to USF or SMC.
        Last edited by BlueK; 02-13-2019, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Speaking of conference tournaments. I've never liked them much, probably in large part because when the WAC decided to have one starting in 1984, BYU was pathetic in it. We complain about Rose always losing the championship game. Well, year after year Ladell Andersen couldn't even win a single freaking game in the conference tournament. Every year but once BYU was one and done. He was 1-6, and I believe all those losses to teams seeded below them. The one win was that year when they won their first 17 or so games and almost got ranked #1 before their loss to UAB on the road. They had the #1 seed in the WAC tournament that year and were also hosting it. As the #1 seed they managed to get past last place Air Force in OT, I think, and then in usual fashion promptly lost the next game.
          Last edited by BlueK; 02-13-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• In 1988 BYU was clearly the best team in the WAC and lost to UTEP in the Marriott Center in the semis after squeaking by a horrible Hawaii team. So frustrating. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988...all_Tournament

No doubt that BYU has underachieved in conference tournaments — on the other hand we are due and Gonzaga has gotta be way overconfident at this point right?

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
              In 1988 BYU was clearly the best team in the WAC and lost to UTEP in the Marriott Center in the semis after squeaking by a horrible Hawaii team. So frustrating. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988...all_Tournament

No doubt that BYU has underachieved in conference tournaments — on the other hand we are due and Gonzaga has gotta be way overconfident at this point right?
              Sorry, Hawaii it was. I was on my mission that season. So I actually never personally witnessed BYU winning a single WAC tournament game until the 90-91 season when under Roger Reid they beat Utah and won the whole thing. In the semis that was the game where they beat Hawaii on a last second shot by Scott Moon that bounced on the rim about seven times while the clock ran out before going in. I've never seen anything like it before or since. It was in Laramie and it was awesome hearing all the Wyoming and Utah fans booing while the BYU players and fans celebrated.

Comment

Sorry, Hawaii it was. I was on my mission that season. So I actually never personally witnessed BYU winning a single WAC tournament game until the 90-91 season when under Roger Reid they beat Utah and won the whole thing. In the semis that was the game where they beat Hawaii on a last second shot by Scott Moon that bounced on the rim about seven times while the clock ran out before going in. I've never seen anything like it before or since. It was in Laramie and it was awesome hearing all the Wyoming and Utah fans booing while the BYU players and fans celebrated.
                What about the next season when Kevin Nixon hit the half court+ shot at the buzzer to beat UTEP in the final in Fort Collins? Reid is the only coach we had who could win conference tournaments, but he needed some crazy finishes to do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                  What about the next season when Kevin Nixon hit the half court+ shot at the buzzer to beat UTEP in the final in Fort Collins? Reid is the only coach we had who could win conference tournaments, but he needed some crazy finishes to do it.
                  Cleveland won a tournament. Championship game was in Vegas. I was there!
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I think BYU wins tonight.

Comment

I think BYU wins tonight.
                      I would prefer that result to the alternative.
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Way to fight back into it and have a chance at the end.
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• ???

Why let the guy just run down and hit a lay-up?
                          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• I thought FT misses were going to do us in but way to gut out a crucial road win after being down 14 multiple times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                              ???

Why let the guy just run down and hit a lay-up?
                              That was so frustrating. Rose calls a time out to set up that no defense, defensive scheme? Childs looked lost on that play.

Can't believe they were able to dominate in overtime like they did. This was a much needed win.

Comment

• Solid win that they tried very hard to give away. The final defensive set in regulation was comical as has been mentioned, but let's discuss free throws. Look, I don't expect Luke to make free throws. Going 0-2 from the line in crunch time was expected and frankly I think we should show encouragement to him every time his sneakers are tied correctly and he's out there getting good exercise most importantly. I can deal with Yo going 1-2 - he's not a great shooter and certainly doesn't have a pure stroke. But for dudes like Seljaas to miss the front end of a crucial 1 and 1 and for Emery to brick the front end of what would've forced USD into a rushed 3 after going the length of the court is unacceptable. Unathletic white dudes have one job and that is to be great free throw shooters. Haws is really the only guy I trust to take critical foul shots and yet our team is full of unathletic white dudes. Cannon? 53% from the stripe. Emery? 72% Harding? 65%. You guys have one job.

Comment

Working...
                                X