Curbside Consult Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
    Iodine in open wounds does the same thing as peroxide - basically kills living cells/tissues. Water and then more water is best. If you think you've washed the wound enough, do another liter of water.

As a side note, I had a patient swear that drinking a teaspoon of Hydrogen of Peroxide daily was the secret to a long and healthy life.
    What about isopropyl alcohol?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      What about isopropyl alcohol?
      Putting it on open wounds or drinking it?

I don't think either one would be beneficial.
      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
        Putting it on open wounds or drinking it?

I don't think either one would be beneficial.
        Surely antibacterial ointments are good though, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          Pasteurella sepsis in an otherwise healthy patient? I'm guessing that's publishable.

You're like the Soonercoug of the medical community.

But yes, red streaks from wound=bad.
          Acute kidney injury, cardiac demand ischemia (trop elevated), levophed drip, lactic acid of like 5. Positive blood cultures two sets within 18 hours (always a bad sign when they come back that fast). CVP was 0 for hours. I think in gave the patient around 8 liters of fluid in the first 12 hours. A couple of units of PRBCs. Was out of the unit in two days and home two days later.

Now, every wound gets a 99212 within 24 hours.

via a galaxy s3 far far away
          "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

In an open wound, to lower the risk of infection, they are OK. Still not an adequate substitute for thorough debridement.

I wouldn't recommend taking them orally.
            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

I used to say no. I still say no to Neosporin, due to some ugly neomycin allergies I've seen, but the other antibiotic ointments (without neomycin) are fine. I actually just came across a study that said they were beneficial so I've changed my tack a little on this (really, in the end, I don't think they make much of a difference).

Here's a tidbit I just found on medscape:
              The efficacy of topical antimicrobial formulations in the prevention of wound infections caused by surface contaminants has been evaluated.[10] In a prospective study examining infection rates of traumatic wounds sutured in the emergency room, use of topical antibiotics (bacitracin zinc ointment; TAO; silver sulfadiazine cream) resulted in significantly lower infection rates compared with a petrolatum control. There were no differences among groups in patient characteristics, wound care (scrubbing or debridement), suturing, compliance with topical applications, tetanus immunization, or wound treatment characteristics The lowest infection rate of the tested topical antibiotics was 4.5%, seen with TAO. Bacitracin prophylaxis produced an infection rate of 5.5%, and silver sulfadiazine, 12.1%.
              http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/457542_5
              Last edited by ERCougar; 01-29-2013, 07:15 PM.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                I didn't know there was peroxide in lens cleaner. It makes some sense there because it's not killing healthy tissue (assuming you're not putting them directly in your eyes....).

Water. Water. More water. SJS may disagree with me here, but the plastic surgeons taught me that Betadyne does more harm than good on wounds. Skin prep for surgery is a different matter.
                It's a special kind my eye doc recommended. Most of them don't have it. Based on the amount of time I spend running, cycling, etc. he said it would help me get gunk off better. Not sure how much truth there is to it but I did get much longer life out of my contacts this last year.

My wife thought it was normal solution at first and rinsed her contacts and then put them in. It was really funny - in hindsight.
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                  It's a special kind my eye doc recommended. Most of them don't have it. Based on the amount of time I spend running, cycling, etc. he said it would help me get gunk off better. Not sure how much truth there is to it but I did get much longer life out of my contacts this last year.

My wife thought it was normal solution at first and rinsed her contacts and then put them in. It was really funny - in hindsight.
                  Hydrogen peroxide has a disk in the case that causes a chemical reaction. I don't remember the chemistry, but it most definitely isn't caustic after it is complete.

via a galaxy s3 far far away
                  "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

• Thanks for all the advice -- and the interesting conversation that followed. In the end, I chose to follow the good doctor's advice and return to pursue the animal, go Quentin Tarantino on that mofo and cut it open to find out what color all its innards were. Should I have followed the advice of an MD instead of a PhD?

