No announcement yet.

Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just curious, what kind of fuel belt do you use? I tried one, but if I didn't have it strapped very tight, the bottle kept bouncing around and falling out, but when I strapped it tight enought that it didn't bounce, it bothered my back. This is the one I had.

http://www.mysaltlakerunningco.com/s...AAIABDADGKHGEC
    "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

I usually run an out and back route, with only about 5 miles on pavement. I put water bottles out every mile or two, and it works until the temps are in the high 90's. Then I have to be careful.
      sigpic
      "Outlined against a blue, gray
      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
        Just curious, what kind of fuel belt do you use? I tried one, but if I didn't have it strapped very tight, the bottle kept bouncing around and falling out, but when I strapped it tight enought that it didn't bounce, it bothered my back. This is the one I had.

http://www.mysaltlakerunningco.com/s...AAIABDADGKHGEC
        I have this one.

http://www.mysaltlakerunningco.com/s...AAAAIMGDDLJOEC

It worked well for a year or more, but now I rarely use it because it got stretched out and doesn't fit very well. Also, I've had to wear it kind of tight so it won't bounce around. (wow, just reread that. If you didn't know I was talking about a fuel belt, this post would be kind of weird)

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
          I have this one.

http://www.mysaltlakerunningco.com/s...AAAAIMGDDLJOEC

It worked well for a year or more, but now I rarely use it because it got stretched out and doesn't fit very well. Also, I've had to wear it kind of tight so it won't bounce around. (wow, just reread that. If you didn't know I was talking about a fuel belt, this post would be kind of weird)
          Thats the same belt I use. I love it. No complaints at all over the past couple of years. But then again, I don't put on Sea Chicken mileage, so I may just have to give it time before it wears out.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
            Thats the same belt I use. I love it. No complaints at all over the past couple of years. But then again, I don't put on Sea Chicken mileage, so I may just have to give it time before it wears out.
            I'll have to try it then, I want to have something for my longs runs for both the water as well as a pouch for gels.
            "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

I'm amazed that you guys can get by on 20 oz. of water for a 20 mile run. When I take my Camelbak with me, I'm sucking out the last drops during the last mile. That's 70 ounces. I must have hyperactive sweat glands or something.

Comment

Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
                Early on in my training for my first marathon, I misjudged how much water I needed to consume at a stop around mile 8 and passed out a couple of miles further down the Provo River Trail.
                It was a great lesson for me in what my body demands
                I've been on the brink of that, but thankfully I've never passed out.

I didn't take any water or gel with me on my first 20 miler when I was training for my first marathon. I was a complete idiot about it. About 10-11 miles in, I was completely spent, I just couldn't go anymore. Everything got really bright and my ears started to ring. The thought of getting a drink of water out of the gutter actually crossed my mind. It was one of the most ridiculous situations I've ever put myself in. I found a tree to sit under for awhile and finally recovered enough to get moving, but I still had a 9 mile walk home. Like you, I learned a lot about what my body has to have to function.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View Post
                  I've been on the brink of that, but thankfully I've never passed out.

I didn't take any water or gel with me on my first 20 miler when I was training for my first marathon. I was a complete idiot about it. About 10-11 miles in, I was completely spent, I just couldn't go anymore. Everything got really bright and my ears started to ring. The thought of getting a drink of water out of the gutter actually crossed my mind. It was one of the most ridiculous situations I've ever put myself in. I found a tree to sit under for awhile and finally recovered enough to get moving, but I still had a 9 mile walk home. Like you, I learned a lot about what my body has to have to function.
                  On my worst bonk, I was lucky enough to have a phone with me. My wife found me staggering down a dirt road, gazing longingly at the irrigation water in a ditch.

Comment

On my worst bonk, I was lucky enough to have a phone with me. My wife found me staggering down a dirt road, gazing longingly at the irrigation water in a ditch.
                    That is a great image. Last weekend I went running along the canal and after 6 miles had to dunk my head to cool off a bit. I have tried the belts and I don't like them. Maybe that is why I am destined to run under 10 miles eternally.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                      I have tried the belts and I don't like them. Maybe that is why I am destined to run under 10 miles eternally.
                      I don't either. I had an amphipod belt and the bottles kept falling out. My Fuel Belt was ok, but the bottles are too small and every once in a while the velcro will just let go, scattering the bottles and my mp3 player everywhere. I've decided it's just easier to put the liquid on my back and go. I don't think a convenient way to hydrate on a long run even exists.

Comment

I'm amazed that you guys can get by on 20 oz. of water for a 20 mile run. When I take my Camelbak with me, I'm sucking out the last drops during the last mile. That's 70 ounces. I must have hyperactive sweat glands or something.
                        On my long runs last year, because I was nursing an injury I ran on some dirt trails near my house that included a 4 mile loop. Each pass I would stop by my car and refill the water bottles. I probably downed them 4 or 5 times each on the 20 miler.

This past Saturday I easily drained 20 oz in 5 miles.

I've never tried a Camelbak running. Thats seems like it would be awful.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                          I've never tried a Camelbak running. Thats seems like it would be awful.
                          It's not ideal, I will admit, but it's really not too bad after some of the weight is gone. The most annoying thing is that it chafes my neck. There's no other way for me to bring even close to enough liquid. Once I start running, stopping to refill or for any other reason is not an option. I just want to keep going and get it done.

Comment

If you drink 70 ounces, do you have to stop to pee along the way?

Comment

If you drink 70 ounces, do you have to stop to pee along the way?
                              He just lets it go mid stride. He is hard core like that.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                                He just lets it go mid stride. He is hard core like that.
                                Followup question: Does letting it go mid stride cause chaffing?

Comment

Working...
                                X