Prop 8 Has Been Overturned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Wasn't buying that guy @1:04 being happy to be married to a woman.
    Hah! I saw the episode when it first aired and I had the exact same thought.

My wife and kids love Studio C. It has its funny moments but not enough to make me want to set my DVR for it.

Comment

• An interesting article in this morning's SF Chronicle begins with the story of a couple of guys from Florida who have been together for 44 years and traveled to SF to be married. One marriage commissioner at City Hall said she "asks the couples if they'd mind saying how long they have been together. 'I can't tell you how many have been 20 or 30 years,' she said. 'I've come up with an average of 28 years. And when I ask heterosexual couples, it's often one or two years. Or three months.' Ortega says she knows this probably isn't going to change the minds of hidebound opponents of same-sex marriage. They may never come around. But she says it is striking to see, day after day, week after week, that these are not frivolous, spur-of-the-moment marriages. There are couples who have been in a strong, decades-long relationship. And now, after all that time, they want to stand in public and legally commit to each other in public."

Obviously, over time, the huge gap between the length of the pre-marital relationships among gays vs. those of straights will diminish and probably be very similar. But it's touching to see these old couples affirming their commitment to each. I'm not seeing a threat to marriage generally, but more of a strengthening.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        I'm not seeing a threat to marriage generally, but more of a strengthening.
        Especially if you ignore the traditional marriage that these people were in for the first 10 years of their homosexual relationship. I kid. I kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
          Especially if you ignore the traditional marriage that these people were in for the first 10 years of their homosexual relationship. I kid. I kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Actually, American tradition, going back to the colonies, was common law marriage, which these couples would qualify for simply by living together for the requisite length of time. So, yes, they were in a traditional (i.e., common law) American marriage.
          If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

• Oh crap. I"m a hack.
            nevermind.
            "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
            -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

There are couples who have been in a strong, decades-long relationship. And now, after all that time, they want to stand in public and legally commit to each other in public.".
              What prevented them from committing to each other in public before?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                Looks like you missed a word.
                If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                  Looks like you missed a word.
                  Add it back in. Same question. The word marriage was not used.

Comment

Add it back in. Same question. The word marriage was not used.
                    I used "legal commitment" as a substitute for "marriage" which is "a commitment or union recognized by law." None of those things was available to gay couples until recently. I regret confusing you.

Comment

Bigotry.

Comment

I used "legal commitment" as a substitute for "marriage" which is "a commitment or union recognized by law." None of those things was available to gay couples until recently. I regret confusing you.
                        this is pointless, but of course you know that Gay people could have entered into any contract they wanted to prior to current law changes, publicly or otherwise.

Comment

this is pointless, but of course you know that Gay people could have entered into any contract they wanted to prior to current law changes, publicly or otherwise.
                          Uhhh.... except for the one known as "marriage" to the person of their choice.

Comment

Why do you care? The difference between civil union and marriage wasn't very significant, but it mattered to some gays. Now gays an enjoy divorce just like straights. Why should gays be spared the fun?!
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• http://connellodonovan.com/abom.html

I'm not sure this has been posted before but someone went through a lot of work to research the history of gays and the church.
                              Last edited by RC Vikings; 12-22-2013, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                                http://connellodonovan.com/abom.html

I'm not sure this has been posted before but someone went through a lot of work to research the history of gays and the church.
                                From the link:

Evidently just after October 1893 general conference, Lorenzo Hunsaker told Clawson that recently "Peter and Weldon, his [half-]brothers had circulated a story in that Ward to the effect that [Lorenzo] had been guilty of sucking their penis [sic]...[for] a period of some two or three years....The question, therefore, was what, under the circumstances had best be done." Clawson counseled Lorenzo Hunsaker "that if I were in his place, I should treat the whole affair with silent contempt, and gave as a reason that the charge was so monstrous and ridiculous that he would be degrading himself in the eyes of sensible people to follow it up....My confidence in the purity of Lorenzo's life and faithfulness as a Latter-day Saint," Clawson confided, "was such that I felt it would be an insult to ask him if he were guilty."[45] Had Clawson asked Hunsaker that very question, events might have turned out differently.
                                Two or three years? Impressive endurance.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X