Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wanna see that! The official "doesn't merit its own thread" movie trailer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    This is funny (from an NYT review). Serves Disney right for trying to milk this for more cash. The last one was awful.

I saw all of the second one but didn't understand that swamp lady. I fell asleep in the third one and woke up to crabs carrying the ship on the beach. That made me think I wasn't really awake, but I don't remember anything else from the third. I believe there was another one after that, which I didn't see and I likely won't see this one.

The first movie in the franchise was great, though. I still enjoy watching it.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      I saw all of the second one but didn't understand that swamp lady. I fell asleep in the third one and woke up to crabs carrying the ship on the beach. That made me think I wasn't really awake, but I don't remember anything else from the third. I believe there was another one after that, which I didn't see and I likely won't see this one.

The first movie in the franchise was great, though. I still enjoy watching it.
      I'll be darned. There are five now? Last one I saw was #3. It was awful.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Not much in this trailer except for gobs of CG eye candy, which leads me to believe this movie will not do the book justice.
        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• OK so in this Battle of the Sexes movie are they just going to completely ignore the likelihood that Bobby Riggs threw the match to pay off debts to the mob?

There was an ESPN documentary that was very convincing to this argument. Riggs easily beat a much better female player in Margaret Court, became a heavy favorite against Billie Jean King, then clearly didn't even try.

Not to sound like a Neanderthal Trump voter but it sounds like this movie just ignores what really happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
            OK so in this Battle of the Sexes movie are they just going to completely ignore the likelihood that Bobby Riggs threw the match to pay off debts to the mob?

There was an ESPN documentary that was very convincing to this argument. Riggs easily beat a much better female player in Margaret Court, became a heavy favorite against Billie Jean King, then clearly didn't even try.

Not to sound like a Neanderthal Trump voter but it sounds like this movie just ignores what really happened.
            It just seems like a weird thing to memorialize in a movie. Wasn't Riggs twice her age and basically have issues gripping the racket at his age? I also heard the rules for King allowed for her to use more of the court, but maybe that was a different match.

Needless to say, the Williams sisters got destroyed by some no name player a while back so I'm not sure trying to show men and women on equal footing when it comes to playing tennis is really the best argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

Not much in this trailer except for gobs of CG eye candy, which leads me to believe this movie will not do the book justice.
                Heard lots of problems with this movie- even led by Spielberg.

Also, Ready Player One is awesome but the second book stinks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                  Heard lots of problems with this movie- even led by Spielberg.

Also, Ready Player One is awesome but the second book stinks.
                  Armada? It doesn't stink. It just feels like its too familiar to RPO, with some points taken from that 80s movie.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I really want to see this, but I don't know when/if it's coming. His last release never hit Utah County. I still list PTA as my favorite director, though his last two were a little underwhelming. This one looks like he's back on point. IMDB of 8.9 and RT 91%. Sound like another great performance by Daniel Day Lewis.

[YOUTUBE]xNsiQMeSvMk[/YOUTUBE]
                    Last edited by jay santos; 12-26-2017, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• Not the correct thread to put this, but since there isn't a "Pretty sure I don't want to see this" thread I'll go with it. I often check Rotten Tomatoes to get a glimpse of movies that are being released each week. I was surprised to find among this week's offerings is Trek, and yes, it's about that. I'm sure it's not nearly as funny as it could be, and in fact might be painful. I'll bet the board's cinematic brain trust could come up with something better.

Comment

• When I was a kid, my brothers and I would go to the local park (the one at the top of 45th) with our crappy tennis rackets and pretend we were McEnroe. Would be fun to see this with them (if they lived closer to me):

I was just looking at video of the 1980 final. Man, no wonder we thought we could be like them... they are fairly gangly and appear nonathletic by today's tennis standards.
                        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          Not the correct thread to put this, but since there isn't a "Pretty sure I don't want to see this" thread I'll go with it. I often check Rotten Tomatoes to get a glimpse of movies that are being released each week. I was surprised to find among this week's offerings is Trek, and yes, it's about that. I'm sure it's not nearly as funny as it could be, and in fact might be painful. I'll bet the board's cinematic brain trust could come up with something better.
                          This movie will undoubtedly be purchased by Mrs. V he next trip to zion, and enter the library of Sunday approved (when mom is looking) movies along with Singles Ward, RM, Church Ball, Napoleon Dynamite, Something about the Witness protection program, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                            This movie will undoubtedly be purchased by Mrs. V he next trip to zion, and enter the library of Sunday approved (when mom is looking) movies along with Singles Ward, RM, Church Ball, Napoleon Dynamite, Something about the Witness protection program, etc.
                            We don't have a "Sunday-approved library". Typically, if the kids are watching something on Sunday I don't want them to, I tell them to watch anything on the BYUtv app on Roku. I also allow them the option of turning off the TV entirely.
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

When I was a kid, my brothers and I would go to the local park (the one at the top of 45th) with our crappy tennis rackets and pretend we were McEnroe. Would be fun to see this with them (if they lived closer to me):

I was just looking at video of the 1980 final. Man, no wonder we thought we could be like them... they are fairly gangly and appear nonathletic by today's tennis standards.
                              So would you yell at the pretend umpire?
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

When I was a kid, my brothers and I would go to the local park (the one at the top of 45th) with our crappy tennis rackets and pretend we were McEnroe. Would be fun to see this with them (if they lived closer to me):

This one looks better, BTW:

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X