Two hour church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by falafel View Post
    The corollaries between professional baseball and church are endless.
    Baseball in general is endless.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
      Is it to save money?
      Saving money is probably why the church is building 12 new temples across the globe
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Saving money is probably why the church is building 12 new temples across the globe
        New temple in WaCo, Utah. I predict it will get built and dedicated and then they will promptly shut down the St. G temple for a year to renovate.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          New temple in WaCo, Utah. I predict it will get built and dedicated and then they will promptly shut down the St. G temple for a year to renovate.
          Inside info?
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Inside info?
            Yes. Filled with the spirit of prophesy--the ultimate inside info.

Comment

Two hour church

Inside info?
              I’ve heard rumblings for a couple years that they’ve been looking for an opportunity to shut down to address some electrical, HVAC, and other significant construction issues—too substantial to fully address during their summer cleaning period.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Inside info?
                Do you mean besides Pres. Nelson outright stating today that the pioneer-era temples will all be updated?
                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  I’ve heard rumblings for a couple years that they’ve been looking for an opportunity to shut down to address some electrical, HVAC, and other significant construction issues—too substantial to fully address during their summer cleaning period.
                  Apparently it was one of the factors driving the temples recently built along the Wasatch front.
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

1. How many of the 12 new temples are mini-temples?

2. Did they announce which meetinghouses will be put up for sale yet? Now they can put 4 wards in each meetinghouse. This will save one building for every 3 meetinghouses.

Some have used the number of new temples as an argument for Church growth. But I think it is important to distinguish between construction of a mini-temple and full-size temples. I hypothesize that the mini-temples are mostly being constructed to try to boost overall temple attendance (by making them proximal to the people), rather than to accommodate existing temple attendance.

There are 159 temples in the world.

In contrast, if you assume 3 wards per meetinghouse, there are 10,169 meetinghouses in the world.

If they put 4 wards into each meetinghouse, this will provide a reduction of 2,542 in the number of necessary meetinghouses.

If you assume that all of the 10,169 meetinghouses were constructed sometime in the last 40 years, then that's an average rate of 254 meetinghouses constructed per year.

Assuming no net increase in number of congregations over the next decade, the LDS Church will not need to build a new meetinghouse for a decade. (In other words, President Nelson will be 104 years old when the Church needs to build a new meetinghouse.)

This makes good financial sense.

Comment

Regarding the SLC Temple - updates? Movies instead of live sessions?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Burn! Sit down, BM.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

Two hour church

2. Did they announce which meetinghouses will be put up for sale yet? Now they can put 4 wards in each meetinghouse. This will save one building for every 3 meetinghouses.

Some have used the number of new temples as an argument for Church growth. But I think it is important to distinguish between construction of a mini-temple and full-size temples. I hypothesize that the mini-temples are mostly being constructed to try to boost overall temple attendance (by making them proximal to the people), rather than to accommodate existing temple attendance.

There are 159 temples in the world.

In contrast, if you assume 3 wards per meetinghouse, there are 10,169 meetinghouses in the world.

If they put 4 wards into each meetinghouse, this will provide a reduction of 2,542 in the number of necessary meetinghouses.

If you assume that all of the 10,169 meetinghouses were constructed sometime in the last 40 years, then that's an average rate of 254 meetinghouses constructed per year.

Assuming no net increase in number of congregations over the next decade, the LDS Church will not need to build a new meetinghouse for a decade. (In other words, President Nelson will be 104 years old when the Church needs to build a new meetinghouse.)

This makes good financial sense.
                          Yep, you aren’t in finance.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought 'mini-temples' wasn't a thing anymore. Some might be smaller than others, but the few dozen or so that were built with the 'mini-temple' architecture and floor plan aren't being built now?
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                              Do you mean besides Pres. Nelson outright stating today that the pioneer-era temples will all be updated?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I totally knew that!
                                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Working...
                                X