New LDS Church Website: Mormons and Gays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    This guy was a missionary in my ward a while back. I honestly didn't recognize him because he looks so much less gay than he did as a missionary (seriously). Anyway, pretty funny stuff. And I'm encouraged by the way my former bishop (currently the SP in an adjacent stake) has reached out to him in response to the article. Pretty funny stuff, at any rate.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b05fa16286be0f
    That was great. I bet dinner appointments with that guy would have been hilarious.

Comment

This guy was a missionary in my ward a while back. I honestly didn't recognize him because he looks so much less gay than he did as a missionary (seriously). Anyway, pretty funny stuff. And I'm encouraged by the way my former bishop (currently the SP in an adjacent stake) has reached out to him in response to the article. Pretty funny stuff, at any rate.

Really good. Is Peacock his real last name? Awesome.

Comment

"For it is not Sheri Dew who asked to be the poster bachelor for a generation of gay men." I thought that was funny.

Comment

• That was hilarious. His other article about not attending BYU graduation is less funny, but every bit worth the read as well.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0537abd957406
          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• The new website is relatively clean, but I noticed these pictures of the leaders of the LDS Church. It is remarkable how white the leadership is. Only Garrett Gong is non-white. Small wonder LDS have no understanding of BLM or other racial issues.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/leader...-organization/
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
              The new website is relatively clean, but I noticed these pictures of the leaders of the LDS Church. It is remarkable how white the leadership is. Only Garrett Gong is non-white. Small wonder LDS have no understanding of BLM or other racial issues.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/leader...-organization/
              Without getting into too much debate as to culture verses race...

Elder Soares was born in Brazil and Elder Uceda was born in Peru.

But yeah...there's a lot of white faces on that page.
              Last edited by Eddie; 01-09-2018, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• So -

In our ward we have a kid who is now a Teacher. His parents stopped coming to church when he was in primary, and while he still participated in Cub Scouts, etc, they didn't really attend church. When he turned 8, his parents (who still weren't attending) told the bishop that they weren't interested in the boy getting baptized. They wanted to wait for him to decide for himself about being baptized when he was older.

When this kid was 12, they decided it was OK for him to listen to the missionaries if he wanted to. He ended up beginning to attend church and was ultimately baptized and has since been ordained. He has a younger sister, who is a couple years younger than him and was 9-10 years old when he was being taught by the missionaries. The parents decided to wait for her too prior to allowing her to decide about getting baptized.

So...time passes. The two kids come to church off and on. The parents never do. Then the parents decide to get divorced. The kids are still coming to church - actually probably more consistently now than they did in the past. The boy has always been more consistent than the girl - but she's starting to attend more consistently too.

I recently just found out that part of the reason for the divorce is the father came out as gay. They never really said anything or announced anything when they separated and divorced - but I guess the beauty of FaceBook is that you get to learn things about folks as they become more and more comfortable sharing about themselves on social media.

And now I'm curious how things are going to go for the girl if/when she ever decides she's ready to get baptized and the parents decide she's old enough to make that decision. The parents haven't been super supportive of church for the last 6-7+ years. So if the kids come, they are coming on their own.

But now - if the daughter decides to get baptized she will, presumably, have to do something the boy has never had to do and disavow her father's gay relationships and practices.

This is all interesting to talk about, and could make an interesting TV episode to watch. But I'm more than a little concerned for the collision that is bound to take place at some point in the future and the feelings this girl has when she finds out it was OK for her brother to get baptized, receive the priesthood, etc., but she is stuck as an "investigator" until she reaches adulthood.

Comment

• I know this isn't breaking new ground but the policy just seems so unnecessarily divisive and foolish. I just don't get it.
                  Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                    I know this isn't breaking new ground but the policy just seems so unnecessarily divisive and foolish. I just don't get it.
                    I don't either, tbh.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• I thought the policy was specifically about children of parents in a gay marriage (as opposed to children of married gay parents). Am I wrong? It doesn't make it any less divisive, but at least it would spare the girl the unnecessary conflict if her dad happens to not marry a man while she is a minor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                        So -

In our ward we have a kid who is now a Teacher. His parents stopped coming to church when he was in primary, and while he still participated in Cub Scouts, etc, they didn't really attend church. When he turned 8, his parents (who still weren't attending) told the bishop that they weren't interested in the boy getting baptized. They wanted to wait for him to decide for himself about being baptized when he was older.

When this kid was 12, they decided it was OK for him to listen to the missionaries if he wanted to. He ended up beginning to attend church and was ultimately baptized and has since been ordained. He has a younger sister, who is a couple years younger than him and was 9-10 years old when he was being taught by the missionaries. The parents decided to wait for her too prior to allowing her to decide about getting baptized.

So...time passes. The two kids come to church off and on. The parents never do. Then the parents decide to get divorced. The kids are still coming to church - actually probably more consistently now than they did in the past. The boy has always been more consistent than the girl - but she's starting to attend more consistently too.

I recently just found out that part of the reason for the divorce is the father came out as gay. They never really said anything or announced anything when they separated and divorced - but I guess the beauty of FaceBook is that you get to learn things about folks as they become more and more comfortable sharing about themselves on social media.

And now I'm curious how things are going to go for the girl if/when she ever decides she's ready to get baptized and the parents decide she's old enough to make that decision. The parents haven't been super supportive of church for the last 6-7+ years. So if the kids come, they are coming on their own.

But now - if the daughter decides to get baptized she will, presumably, have to do something the boy has never had to do and disavow her father's gay relationships and practices.

This is all interesting to talk about, and could make an interesting TV episode to watch. But I'm more than a little concerned for the collision that is bound to take place at some point in the future and the feelings this girl has when she finds out it was OK for her brother to get baptized, receive the priesthood, etc., but she is stuck as an "investigator" until she reaches adulthood.
                        It's a bad policy. But, in this case, the policy wouldn't apply to this kid. I believe the policy only specifically applies to a very narrow group of people, who are the children of a parent who 1) are primary custodians of the child 2) are in a gay marriage. It's extremely rare and most likely to be adopted children of a gay couple.

Comment

• From what I remember it only applies to children with a parent(s) that are in a gay marriage. Doesn't necessarily apply if they simply have a gay parent. And Jay, I think that there is a much, much larger group of people that have kids, divorce, and then come out as gay and get married. I would imagine that kids that are adopted and raised by a gay couple that want to later get baptized and go on missions are extremely rare.

Comment

• Just to clarify. Not a policy. It's revelation.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                              So -

Hopefully your bishop and stake president don't enforce the policy.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                                Hopefully your bishop and stake president don't enforce the policy.
                                ...which doesn't apply here...
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Working...
                                X