Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
    Did they release the lottery already? Thought that wasn't until Monday.
    I think they usually release it the first Friday night of May at around 5:00pm. We often head over to the coast for a bike ride that weekend, so the girls are anxiously awaiting the 5:00 release time.

All I know is I got an excited text this morning saying that she was in. Already has the condo booked.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

A saturday marathon in California, and it has major downhill.
      A friend is trying to convince me to do Santa Barbara the weekend after this one. They both sound miserable to me, as does any marathon at this point in my training cycle (non-existent, btw).

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
        I think they usually release it the first Friday night of May at around 5:00pm. We often head over to the coast for a bike ride that weekend, so the girls are anxiously awaiting the 5:00 release time.

All I know is I got an excited text this morning saying that she was in. Already has the condo booked.
        The email went to my junk folder. I'm in too. They didn't even have the full 7800 sign up so everybody got in and they are doing late registration.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
          The email went to my junk folder. I'm in too. They didn't even have the full 7800 sign up so everybody got in and they are doing late registration.
          Hmm. Good to know.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by janetfdoss
            I want to be a professional runner and want some guidance to start with? What would be the start of my career? Guide me once i will pick the grip soon in running and then show up myself in national marathon race.
            Start by running around the block. Then run around 2 blocks. Then 3 and so on.

You're welcome.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
              Start by running around the block. Then run around 2 blocks. Then 3 and so on.

You're welcome.
              That is more the start of her training. I would think her career would start with some crappy company sponsoring her, maybe a local port-a-potty or pest control company, then placing in some charity 5ks will start pulling in the big bucks.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

• Well, i think I've done my last marathon. I'm convinced that 200 lb bodies are just not compatible with fast marathons. The hydration/energy requirements are just too much. I've done high mileage plans, low mileage plans, and everything in between, and I'm just not going to get any faster. This last marathon I paced myself well, felt as good as I'd ever felt at mile 20 so I decided to pick the pace up a little. Within a quarter of a mile, I was sick. And the wheels just fell off. 3:30 was not going to happen, but 3:35 could have, I think. But that's still 20 minutes off of BQ time which is the whole reason I cared about time in the first place.

Beautiful course though and great company before and after though. And I just like being around runners. Triathletes are cool, cyclists are fine, but both tend to get gearhead-y. Runners are just having fun outside. I may do another marathon someday, but next time, it's just for fun. I'll buy my way into Boston, I guess.
                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                  Well, i think I've done my last marathon. I'm convinced that 200 lb bodies are just not compatible with fast marathons. The hydration/energy requirements are just too much. I've done high mileage plans, low mileage plans, and everything in between, and I'm just not going to get any faster. This last marathon I paced myself well, felt as good as I'd ever felt at mile 20 so I decided to pick the pace up a little. Within a quarter of a mile, I was sick. And the wheels just fell off. 3:30 was not going to happen, but 3:35 could have, I think. But that's still 20 minutes off of BQ time which is the whole reason I cared about time in the first place.

Beautiful course though and great company before and after though. And I just like being around runners. Triathletes are cool, cyclists are fine, but both tend to get gearhead-y. Runners are just having fun outside. I may do another marathon someday, but next time, it's just for fun. I'll buy my way into Boston, I guess.
                  Wait, you did a marathon recently? I don't think I knew that. Deets?

Comment

Well, i think I've done my last marathon. I'm convinced that 200 lb bodies are just not compatible with fast marathons. The hydration/energy requirements are just too much. I've done high mileage plans, low mileage plans, and everything in between, and I'm just not going to get any faster. This last marathon I paced myself well, felt as good as I'd ever felt at mile 20 so I decided to pick the pace up a little. Within a quarter of a mile, I was sick. And the wheels just fell off. 3:30 was not going to happen, but 3:35 could have, I think. But that's still 20 minutes off of BQ time which is the whole reason I cared about time in the first place.

Maybe a week in Europe just before wasn't the best training?
                    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                      Wait, you did a marathon recently? I don't think I knew that. Deets?
                      Yeah, Sunday. Beautiful weather, beautiful course finishing on Ventura Beach. Maybe I'll write up a race report if I get some time. The lack of organization was a little funny, but they can't all be St George.
                      On the whole, a definite must do race--just do the half.

