2016 Holiday Running/Cycling/Swimming Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
    And we should start sooner rather than later.
    I've got the spreadsheet already put together. I initially had it set to start on Nov 19 but I can move it back if people want.

Here's the link to the spreadsheet. I'll post the instructions when I get more time today. I already rode 40 miles this morning and was home a little after 7am...that's what I get for having so many kids' activities to take care of each saturday.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Moliere; 11-07-2016, 04:16 AM.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Thanks for setting this up again. For the record, much of my runs will be walking. But I try to push it (my pace is now typically around 4 mph), and I'm starting to mix in some running with a view toward getting back to fulltime running eventually. I'm biased, obviously, but I think it would be great to include anyone who can only walk at this point. The key is to get out and move, in whatever fashion, right?

And I'll be traveling the week of 11/19 as well, but I think you should leave the dates as they are. More motivation to get out, even if on the road, and shed some excess poundage that will no doubt start piling up that week.
      Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 11-05-2016, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Walking is fine. It's based on miles, not time, so whatever you want to do to get some miles in. Crabwalking would count as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

in as well

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            I've got the spreadsheet already put together. I initially had it set to start on Nov 19 but I can move it back if people want.

Here's the link to the spreadsheet. I'll post the instructions when I get more time today. I already rode 40 miles this morning and was home a little after 7am...that's what I get for having so many kids' activities to take care of each saturday.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
            I think that looks perfect. Thanks for doing this.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Okay CSers, here's the deets on the challenge.

Here's a link to the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

After taking last year off, it's time to get back in shape. As usual we are keeping things simple and only permitting running, cycling, and swimming with adjustments made to the cycling/swimming mileage to put everything on the same level. Here’s the adjustment ratios:

3.5 cycling miles = 1 running mile
              400 swimming meters = 1 running mile

These ratios worked pretty well in 2014 so I vote we keep them the same.

Charity: In the past we’ve donated some money to charity based on mileage and have allowed the winner to pick the charity of choice. This was all completely voluntary and payment was on your honor. Do we want to allow for this again this year? I like the idea and would prefer to keep it. Maybe we can all donate the money to wuap...

Spreadsheet Tracker: We’ll use a similar spreadsheet tracker as in past years. Basically you just have to put your name on the first tab, then your name will flow through to the other tabs automatically. Then, after your run/bike/swim session you just have to input the miles/meters into the appropriate tab "Running" for a run, "Cycling" for a bike ride, and “Swimming” for, well, a swim. Just input your miles as miles and meters as meters and the spreadsheet will automatically adjust them based on the run/bike ratio of 1:3.5 and the run/swim ratio.

For those that are more visual learners, here's a step by step method including pictures (these are old images from 3 years ago but they still work):

Step 1: Input your name on the "Total" tab and also mark whether or not you are participating in the charity portion of the challenge
              1.JPG

Step 2: Let's say I ran 6.2 miles on the first day of the challenge. I'd go to the "Running" tab and input "6.2" into the appropriate cell...
              2.JPG

Step 3: Let's say I rode 25 miles on the second day of the challenge. I'd go to the "Cycling" tab and input "25" into the appropriate cell...
              3.JPG

Step4: You can then see your overall total mileage as well as how you stack up against other CSers by going to the "Total" tab...
              4.JPG

I'll also put a link to the spreadsheet in the first post in this thread.

Comment

And here's an old copy/paste of some of the rules...if they count as rules.

General Guidelines
                There's been a number of questions on what to count and what not to count as far as the spreadsheet goes. This is a fitness challenge and the goal of it is to get people out/up and moving during a time of the year that exercise sometimes gets pushed to the side or totally forgotten. If we get everyone doing something fitness wise then the main goal of the challenge is reached. The second goal is to compete against each other (in a friendly manner) so as to make it more motivating and interesting. At the end of the day it's really a personal choice on what to count and what not to count, but I figured I'd give some general guidelines on what might be acceptable/not acceptable.
                - Everything has to be trackable in miles and/or meters. We aren't doing calories or minutes or hours or joules. If you have a smartphone then you likely have a gps that can track your distance. There are plenty of free apps out there and many work very well.

