Originally posted by fusnik View Post
      Comparison time over the past 20 years:

BSU has finished top 25 - 12 times, 3 Fiesta bowl wins, 12-6 bowl games
      BYU has finished top 25 - 6 times, no BCS appearances, 7-8 bowl games
      Why is bsu being better relevant to the competence of kalani

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
        Why is bsu being better relevant to the competence of kalani
        To show where BYU realistically sits in the football landscape. BYU is a step below BSU and programs less than BSU aren’t firing coaches 3 years into their tenure when they are taking 2 out of 3 teams to bowl games.

BYU is performing in line with their schedule. If they were grossly underperforming their schedule fire the dude but he isn’t.

Let’s say they fire him, now what?

Who can you convince to come to BYU?

Bevell? Hasn’t recruited in 20 years
        Anderson? Has a pretty awesome gig already
        Hill? He ain’t coming

Comment

To show where BYU realistically sits in the football landscape. BYU is a step below BSU and programs less than BSU aren’t firing coaches 3 years into their tenure when they are taking 2 out of 3 teams to bowl games.

BYU is performing in line with their schedule. If they were grossly underperforming their schedule fire the dude but he isn’t.

Let’s say they fire him, now what?

Who can you convince to come to BYU?

Bevell? Hasn’t recruited in 20 years
          Anderson? Has a pretty awesome gig already
          Hill? He ain’t coming
          If you think losing to umass, niu, getting killed twice by usu, being 1-5 to instate rivals, and having the worst season in 40 years isn't underperforming, why even be a fan of a team you don't expect more from?

Hill wouldn't leave Weber state? Lol. Please. Worst case, we get another coach capable of losing to UMass at home.

Somehow we avoided such incompetence for 40 years , but now it's too much to ask? Come on now.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
            If you think losing to umass, niu, getting killed twice by usu, being 1-5 to instate rivals, and having the worst season in 40 years isn't underperforming, why even be a fan of a team you don't expect more from?

Hill wouldn't leave Weber state? Lol. Please. Worst case, we get another coach capable of losing to UMass at home.
            NIU is a decent comp.

Past 20 years 4 top 25 finishes, one BCS bowl game, 4-8 bowl games.

Not surprising NIU would beat BYU.

As for Hill, I would be shocked if he went to BYU. He’s creating something legit special in Ogden and has a much higher ceiling than BYU at this point. Plus he played and coached at Utah, why wouldn’t be eye that job?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
              This is false. The exception for a scholarship football player at BYU is that they need to meet the NCAA requirements. That is all. I don't care what has been said on the radio or can be found in an article online. I laugh at this narrative. Yes, I have inside knowledge on this situation and I trust this individual. Once they are in, the academic requirements are very demanding.

If I had a nickel for every insider that gave bullet proof information, I'd be able to buy BYU into the Big 12. I don't doubt you have insider info (obviously you'd be a guy that would) but the chances your info is correct or complete are very, very low.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                This is false. The exception for a scholarship football player at BYU is that they need to meet the NCAA requirements. That is all. I don't care what has been said on the radio or can be found in an article online. I laugh at this narrative. Yes, I have inside knowledge on this situation and I trust this individual. Once they are in, the academic requirements are very demanding.
                Originally posted by Moliere View Post

If I had a nickel for every insider that gave bullet proof information, I'd be able to buy BYU into the Big 12. I don't doubt you have insider info (obviously you'd be a guy that would) but the chances your info is correct or complete are very, very low.
                Unless something has changed recently, Hot Lunch's comments are accurate. I know of a couple of players that BYU wanted and signed and know for a fact that they didn't meet the 3.0 GPA/25 ACT (or whatever the criteria). Obviously, they met NCAA eligibility requirements. Maybe those players counted as exceptions and BYU is not allowed to have an entire recruiting class of exceptions. But if BYU wants someone who is NCAA eligible, they can offer/sign him.
                “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

NIU is a decent comp.

Past 20 years 4 top 25 finishes, one BCS bowl game, 4-8 bowl games.

Not surprising NIU would beat BYU.

As for Hill, I would be shocked if he went to BYU. He’s creating something legit special in Ogden and has a much higher ceiling than BYU at this point. Plus he played and coached at Utah, why wouldn’t be eye that job?
                  Niu is one of multiole points. But if you think 4 and 9 last year isnt underperforming and dessrves an extension , then might as well not have any expectations at all.

Comment

Points taken, but Kalani is 100 times more likeable than Gary Crowton was so it's harder for me to jump on the fire Kalani bandwagon. I was off Crowton's bandwagon before his first year was done. He was a real nut. But yes, something isn't working right. I still think we have a serious talent problem along with coaching miscues.
                    Last edited by BlueK; 11-27-2018, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                      Points taken, but Kalani is 100 times more likeable than Gary Crowton was so it's harder for me to jump on the fire Kalani bandwagon. I was off Crowton's bandwagon before his first year was done. He was a real nut. But yes, something isn't working right. I still think we have a serious talent problem along with coaching miscues.
                      We can, and must, get better. But I think we're not so far off.