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                      Maybe a week in Europe just before wasn't the best training?
                      Carb loading!
                      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• This article made me think of this thread

http://postgradproblems.com/shut-up-...your-marathon/
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I think I figured out what you're doing wrong!!!

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-te...20?lang=eng#17

Comment

• Running my second marathon this weekend. Two things I am trying to figure out still even thought the race is only 48 hours away.

This a downhill race that loses a lot of elevation. I am thinking of using the downhill to my advantage and running the first 1/2 and an easy pace, but also one that at least 30 sec/mile faster than my goal pace. Then my hope is that I can run somewhat close to my goal pace for the second half and limp home to a qualifying time. My friend has had bad experiences trying to do that and he says that I will fry my legs and not be able to run the second half. But we have done some good downhill training and I feel like I am as prepared as I could be. What are people's experience with steeper races?

Also due to the drop in elevation. It is forecast to be in the low 30's at race start, but could be almost 70 at the finish. Having a hard time deciding what to wear when it could warm up 40 degrees during the race. Have the trow away gloves and hat already, but thinking about wearing a long sleeve.

My wife, who is running this with me and will most likely beat me, has had knee pain for a while now. She got an MRI this week and they said she has partial tears of the MCL and PCL and minor stress fractures. So not it will be even more demoralizing when she beats me.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                              Running my second marathon this weekend. Two things I am trying to figure out still even thought the race is only 48 hours away.

This a downhill race that loses a lot of elevation. I am thinking of using the downhill to my advantage and running the first 1/2 and an easy pace, but also one that at least 30 sec/mile faster than my goal pace. Then my hope is that I can run somewhat close to my goal pace for the second half and limp home to a qualifying time. My friend has had bad experiences trying to do that and he says that I will fry my legs and not be able to run the second half. But we have done some good downhill training and I feel like I am as prepared as I could be. What are people's experience with steeper races?

Also due to the drop in elevation. It is forecast to be in the low 30's at race start, but could be almost 70 at the finish. Having a hard time deciding what to wear when it could warm up 40 degrees during the race. Have the trow away gloves and hat already, but thinking about wearing a long sleeve.

My wife, who is running this with me and will most likely beat me, has had knee pain for a while now. She got an MRI this week and they said she has partial tears of the MCL and PCL and minor stress fractures. So not it will be even more demoralizing when she beats me.
                              Ogden is mostly downhill. My best year, I ran at pace for the first 17-18 miles, then went for it. I had been reading Hal Higdon at the time, and based this on him saying that if you go fast early, you risk burning out with a lot of miles left and destroying your target time. If you hold pace early, you can decide whether or not to increase speed based on how you're feeling.

As for cold - one of the smartest things I did was to buy a pair of long cheap tube socks for $1, cut the toes off so I could pull my arms through and still wear my gloves, and use them for sleeves. Had no regrets when it was time to pull them off and toss them. This worked fine for me in low 40 degree temps. I know others who pick up cheap sweatshirts at a second hand store to start the race in, knowing they would discard it midway.

Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                                Ogden is mostly downhill. My best year, I ran at pace for the first 17-18 miles, then went for it. I had been reading Hal Higdon at the time, and based this on him saying that if you go fast early, you risk burning out with a lot of miles left and destroying your target time. If you hold pace early, you can decide whether or not to increase speed based on how you're feeling.

As for cold - one of the smartest things I did was to buy a pair of long cheap tube socks for $1, cut the toes off so I could pull my arms through and still wear my gloves, and use them for sleeves. Had no regrets when it was time to pull them off and toss them. This worked fine for me in low 40 degree temps. I know others who pick up cheap sweatshirts at a second hand store to start the race in, knowing they would discard it midway.

Good luck!
                                I was about to make the same suggestion of tube socks. My wife has done that for races, though I enjoy the cold. Low 30s would be pushing it, but once it hits high 30s or low 40s, I can do that in shorts all day long.
                                I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X