Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    They seem to be trying to get away from the label "Mormon"

Imagine if Catholics didn't want to be called Catholic or Muslims didn't want to be called Muslims.

An uphill battle.
    Catholic is the name of that church, dummy.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
      Also, President Nelson looks spry!
      Wife is 26 years younger than he is...
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
        So giving him a pass is equivalent to sustaining him? That should make it a lot easier.
        I am sorry I expressed it that way. Have a great day.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
          Catholic is the name of that church, dummy.
          Imagine trying to change the name of the Church.

The Mormon Church is the Mormon Church. It may not be their legal name, but they have used and embraced this term for many decades. This fact is undeniable. You can't easily run from a name that you've embraced and even used in commercials and ad campaigns:

"I'm a Mormon"

"The Mormons"

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
            Wife is 26 years younger than he is...
            Dude....
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• I think this marks the 10th conference in a row where BM has watched more of it than I have.

FYI, the Panthers/Giants game was awesome, except a little warm.

Comment

• So still in the marriage business, as long as the temple isn't under refurbishment, and an announcement on missions to be made at a later date?

Comment

• 7 mins after conference ended, RMN posted on fb. This while half or more of the church is supposed to be on a social media fast.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    7 mins after conference ended, RMN posted on fb. This while half or more of the church is supposed to be on a social media fast.

Because members who are on the ‘fast’ are likely the only persons who will see and be influenced by his post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• General Conference Predictions

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      7 mins after conference ended, RMN posted on fb. This while half or more of the church is supposed to be on a social media fast.
                      Had you been on the fast, this would not have triggered you!

See how prophetic he is?
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Maybe it is a test. Any female who likes or comments on the post will be placed on a "tare list".

Comment

• Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
                          Maybe it is a test. Any female who likes or comments on the post will be placed on a "tare list".
                          The sifting has begun...

I clocked her at 23 hours.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Clearly the RMN/DHO biumvirate was not on board with the TSM/DFU-driven “I’m a Mormon” campaign. And they are now in charge and doing something about it. And they are doing their darndest to prevent pendulum swings in the other direction once they are gone.
                            Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                            “Clearly”

It's pretty obvious that is what is happening. And until this morning, I wasn't even aware of RMN's attempt in the 90s to jettison the term "Mormon," nor was I aware of GBH's talk six months later leaning into the term. But those talks support my theory. This has been a pet issue of RMN's for some time. Clearly.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

It's pretty obvious that is what is happening. And until this morning, I wasn't even aware of RMN's attempt in the 90s to jettison the term "Mormon," nor was I aware of GBH's talk six months later leaning into the term. But those talks support my theory. This has been a pet issue of RMN's for some time. Clearly.
                              Nelson takes me back to the days of the MTC and the crowd that insisted we call each other by our "distinguished titles" instead of by last names because we weren't a football team. If I close my eyes for long enough, I can hear the admonitions to carry ourselves with quiet dignity even now!

Comment

• I think Nelson's talk about the name of the Church was misguided. It's hard to come off well when you're lecturing people about what words they should use, ignoring all kinds of relevant facts, and rehearsing how to "handle" conversations.

I think the talk was a non-starter for a significant number of believing church members, and was downright creepy for many people who aren't members.

Having said that, it's pretty easy to ignore and is certainly out of my control.

When some over-zealous idiot tries to correct me, I'll say something like, "Shut up," followed by "Later I'll tell you what I really think."
                                Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 10-08-2018, 09:31 AM.
                                We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Working...
                                X