No announcement yet.

The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I stumbled upon A Futile and Stupid Gesture, about the rise and fall of National Lampoon and its co-founder Doug Kenney. Its Rotten Tomatoes critics rating is at only 62%, but I enjoyed it, perhaps because I loved the Lampoon in the early '70s. It covers things like the "Buy this magazine or we'll shoot this dog" cover, the Yearbook issue (a masterpiece), Lemmings (which brought together people like John Belushi, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Lorne Michaels, Gilda Radner, and several others), and the making of Animal House and later Caddyshack, which essentially resulted in Kenney's death. I was engrossed throughout, but it's better at providing a greatest hits overview than delivering on the more serious undertones of sadness and discontent that pervaded Kenney's life. Still, it makes a strong case for how Kenney and Lampoon had a very profound and lasting effect on American humor.

Comment

• Just watched the new Chris Rock special- Tambourine or something. This is a way toned down Chris Rock in a smaller venue and not the over-the-top character in the sold out stadium shows we've come accustomed to seeing. Has some hilarious takes coming to grips with his divorce and other problems he has had. The guy is such a great stand up.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Of the recent suggestions, Ozarks was a huge hit for me. End of the effing World, a strike out. Keep the suggestions coming. Wife and I need a new show.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          Of the recent suggestions, Ozarks was a huge hit for me. End of the effing World, a strike out. Keep the suggestions coming. Wife and I need a new show.
          If you haven't seen Detectorists, you should check it out. Stellar show.

Comment

• Babylon Berlin is really good. But just like Dark it's in German, so you're going to have to read subtitles.

Willy Brandt's son plays one of the main characters.
            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Cloverfield Paradox. I know the critics hated it, but I am irresistably drawn to movies starring Daniel Bruhl. I also like that tall blonde Aussie actress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                Cloverfield Paradox. I know the critics hated it, but I am irresistably drawn to movies starring Daniel Bruhl. I also like that tall blonde Aussie actress.
                We loved the two earlier Cloverfield movies. Esp. 10 Cloverfield Lane. Hated this one.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Jen Kirkman's most recent special on Netflix is really funny. Not as good as the recent Chappelle specials or Patton Oswalt's fucking brilliant recent special, but worth a watch.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                    Jen Kirkman's most recent special on Netflix is really funny. Not as good as the recent Chappelle specials or Patton Oswalt's fucking brilliant recent special, but worth a watch.
                    I like Jen, she's funny. I'll check it out.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I just watched the Crown.

Season 2 was a real freaking struggle to stay awake. I love history, and I've always been intrigued by the British monarch. I don't see how someone who does not share those interests could make it through the show so far.

I'm guessing season 4 will start with Chuck and Di's wedding. It could probably get interesting then.
                      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                        I just watched the Crown.

Season 2 was a real freaking struggle to stay awake. I love history, and I've always been intrigued by the British monarch. I don't see how someone who does not share those interests could make it through the show so far.

I'm guessing season 4 will start with Chuck and Di's wedding. It could probably get interesting then.
                        My wife and I love British dramas, but we couldn't get past the first couple of episodes.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                          I just watched the Crown.

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          My wife and I love British dramas, but we couldn't get past the first couple of episodes.
                          I watched and enjoyed the first few episodes. Once Elizabeth's dad croaked, it was a lot less interesting to me.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            I watched and enjoyed the first few episodes. Once Elizabeth's dad croaked, it was a lot less interesting to me.
                            It's much more realistic than Victoria.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                              It's much more realistic than Victoria.
                              I'll take your word for it.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• This just showed up last week. I've watched a couple time so far.

Last night I watched a lot of it with close captioning on, there are so many small lines, I hadn't noticed before. After the Billy Batts shinebox scene - Jimmy complaining Batts "dented my shoes" and Tommy biggest worry is that he got blood on the floor. What a great movie.

Last edited by Art Vandelay; 02-22-2018, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X