The official triathlon thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
    Moliere, somebody in your triathlon from our age group died. Overheated and EMTs couldn't get the body temp down fast enough. Sad. (He was doing the Oly, not the Sprint).
    Yikes, I just saw that. Looks like it happened on the run. I wonder if I passed him. I was running about 20 feet behind a guy (he was taller....maybe 6'2'' and about our age) and he quickly ran down to the water and puked quite a bit of fluid up. I'm sure many people puked that day so the chances are slim it was him, but the guy didn't look good at all.

Like I mentioned above, the run was brutal as the temps were already pretty high and the humidity was also very high. I struggled with a 5K in the heat so I can't imagine doing a 10K.

Here's the article: http://news92fm.com/473224/triathlon...-cypress-race/
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      Yikes, I just saw that. Looks like it happened on the run. I wonder if I passed him.
      Congrats, you beat a dead guy.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• The sprint tri sounds appealing to me. I might have to try it sometime. But I need to work on the swim portion for sure. Of course based on your description, maybe I'm not that bad after all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          Congrats, you beat a dead guy.
          Okay, I didn't mean it in THAT way.....but your post was spot on hilarious!
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
            The sprint tri sounds appealing to me. I might have to try it sometime. But I need to work on the swim portion for sure. Of course based on your description, maybe I'm not that bad after all.
            I'll admit I was surprised at many of the people in the olympic portion of the tri. Many struggled with the swim. Some looked like they'd never swam before. One guy had a snorkel (which is allowed but disqualifies you from the podium) and I never saw him put his head fully under water. Several guys were gassed 200 meters in.

Most people can pound out 500 meters in open water. I did it last year with little training. It sucked, but it's doable. It would be much easier in a cleaner lake (like in Utah) where you can see farther than 6 inches in the water.

I'd suggest that if anyone has the tri bug, they should at least do one to see how it goes. They are fun. Transitions are a mad house. You really never know how you are doing relative to hte field since they are starting new groups every 4 mins for over an hour so the field is spread out. It's really just you against yourself...unless you are a top triathlete. Give it a go and see how much you like it. If you hate it, then go back to something else.

Comment

I'd suggest that if anyone has the tri bug, they should at least do one to see how it goes. They are fun. Transitions are a mad house. You really never know how you are doing relative to hte field since they are starting new groups every 4 mins for over an hour so the field is spread out. It's really just you against yourself...unless you are a top triathlete. Give it a go and see how much you like it. If you hate it, then go back to something else.
              I agree.

I am sad that I have not done one in a few years. Just as a I was getting better, life got a bit too crazy to spend that much time training.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                I agree.

I am sad that I have not done one in a few years. Just as a I was getting better, life got a bit too crazy to spend that much time training.
                that's the beauty of the sprint tris. I don't train a lot, in fact I really just do my normal training of 2-3 runs, 1 swim and a bike ride each week and I can still complete the race without too many problems. An olympic distance would require more training and I might do one at some point, but the sprint tris are great for the casual athlete.

Comment

that's the beauty of the sprint tris. I don't train a lot, in fact I really just do my normal training of 2-3 runs, 1 swim and a bike ride each week and I can still complete the race without too many problems. An olympic distance would require more training and I might do one at some point, but the sprint tris are great for the casual athlete.
                  I'm convinced most (nearly all) people could complete a sprint tri with no training at all. They wouldn't necessarily enjoy it, and they would know they've done something when they are finished. But just finishing wouldn't be a tremendous feat. Competing is another story, however.

Comment

• I believe most could complete an Olympic tri. A half requires training just to finish.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                      I believe most could complete an Olympic tri. A half requires training just to finish.
                      Actually - I've got a friend who is 5'8" and over 250 lbs who can be a witness for your case. Though I think he does break his bike out a couple of times and go for a couple of runs before the actual race. But I wouldn't exactly call what he does "training".

Comment

• Now people with knee problems or who can't swim would be excluded.

However there are some excruciatingly difficult ones that might be out of reach.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                          I'm convinced most (nearly all) people could complete a sprint tri with no training at all. They wouldn't necessarily enjoy it, and they would know they've done something when they are finished. But just finishing wouldn't be a tremendous feat. Competing is another story, however.
                          Yes, but there's really no fun in finishing a sprint tri. Competing is where the fun lies. It's not until the half ironman that just finishing is considered an enormous feat.

Comment

Yes, but there's really no fun in finishing a sprint tri. Competing is where the fun lies. It's not until the half ironman that just finishing is considered an enormous feat.
                            Half irons are my favorite. The training isn't overwhelming, you can finish the race standing up, and you can still move the next day.
                            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                              Half irons are my favorite. The training isn't overwhelming, you can finish the race standing up, and you can still move the next day.
                              I agree that they are fun. Having developed knee problems, they are not as much fun as they were once. Being competitive in them requires a lot of training though. I don't like the full triathlons as they require too much time and you are wiped out afterward.

Comment

• Last week's Lake Tahoe Ironman event was cancelled the morning of the race due to smoky conditions caused by nearby forest fires. That's a lot of training (and a lot of scratch) to throw away come race day. There isn't much that can be done in those cases, but it still sucks for the racers.
                                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Working...
                                X