Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man the lifeboats, it looks like the SS Utah Basketball has hit an iceberg.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    Who plays the 4?
    Certainly not Collinsworth. Who was projecting him there?

Comment

Who plays the 4?
      Austin, Mika, Worthington, Harward, Sharp, Ambrosino
      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        KC is a very good ballhandler for someone his size and he was one of BYU's better rebounders that year. His jump shot is terrible, but he's fairly effective at getting to the rim. Put him at the 3 and slide Haws to the 2. He's not a 4.
        I think he is a 4 for BYU. Especially if BYU can find a competent JC transfer who is ready to come in and contribute from the wing. The last JC transfer who could do that was Tyrell Lyday so it is not real likely that much I will admit.

BYU needs to be more physical inside. I like Josh Sharp. I think he tries really, really hard. However, I think Kyle Collinsworth will do a much better job at defending opposing 4's than Sharp does. I think he will do better than Austin as well.
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          Mika or Austin. Probably Austin.
          Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
          Austin, Mika, Worthington, Harward, Sharp, Ambrosino
          Can't believe I forgot about both Austin and Sharp. Who's Worthington?
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Can't believe I forgot about both Austin and Sharp. Who's Worthington?
            Incoming 6'9" freshman from Wisconsin. Decent 3 star recruit.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacob View Post
              Me. That's who. Who do I trust? Me. That's who!

You folks wait and see. Next year BYU will go after a more athletic roster and I think that will be starting Mika and KyleC at that 5 and 4 respectively. Sharp and Austin will come off the bench and I think KyleC will see time on the wing as well.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

He played a lot of 4 at the end of his frosh season.

I don't see him as a 4 unless we get into a situation with injuries or foul trouble. He's very versatile in that he can play a lot of positions on the court.

He's a talent, but he's very raw offensively.

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  Incoming 6'9" freshman from Wisconsin. Decent 3 star recruit.
                  I think Worthington will RS next year for BYU. He is a play straight through and I think Mika, Austin and Harward will man the 5 while Collinsworth, Sharp and Austin will man the 4. I don't think Augie will play any minutes that matter next year or he will transfer to a lower division if he wants to play but my guess is he will hang around BYU to finish his degree and play very little.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post

I don't see him as a 4 unless we get into a situation with injuries or foul trouble. He's very versatile in that he can play a lot of positions on the court.

He's a talent, but he's very raw offensively.
                    Being a 4 puts him in a position to take advantage of his best offensive skills, taking a less athletic player off the dribble and being around the basket for trash and offensive putbacks. I also think it makes BYU better defensively. Rose also really likes to have a 4 who can handle the ball as that helps with the ability to run.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                      Me. That's who. Who do I trust? Me. That's who!

You folks wait and see. Next year BYU will go after a more athletic roster and I think that will be starting Mika and KyleC at that 5 and 4 respectively. Sharp and Austin will come off the bench and I think KyleC will see time on the wing as well.
                      He's not a post player and never has been. He played PG in HS and led the state in assists. I can't imagine why anyone would want to turn him into a 4 when his abilities and size give him an advantage as a guard (or maybe small forward) and a disadvantage in the post.

But, and maybe this is what you are referring to, if nobody steps up at the 4-5, I can see Rose going with some sort of 3 guard lineup, as Florida has done with one small forward and one Center. But that doesn't make that someone a 4 (power forward). Maybe you guys don't mean power forward or post player when you say 4. If so, then I'll thank you to be more clear in the future.

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      Right, after Davies was suspended and we were short-handed. I could still happen in a pinch.

Comment

Being a 4 puts him in a position to take advantage of his best offensive skills, taking a less athletic player off the dribble and being around the basket for trash and offensive putbacks. I also think it makes BYU better defensively. Rose also really likes to have a 4 who can handle the ball as that helps with the ability to run.
                        I'll give it a rest after this, but it seems like you are really confusing Kyle with his brother Chris (around the basket for trash?) even though I'm almost certain you are not. But Kyle's best offensive skill are not putbacks and trash. Seriously, people. This kid is a distributor who runs the offense. He'll replace Carlino in that primary position, moving Carlino to the 2 offensively if Rose knows what's best.

Comment

The last JC transfer who could do that was Tyrell Lyday so it is not real likely that much I will admit.
                          Mike Hall? It's too bad the JC feeder schools are all disappearing. UVU, Dixie, and Ricks are all gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                            Mike Hall? It's too bad the JC feeder schools are all disappearing. UVU, Dixie, and Ricks are all gone.
                            Keena Young.
                            Stephen Rogers, to a lesser extent.

Comment

He's not a post player and never has been. He played PG in HS and led the state in assists. I can't imagine why anyone would want to turn him into a 4 when his abilities and size give him an advantage as a guard (or maybe small forward) and a disadvantage in the post.

But, and maybe this is what you are referring to, if nobody steps up at the 4-5, I can see Rose going with some sort of 3 guard lineup, as Florida has done with one small forward and one Center. But that doesn't make that someone a 4 (power forward). Maybe you guys don't mean power forward or post player when you say 4. If so, then I'll thank you to be more clear in the future.

Right, after Davies was suspended and we were short-handed. I could still happen in a pinch.
                              I don't care how many assists he had in HS I don't see him playing much PG the next two years. I also think his inability to shoot the outside jumper will limit his ability to contribute offensively if he is at the 3. Questions I wonder is who will be BYU's best 5 players to put on the court next year:

I think Carlino and Haws are the only two we are totally sure about.

Other options will be:
                              Collinsworth
                              Winder
                              Delgado
                              A hopeful JC transfer (perhaps Sai Tummalla?)
                              Austin
                              Sharp
                              Mika

My guess is the best 5 are going to be:
                              Carlino
                              Haws
                              JC Transfer or Winder or Delgado
                              Collinsworth
                              Mika

I could also see where Sharp replaces the JC Transfer, Winder or Delgado piece. In that case I can see Collinsworth sliding to the 3. But sliding to some 4 when BYU goes with a perimeter of Carlino, Haws, JC Transfer or Winder or Delgado.

I think BYU's best defensive team will be with Collinsworth at the 4 and Winder at the 2.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I agree, and I don't think it's impossible KC will end up playing the 4 or at least large chunks of time at the 4.

My gut is that KC comes off the bench next year, and it takes a while for Rose to figure out where he fits best.

Comment

Working...
                                X