The Sports Officials Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    That's my understanding as well. While enjoying a game in one of the WCC gyms, I imagined a player inbounding the ball from the baseline, stepping back through the adjacent exit door, circling around the building's perimeter, stopping for a quick snack, reentering the gym on the opposite side of the court and, assuming both feet had touched the court, accepting a pass for a easy layup. Could happen, and it'd be legit.
    I didn't catch this before. There is actually a rule in high school that calls for a technical foul to be assessed in the joke situation you describe.

Rule 10-4-2 "A player shall not purposefully and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds." Being legally out of bounds obviously refers to the thrower on an inbound play. The cases specifically discuss a player moving along the baseline out of bounds after throwing the ball and then stepping in to receive a pass for an uncontested layup.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
      I didn't catch this before. There is actually a rule in high school that calls for a technical foul to be assessed in the joke situation you describe.

Rule 10-4-2 "A player shall not purposefully and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds." Being legally out of bounds obviously refers to the thrower on an inbound play. The cases specifically discuss a player moving along the baseline out of bounds after throwing the ball and then stepping in to receive a pass for an uncontested layup.
      That's interesting and good to know, thus ending my stupid fantasy.

Comment

• I was looking forward to a break before football clinics and training for new officials begin in the late spring. But the other night the assignor for the Public School Junior High Basketball league texted and asked if I could take some games for the next 8 weeks. This assignor also happens to be the Secretary/Treasurer of my football officials' association, so I couldn't really say no. It's all about pleasing the right people if you want to move up.

Comment

I was looking forward to a break before football clinics and training for new officials begin in the late spring. But the other night the assignor for the Public School Junior High Basketball league texted and asked if I could take some games for the next 8 weeks. This assignor also happens to be the Secretary/Treasurer of my football officials' association, so I couldn't really say no. It's all about pleasing the right people if you want to move up.
          Good call. You have to play the game. However, don't let them take advantage of you.

Comment

• Football season is nearly upon us. I just took the online rules test, and I'm helping out with field mechanics sessions for new officials (I'm all in with the schmoozing as I'd like to make this the year I move up in the ranks). After almost no rules changes last year, we have a boatload this year. A lot of them are administrative like allowable jersey colors and logos on the balls, and there is an interesting new that will be rarely applied that says the ball is dead if a prosthetic limb comes completely off a runner. In addition to those changes, there are three I would define as rather significant changes:

1. Removal of noncontact face guarding from pass interference restrictions
            2. Definition of blindside block and states that forceful blindside blocks outside of the free-blocking zone are illegal unless performed with open hands
            3. Popup kicks (striking the ball directly into the ground off of the tee so it rebounds high into the air) are now illegal

I think 1 and 2 are good changes. I always thought face guarding was a dumb component of pass interference. If a defender is able to block the receiver's view or the ball without contacting him and without turning around, I always thought it should be considered a good play not a penalty. Also face guarding was another subjective component of pass interference, so I'm not sad to see it go. The blindside block restrictions are also a good rule. With all the emphasis on safety and avoiding unnecessary contact, it is nice to have the rule book clearly define something like this. The past couple years the emphasis was there, but no clear direction, so you were left to your own judgement if blindside blocks were excessive or not. Now it is clear; no more teeing off on non-runners who don't see you. Take him out of the play but don't kill him.

I don't like the no pop-up kicks rule. It is already nearly impossible to recover an onside kick in high school and they just made it even harder. Most teams here don't have a kicker here who could do a pop-up anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.
            Last edited by Omaha 680; 07-11-2017, 06:32 AM.

Comment

• I had a pretty satisfying penalty in my game tonight. Normally I don't take pleasure in throwing flags, but this one was too perfect. I'm on the visiting sideline. They are getting killed so of course it's all our fault. They head coach starts really getting after me on any call. He's also got a chip on his shoulder because I am a stickler on the restricted area and gave him a warning flag in the first quarter and had been very vocal ever since In trying to keep his coaching staff out of there when the ball is live.

On one play in the second half where he didn't like the Call, the chain crew also moved the chains when they shouldn't have. In NYC they are usually just HS kids so it happens. I'm trying to get them back in position while the coach is in my ear about the call and then he decides to pick on the crew and say "why are they moving the chains when they're not supposed to? That's your responsibility! Maybe if you weren't worried about about which coaches are over the line you could get the rest of your job right!" A few plays later on a long run against his defense, he and about 4 other coaches were standing in the area in a group and I bowling balled right through them. I'm not a headhunter like some officials...I will never intentionally hit a coach. But just perhaps I wasn't watching as closely as earlier in the game per the coach's wishes. It was a satisfying flag.

Comment

• I got a call to do a JC soccer game last night. Just ran the lines and it was pretty mellow.

Still fun to do a different level of play.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                  I got a call to do a JC soccer game last night. Just ran the lines and it was pretty mellow.

Still fun to do a different level of play.
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post

That's awesome, BP. I have a goal of doing lower division college football or JC in the next couple years. Gotta get some HS playoff games first, though.

Comment

• Just got informed I'll be getting my first playoff assignment for next weekend.

Comment

Just got informed I'll be getting my first playoff assignment for next weekend.
                        Nice. I did two playoff games last year. It was a lot of fun.

Comment

That's awesome, BP. I have a goal of doing lower division college football or JC in the next couple years. Gotta get some HS playoff games first, though.
                          You are on your way!!!

Comment

Just got informed I'll be getting my first playoff assignment for next weekend.
                            Congrats! It's a great feeling.

Comment

• Random point of interest:

Last night the Referee (white hat) in the Central Michigan vs. Western Michigan football game was female (can't remember which schools exactly, but both schools were directional Michigan schools).

ESPN was airing that game during the World Series finals.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                                Random point of interest:

Last night the Referee (white hat) in the Central Michigan vs. Western Michigan football game was female (can't remember which schools exactly, but both schools were directional Michigan schools).

ESPN was airing that game during the World Series finals.
                                It's a great time to be a woman official. All levels are looking to elevate women officials who are ready. If any of you have daughters in their 20s who enjoy sports, encourage them to start high school basketball or football officiating. If they are good they will be in the NBA or NFL in 15 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X