Running
                - Anytime you are running would be acceptable to count including long distance, sprints, races, speed work, etc.
                - I'd also count walking, especially the way happyone walks. Walking is very good exercise, it just takes longer to get in the same miles as running
                - I wouldn't count all the walking we do in a day. This means getting up and going to the fridge, printer, store, whatever is not really the goal of the challenge as you would do that anyway as part of your day.
                - CJF's post about counting his walking would probably be fine because he's taking a conscious effort to be more active and has a baseline against which he can measure the increase in activity. It sounds like a lot of work to track but if it gets him doing more walking/running than he does on a typical day then by all means count it.
                - I'd personally not count just the regular walking done during the day (the 1.5 miles CJF is backing out) mainly because we probably all walk around the same distance so having one person count it and another not count it would seem off. If you make a conscious effort to walk/run more (like CJF) then by all means count the extra miles. However, if you feel like you should count all miles walked during the day then that is your decision.
                - Treadmill miles are definitely fine, although I'd prefer running in freezing rain as opposed to the dreadmill.
                - Football, basketball, baseball, softball, cricket, soccer, volleyball, and whatever other kind of sport are out. Sorry but the line has been drawn at triathlon type sports and I've never seen a guy dribbling a basketball while running the final leg of a tri.
                - Parkour? Sure I guess if you are tracking miles but no extra points for flips.

Cycling
                - Road/Mountain/City cycling are all great and fine
                - Trainer/exercise bike should be fine as well as long as the resistance and distance are all pretty close to what you'd experience on the road.
                - Spin classes? I have no idea if they track miles but as far as I'm concerned you should count it. I walk by a spin class everytime I swim and those poor bastards look like they are all going to keel over so I figure it must be tough.
                - Family bike ride around the neighborhood where you stop and chat up the neighbors? Sure, count it.

Swimming
                - Lap and open water swimming are definitely in.
                - Messing around at the neighborhood pool is not in.
                - Running in 100% humidity doesn't count as swimming even if it feels like swimming
                - Waterslides don't count as swimming

Other items that are generally out
                - Weightlifting
                - Dancing
                - Pilates
                - Stretching
                - Sex (unless it's on a moving tandem bike in which case you can count the miles as cycling)
                - Jumping rope
                - Climbing up the walls

Hope this helps. Like I said, I think we'd prefer that more people participate rather than less people so count what you think should count.

Comment

I like the rules and guidelines--you've done some nice work there. By including walking and stationary cycling, nearly everyone can get involved. I also like the idea of helping one of our own. Thanks.

Comment

I'm in. Thanks for putting this together.

Comment

Thanks for putting this together. I am happy to be tied for first in all categories until the 19th.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

where can i buy a tandem
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                          where can i buy a tandem
                          My wife and I have a tandem, although we have not put it to all of its apparent uses. For maximum enjoyment you should contact creekster, who has a triple.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            My wife and I have a tandem, although we have not put it to all of its apparent uses. For maximum enjoyment you should contact creekster, who has a triple.
                            Alas, we sold the triple a few years back when my youngest refused to ride it. Not long after the day you found me sitting on the side of the road swearing at a chain that was twisted beyond use in two places. We do still have a tandem but, like you, have apparently not managed to fully utilize it capacities.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Thanks for the offer to donate to me. We are blessed with more than sufficient for our needs. However, the town of Nichols, SC was almost completely submerged due to 17 inches of rain from Hurricane Matthew, and the accompanying flooding that caused. Please consider giving to this organization (Operation Blessing International) that helps the poor gut and rebuild their houses. https://secure.ob.org/site/Donation2...donation=form1
                              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I'm in

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Working...
                                X