I checked and my last tetanus was fairly recent, I'm keeping it clean, though I wish I had washed it even more and more quickly now, and the story is already fun to tell. I will definitely keep an eye out for red streaks and Alien-like creatures protruding.

I felt like a wuss calling animal services but, as my wife pointed out, how crappy would I feel if I read in couple of days that this dog attacked some kid and I had just sat on my arse? There was a grandma with a 2-year old maybe 200 feet behind them on the trail and I warned her so hopefully others will be on the lookout for this dog.

I am surprised though by some of the people on my FB post who came to the defense of the dogs, laying more blame on owners. Sorry, but in the case of the state of today's pit bulls, that doesn't hold water to me.
                    I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• As someone who has 2 sisters who like animals more than people, it drives me nuts when people stick up for the animals. It's not responsible for the owner to keep an animal that acts like that around other people. Owners are responsible to make sure they don't bite or attack people, especially if they have a questionable breed. Screw people who defend that poorly socialized animal. That's horseshit.
                      Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                        As someone who has 2 sisters who like animals more than people, it drives me nuts when people stick up for the animals. It's not responsible for the owner to keep an animal that acts like that around other people. Owners are responsible to make sure they don't bite or attack people, especially if they have a questionable breed. Screw people who defend that poorly socialized animal. That's horseshit.
                        "there are no bad pets, just bad owners."

I hate that shit.
                        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          "there are no bad pets, just bad owners."

I hate that shit.
                          I dunno. I think it's sad when an entire kennel of dogs is euthanized because they've been trained to dogfight. It's not their faults. I'm not saying it's the wrong decision (they're dangerous fighting machines by the time most of them are saved) but there's no reason to believe they couldn't have been perfectly normal dogs in different circumstances. I realize this is an extreme example, to be sure.
                          "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
                            I dunno. I think it's sad when an entire kennel of dogs is euthanized because they've been trained to dogfight. It's not their faults. I'm not saying it's the wrong decision (they're dangerous fighting machines by the time most of them are saved) but there's no reason to believe they couldn't have been perfectly normal dogs in different circumstances. I realize this is an extreme example, to be sure.

I recall reading an article in SI on the Michael Vick dogs. Of the 50 or so dogs, only one had to be destroyed for behavior-related reasons. A few others died naturally, or were put down for medical reasons. In fact, a few months ago I read a follow-up article by BAD RAP and a good majority of the dogs they received, earned their GCC title or became therapy dogs. Most dogs, including so-called pit bulls, regardless of their past, can be rehabilitated, especially as it relates to people.

Comment

• Originally posted by mUUser View Post
                              I recall reading an article in SI on the Michael Vick dogs. Of the 50 or so dogs, only one had to be destroyed for behavior-related reasons. A few others died naturally, or were put down for medical reasons. In fact, a few months ago I read a follow-up article by BAD RAP and a good majority of the dogs they received, earned their GCC title or became therapy dogs. Most dogs, including so-called pit bulls, regardless of their past, can be rehabilitated, especially as it relates to people.
                              Perhaps I spoke too strongly based on an episode of Animal Cops I watched. (I don't routinely watch Animal Planet but I do find Animal Cops interesting from a legal perspective.) They found more than 20 dogs who had been trained to dogfight and most of them were euthanized due to being dangerously aggressive and too strong to control (they had been chained up with chains links an inch and a half thick to make them crazy strong as they fought the chains).

I'm glad to hear this isn't the fate for all of these animals. If anything, what you said somewhat reinforces the "No bad animals, just bad owners" statement.
                              "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

• It is a shame to see the outcome of the dog fighting circles. My neighbor received an American Bulldog that was rescued, from a drug compound, as a pup. He is very intimidating (read:looks and bark) but is the biggest sweetheart of a dog. I have never hesitated having my young children play in the neighbors yard. He could be a rare example or not, I don't know. Just a casual observation.
                                I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Working...
                                X