Think of how different this all feels if we pick up four additional yards against Boise State and a field goal against Utah. Suddenly we are 8-4, going 2-1 against our biggest rivals, and we're looking for a building to name after Kalani and worrying that Grimes will leave us. Of course, that's not what happened; our offense in particular sputtered when we needed it to run. But how surprising is that lack of consistency after a complete overhaul of the offensive staff and a core group of players who are all freshmen? There is good reason to expect this group will get there.

And by the way, let's revisit the narrative on recruiting. Yes, our recruiting rankings from last year were abysmal. But after a year where so many freshmen from that abysmal class turned out to be key contributors-- including our team's best QB, RB, WR, and several linemen-- can we agree that, while maybe nothing to hang banners about, the recruiting class from last year was at least underrated?
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                        Unless something has changed recently, Hot Lunch's comments are accurate. I know of a couple of players that BYU wanted and signed and know for a fact that they didn't meet the 3.0 GPA/25 ACT (or whatever the criteria). Obviously, they met NCAA eligibility requirements. Maybe those players counted as exceptions and BYU is not allowed to have an entire recruiting class of exceptions. But if BYU wants someone who is NCAA eligible, they can offer/sign him.
                        I have no inside information and I don't know anyone at BYU. But I do know that most high school football players who have D-1 potential do not meet those criteria. I also follow recruiting somewhat closely and have noticed that BYU (like Utah) offers all of the best instate kids. Maybe Utah public education has changed since I attended, but I highly doubt that all of the top talent in Utah is meeting those GPA/ACT cut-offs.

Comment

• I've never heard of a single recruit that we wanted and wanted us, that got denied due to academic issues where the athlete met the minimum NCAA standards. I've heard this argument a lot that we have higher academic standards and it hurts us. But if that were the case, I think we'd hear every year several guys that were in this situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                            I have no inside information and I don't know anyone at BYU. But I do know that most high school football players who have D-1 potential do not meet those criteria. I also follow recruiting somewhat closely and have noticed that BYU (like Utah) offers all of the best instate kids. Maybe Utah public education has changed since I attended, but I highly doubt that all of the top talent in Utah is meeting those GPA/ACT cut-offs.
                            Which is where the exceptions come in. However, kids that would be an exception are put on an academic plan. Moose Bingham said they lose some recruits because of this. They're just wanting to play football and not have to go through all that. Like Utah, BYU offers many of the top kids early to get in the door but just because they had an offer doesn't mean it is still valid later. Sometimes it's due to need, academics, whatever.

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                            I've never heard of a single recruit that we wanted and wanted us, that got denied due to academic issues where the athlete met the minimum NCAA standards. I've heard this argument a lot that we have higher academic standards and it hurts us. But if that were the case, I think we'd hear every year several guys that were in this situation.
                            There are several recruits that fall off every year because of academics. Amone Finau, Nate Latu, Chuck Alatini this year. Moose said if the kid is good enough they will do everything they can to get him in. As CJ mentioned earlier, Garrett Bolles was an example of that. So what you say is true, but they are limited and vary in number each year. And in 3 years as on-site recruiting coordinator Moose said the number was less than 10 each year.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              Which is where the exceptions come in. However, kids that would be an exception are put on an academic plan. Moose Bingham said they lose some recruits because of this. They're just wanting to play football and not have to go through all that. Like Utah, BYU offers many of the top kids early to get in the door but just because they had an offer doesn't mean it is still valid later. Sometimes it's due to need, academics, whatever.

There are several recruits that fall off every year because of academics. Amone Finau, Nate Latu, Chuck Alatini this year. Moose said if the kid is good enough they will do everything they can to get him in. As CJ mentioned earlier, Garrett Bolles was an example of that. So what you say is true, but they are limited and vary in number each year. And in 3 years as on-site recruiting coordinator Moose said the number was less than 10 each year.
                              I'd like more information on this. I don't follow the program as closely as I did 20 years ago, but I can say with near certainty this was not the case back then. When did the change come and why and why was it not more publicized? I don't think any college football programs work with this "exception" concept, do they? Maybe Ivy League but not programs that compete. I never heard of it before. The minimum is the minimum.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                                I'd like more information on this. I don't follow the program as closely as I did 20 years ago, but I can say with near certainty this was not the case back then. When did the change come and why and why was it not more publicized? I don't think any college football programs work with this "exception" concept, do they? Maybe Ivy League but not programs that compete. I never heard of it before. The minimum is the minimum.
                                https://player.fm/series/106059/221544351

It's the last 15 minutes or so of the hour when he talks the academic restrictions. But Hot Lunch will tell you not to believe it.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X