Men's Volleyball 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
    Mostly it just creates more noise than probably other situations. But there are less high school players total, so that probably reduces noise. It's still correlated with player success at the next level. For example, here are the Fab 50 recruits in BYU's starting lineup:

Garcia-Fernandez
    Fa'alago
    Hendrickson
    Stanley

Not Fab 50:
    Ferreira
    Miki
    Gardini

All the ones not ranked, were international players outside of the ranking system. So it's not like it's useless.
    Gardini has some crazy mad skills. He will be fun to watch over the next few years.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I’m a little worried about the chemistry on the team and what poor chemistry will cause. We have some kids from the US that are devout LDS, some kids from the US that are here for the ball and some international kids with that weird approach to college ball they all seem to take unless they really buy in to BYU as part of their identity. You can see the three camps and styles of play competing. I hope coach can get his arms around this because we have amazing talent but the kids are as much opponents of each other as they are of the othe team.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
        I’m a little worried about the chemistry on the team and what poor chemistry will cause. We have some kids from the US that are devout LDS, some kids from the US that are here for the ball and some international kids with that weird approach to college ball they all seem to take unless they really buy in to BYU as part of their identity. You can see the three camps and styles of play competing. I hope coach can get his arms around this because we have amazing talent but the kids are as much opponents of each other as they are of the othe team.
        They were bad last night, and so far tonight even worse. Yikes.

Comment

They were bad last night, and so far tonight even worse. Yikes.
          This team is awful thus far. What is so terribly wrong?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
            This team is awful thus far. What is so terribly wrong?
            Passing is the biggest problem but it's not one thing. These last 4 matches they have been bad in a lot of phases of the game.

1. Passing; libero play has struggled, and Gardini has really struggled/been exposed.

2. Serving hasn't been impressive either in general. For example, I have no idea what's going on with Stanley. He is only using a float right now and a pretty weak float at that.

3. Given the structure of the team, BYU has got to get a lot out of both Garcia-Fernandez and Gardini offensively. They need to be really good in system and solid out of system. They offense is designed around them being able to terminate. Even when the passing is pretty good, they haven't been.

4. I don't think Stanley's been bad, but he han't been great either. I don't think he is getting consistently good location to either Fernandez or Gardini.

5. Not sure what to make of Olmstead's subbing decisions.

Comment

BYU won on a bad call tonight against Stanford. The Stanford coach had used up his challenges so no overrule was possible.

Comment

BYU won on a bad call tonight against Stanford. The Stanford coach had used up his challenges so no overrule was possible.
                Clearly a bad call

BYU and Stanford are the like reverse images of each other. Stanford has an excellent libero and very good setter but erratic pins. Dagostino's (L) serve-receive is amazing and he does it while covering more than 50% of the court (for the floats he was taking like 3/4 of the court). Bischoff sets quick to the middle really well. Jasper and Wopat (pin hitters) are super talented, but way too inconsistent. It stops them from being at top 5 team. If BYU had Dagostino, it would take so much pressure off Gardini and Storm in serve receive.

Comment

Clearly a bad call

BYU and Stanford are the like reverse images of each other. Stanford has an excellent libero and very good setter but erratic pins. Dagostino's (L) serve-receive is amazing and he does it while covering more than 50% of the court (for the floats he was taking like 3/4 of the court). Bischoff sets quick to the middle really well. Jasper and Wopat (pin hitters) are super talented, but way too inconsistent. It stops them from being at top 5 team. If BYU had Dagostino, it would take so much pressure off Gardini and Storm in serve receive.
                  That last set was a nailbiter. The pancake was too difficult to overrule.

Comment

That last set was a nailbiter. The pancake was too difficult to overrule.
                    Not directed at you, but rather the larger volleyball world. Volleyball is basically the bottom of the pecking order for everything in college sports. Of course, the referring is often poor.

Comment

Not directed at you, but rather the larger volleyball world. Volleyball is basically the bottom of the pecking order for everything in college sports. Of course, the referring is often poor.
                      NCAA Mens volleyball specifically? Because women's volleyball seems to be pretty important as far as NCAA women's sports are concerned at most schools. It has to be up there with basketball and softball at least.
                      Last edited by BlueK; 03-01-2019, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                        NCAA Mens volleyball specifically? Because women's volleyball seems to be pretty important as far as NCAA women's sports are concerned at most schools. It has to be up there with basketball and softball at least.
                        Sure, I'm exaggerating some when you look at volleyball overall. Still, non-revenue sports in general are going to suck over this dimension. Furthermore, men's volleyball is going to be worse than women's even though the crews are drawn from the same population because Men's matches are more likely to use local crews instead of traveling crews because of it's lower status and funding levels.

Also, volleyball usually doesn't even have high frame rate cameras for replays (BYUtv is about as good as it gets in this regard). And the broadcast standards are particular bad for men's volleyball.

Comment

Sure, I'm exaggerating some when you look at volleyball overall. Still, non-revenue sports in general are going to suck over this dimension. Furthermore, men's volleyball is going to be worse than women's even though the crews are drawn from the same population because Men's matches are more likely to use local crews instead of traveling crews because of it's lower status and funding levels.

Also, volleyball usually doesn't even have high frame rate cameras for replays (BYUtv is about as good as it gets in this regard). And the broadcast standards are particular bad for men's volleyball.
                          I think we have the same crews at both games. Even at the NCAAs it was our local refs because they are so highly ranked. That said, I think men’s volleyball is really tough to ref. The ball is often flying at 60-70 mph and it is hard to see what’s happening on the touches. The last two games though have both had poor calls after the challenges have been used so I think the coaches are challenging too many questionable calls and running out of challenges. I think good coaches are talking to their players more and using their challenges more judiciously. Kosty messed up and we won.

Comment

I think we have the same crews at both games. Even at the NCAAs it was our local refs because they are so highly ranked. That said, I think men’s volleyball is really tough to ref. The ball is often flying at 60-70 mph and it is hard to see what’s happening on the touches. The last two games though have both had poor calls after the challenges have been used so I think the coaches are challenging too many questionable calls and running out of challenges. I think good coaches are talking to their players more and using their challenges more judiciously. Kosty messed up and we won.
                            Do you agree with the call before, where he used up his challenge? I couldn't tell.

Comment

That's fair and a good point that the male version of the sport is particular tough to call given the velocities. Unless you have a hawkeye system like they do in international volleyball you're just going to have to live with noise from calls even with the very best refs.
                              Last edited by pelagius; 03-01-2019, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Growing up in southern California it was not unusual to see the same refs call HS, college and AVP matches. For example I had Dancing Marvin Hall call several of my HS games. Then he'd be calling college games and AVP tournaments on the weekend.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X