Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.facebook.com/AboveAverag...8488708842056/
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I ran the Bank of America Chicago Marathon (gotta support the lead sponsor) last weekend and it's such a well-run event. I've done a Disney race in the past, but that's a different beast and I really enjoyed the standalone event. The course was great and I enjoyed seeing so much of the city. (Admittedly, I didn't know that Wrigley is on the edge of Chicago's version of the Castro District -- I wonder what Harry Caray thought of that?) The crowd support was fantastic and I just love being in a race with thousands of others. The expo was excellent.

I didn't run the time I wanted to hit and I think one of the main reasons is my poor sleep habit and I need to improve upon that. The Strava app read the course at about 27.4 miles which is ridiculous and it's a long mental battle when the Garmin is buzzing "Mile 6" but the course marker for Mile 6 doesn't come for another half a mile.

One other interesting item was that the Abbott Labs booth at the expo had footprints on the carpet. The booth host explained that they did some research on elite marathoners and the average stride length for elite males is 5' 10" and for females, it's 5' 3". That's some impressive area that's being covered and I guess I need to listen to old conference talks and lengthen my stride.
      I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• Did the Mt Nebo Marathon this past weekend.

This is only my third marathon and finally found a good training program. https://runkeeper.com/fitness-class/...5/06/17&page=3

Just wish I would have worked on speed more. Also my long run of 20 miles was not enough, should have done a 23 mile day.

This race is small and kind of sucky. Lots of hills in the first 10 miles that really put me behind the clock and killed my quads. I was expecting the downhill that came with the race and had trained for that but the uphill killed me.

There was not gels at mile 7 or mile 9 like advertised, at least they were there at mile 19.

I ran out of gas at mile 23, just hit the wall. I was also monitoring my pace and time and knew that there was no way to make up time to get near my goal so I was ok sucking at that point. This was also when my wife caught up to me and passed me. I didn't have the mental toughness to stay with her (she ended up beating me by almost 5 minutes).

Overall i feel like I did ok, got a pr by almost 15 minutes, but am still 10 minutes off of Boston qualifying, and more like 15 minutes off of what I need to actually get into the race.

Already looking for the next race. May even do one in about 8 weeks to just piggy back on my fitness level and just work on speed.

My wife was 3rd overall female. I managed 3rd in my age group. Like I said, small race.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
          Did the Mt Nebo Marathon this past weekend....
          Even with the downhill, a 7:43 min/mi average is very impressive. I think the last time I ran a single mile that fast was around 1988, but that was without any downhill so perhaps no diff.

Comment

• Nice work, BP. That is really fast. BQ times are crazy hard for our age group. I'm telling you - Mt. Charleston in April. That's your golden ticket. I have no shot at a BQT, but my training partner should come really close.

We are planning to use a combination of your Runkeeper program and the Hal Higdon Intermediate I program. They are fairly similar for their long run schedule. Its going to be tough for me to get those back to back runs on Fri/Sat. I really like how much the Runkeeper program mixes in speed and tempo work. Higdon is straight mileage, which gets boring after so long.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
              Nice work, BP. That is really fast. BQ times are crazy hard for our age group. I'm telling you - Mt. Charleston in April. That's your golden ticket. I have no shot at a BQT, but my training partner should come really close.

We are planning to use a combination of your Runkeeper program and the Hal Higdon Intermediate I program. They are fairly similar for their long run schedule. Its going to be tough for me to get those back to back runs on Fri/Sat. I really like how much the Runkeeper program mixes in speed and tempo work. Higdon is straight mileage, which gets boring after so long.
              I am really looking at doing the Revel one in November in LA. Looking at this: http://findmymarathon.com/marathon-time-conversion.php It says I could run about 20 minutes faster. Very tempting. Mt Charleston would get me about 10-12 minutes.

It is still in the mix.

Comment

• Definitely impressive, Piney. Nike has a site with plans for a variety of distances from 5k to 26.2 and I like the detail it provides for each week. I haven't lived by the plan yet, but I want to go back and implement more in my training. https://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/running/nike-run-club/training-plans/marathon

After bonking in Chicago last year, I decided to do more group training with a local group and it has helped push me in my speed work. I'm getting more miles in, though I haven't been able to log the long runs yet with the heat and humidity we've had. Adding the true speed work is paying off mentally and I'm enjoying the challenge, even if I'm not yet counting on a 3:45 marathon. In March I ran a small half and did PR, so I saw some benefits. Based on that time, I should be able to shave 20 minutes at least off my full time. I know I needed one more 20+ leading up to Chicago, but I think another big difference over my first full was that I was able to run a lot more 7- and 8-milers in my training than I did for Chicago and I think those extra couple of miles on the mid-week runs made the long run more impactful.

Now I need to find some races to put on the schedule for the fall so that I can see the benefits when this heat and humidity break.
                I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• Well done, BP. You will get there.

The Missus and I plan on jogging the LV, as injuries prevent me from racing any more, but I am impressed by you and others here. Go out and get it, because at some point your joints may stop you from progressing.
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• I'm running 17 miles in the morning and ill be thinking of y'all!
                    hi

Comment

• Originally posted by bestellen View Post
                      I'm running 17 miles in the morning and ill be thinking of y'all!
                      That is so sweet of you to think of us. Have fun!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Darn. Mount Charleston marathon already sold out.

Comment

Darn. Mount Charleston marathon already sold out.
                          Dang. That was the only one I really wanted to do. I guess I can skip the training now.

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            Dang. That was the only one I really wanted to do. I guess I can skip the training now.
                            Don't you worry, Pelado. I'll find a good replacement for us. There's a really fast marathon in Boise that I would love to do, but it's the wrong time of year.

Comment

Don't you worry, Pelado. I'll find a good replacement for us. There's a really fast marathon in Boise that I would love to do, but it's the wrong time of year.
                              No, no. I had my heart set on uh...Mount...uh...Charleston. Can't just replace that, even with an obviously superior event in the Gem State.

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                No, no. I had my heart set on uh...Mount...uh...Charleston. Can't just replace that, even with an obviously superior event in the Gem State.

Is that marathon running UP Mount Charleston or down Mt Charleston? Big difference.

Back when I was in running shape, about ten years ago or more, my ultra running buddy had a habit of running double whatever I did. So I jogged a marathon with my now ex wife, and so did my buddy, but before that, he had run the Vegas marathon in reverse to meet us at the starting line, so that he didn't have to pay the entrance fee.
                                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X