Oahu. Wahoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oahu. Wahoo

My wife has backed out on another 3rd world vacation spot, but is up to a trip to Hawaii. We've always done Maui before but want to do the PCC and a few other things on Oahu. I hate crowds and especially hate crowds of tourists, so I don't want to ne anywhere near Waikiki. We are going to try and go the private house/condo rental route. What beach or part of the island will give us nice sand, relative quietness, but not so far in BFE we have to drive forever to eat or see attractions? We are going the first week in April, will the North Shore still have the big waves going? I don't particularly want to drown while body surfing or following DDD's recommendation and learning to surf.

Very timely AV. I'll be watching the answers with peaked interest.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

There are some pretty inexpensive condos for rent on the Turtle Bay property. It's more fun to stay in the hotel though. It's pretty centrally located for the stuff you want to do on the north shore.

Comment

It can still be big in April but if it were you wouldn't be getting out there anyway, so dont worry about drowning.

It is odd that you don't want to be touristy yet you go to Hawaii. Is there a more touristy place in the us besides Disneyland and NYC?

Body surfing is lame, only slightly less lame than sponging. Learn to surf. sorry just being honest!
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          It can still be big in April but if it were you wouldn't be getting out there anyway, so dont worry about drowning.

It is odd that you don't want to be touristy yet you go to Hawaii. Is there a more touristy place in the us besides Disneyland and NYC?

Body surfing is lame, only slightly less lame than sponging. Learn to surf. sorry just being honest!
          I also hate most pasty white, take sports way too seriously, loud and obnoxious BYU fans and yet when I look in the mirror...

Comment

My wife and I are also planning a week in Hawaii at the beginning of April - already have the house rented in one of those towns on the north shore (I'd have to look it up to tell you which).

It has been years since either of us has been there - back when with our parents when we were children.

So I'm looking forward to the touristy things that I wouldn't have appreciated when I was a kid - like Pearl Harbor and Punch Bowl. We'll hit the PCC and the temple as well. And I've been looking at setting up some surf lessons just for kicks.

I'd love any suggestions for good places to eat. Particularly good places that aren't too pricey - don't want to break the bank eating, but do want to enjoy it.

Comment

A good friend of mine, a native Hawaiian, tells me Ko'Olina is the best place on Oahu. Anyone been there?

Comment

I have stayed at Turtle Bay condos a couple of times recetnyl and I am not a huge fan. The hotel is nice but I would not stay at the condos unless you absolutely had to be right by the PCC. Also, there is not much at turtle bay other than ther hotel, the condos and the PCC.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                  A good friend of mine, a native Hawaiian, tells me Ko'Olina is the best place on Oahu. Anyone been there?
                  Of course. It's nice if you're just looking to hang out and not do water sports. Man-made lagoons, no waves, etc. No that far from town, but a good jaunt out to the North Shore/PCC and such.
                  So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

If you stay at Turtle Bay you should go see my uncle play music. He's there at the bar/restaurant on the weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                      If you stay at Turtle Bay you should go see my uncle play music. He's there at the bar/restaurant on the weekends.
                      Real Uncle or Poly "uncle"?
                      *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                        Real Uncle or Poly "uncle"?
                        Both.

My little cousin that I've posted video of, it's his dad. My mom's older brother. He's a good entertainer.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                          I'm sure he would "have to work late" or would have some other "have to shampoo my hair" type excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                            I'm sure he would "have to work late" or would have some other "have to shampoo my hair" type excuse.
                            That is his work. He'll be there.

Comment

If BYU makes the Final Four, there is a 100% chance I will be divorced before the championship, as my flight to the islands is Sunday April 3rd.

I have only seen the show Mav v. Food one time, when he was in Hawaii. Helena's Hawaiian Food looked fantastic. Has anyone every tried it out, or has other dining suggestions in the area?

Comment

Working...
                              X