Emery The Younger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Imandlkasdjon is...and there are plenty of Cougar crazies that are freaking out about Nick on twitter. I actually think fan responses to Nick could be more detrimental to the program than Nick's little tantrum.
    If worked up means posting on this board being the extent of communication I am having over this issue, then yes, dammit, I am fired up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Falafel, I like you, but wow you can be really obtuse sometimes.

Nobody is getting worked up! We are commenting on Emery's continued poor judgement. He posted a tweet that resulted in a long string of angry replies by fans. He is doing damage to himself. End of story.
      I like you too. And I think you can be quite obstinate at times.

You think he is doing damage to himself. I think that's greatly overstating things. And I don't think writing "end of story" actually ends anything.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
        Once the coaches removed him from the program, he no longer has enough weight to drag the program anywhere. I understand not liking him, (NCAA investigations are never good) but his tweets at this point do nothing other than make certain fans angry. He has zero influence over recruits. Sure you can be angry, annoyed, bothered, or whatever emotion you wish to feel about it. I just don't know why anyone would ascribe any significance to what Nick Emery does at this point.
        You don't think it has the potential to impact future recruits when he spews his crap about the program?

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
          Now you're just being stubborn. I am always stubborn. Thus, we are on the cusp of a long exchange that no one else will likely ever read. But it goes like this:

1. He urges a recruit to go elsewhere--ANYWHERE-- other than BYU because the coaching staff is dishonest.
          2. He withdraws the tweet but never apologizes. It was a curious construction suggesting to me that he posted only to calm BYU fans down without ever needing to actually apologize.
          3. When the recruit chooses a different school he pointedly congratulates the kid (and is there some relationship there that would create an expectation of a public congratulation?) implicitly affirming his previously stated view of the BYU program.

Does it matter? No more than any of the crap we talk about here matters. Are we worked up? I am not, but some might be. ANd if they are they can easily justify it when a kid like that who took a free education from BYU, traveled the world representing the school, broke NCAA rules that resulted in injury to the school and his former teammates then turns on the program claiming the coaches are dishonest, presumably because they no longer wanted him. It is a bad look, might harm BYU recruiting, and makes him look incredibly selfish and childish.
          Thanks for the recap.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I don't. What's it going to do? Maybe they ask someone about it and they get more info - i.e., he was a gifted player who never really found his groove, did some things that cost the team 2 years worth of victories, and then was upset when a new coaching staff decided he didn't fit in their plans. Situation explained. No real damage done.

Now, if some kid was seriously considering BYU, heard the rumors, and then took BYU off the list without doing any additional research or asking the coaches about it, then I'm not sure we wanted that kind of knucklehead in the program.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Nope. I really don't think it has any impact. NCAA sanctions can absolutely have an impact, but some bitter tweets from an ex player who caused the NCAA violation? I don't think so.
              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Thanks for the recap.
                Sooooo . . . you agree? You're welcome.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

You are ignoring that the annoyance here isn't based on some speculative analysis, it is a tweet on the same topic, the same recruit, and promotes the same implicit criticism of the coaching staff.
                  I'm not ignoring it. I'm just stating that the people who are [mildly offended/pissed/outraged] are being oversensitive and vindictive. I get it. The little shit got support from the fans and program, and damn it, just because the coaching staff kicked his little entitled ass off the team doesn't mean he gets to criticize them for it publicly.

As grown men and women, I think most of us see Nick's behavior as self-destructive and ungrateful. But that's all it is. Had the fans ignored him, this would already be a non-issue. Instead, there are several twitter threads and front-page CB posts about it. And in my opinion, negative fan reactions are more detrimental than a pouting ex-player.
                  Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Sooooo . . . you agree? You're welcome.
                    I mean, no, not really.

You said:

1. He urges a recruit to go elsewhere--ANYWHERE-- other than BYU because the coaching staff is dishonest.

Agreed.

2. He withdraws the tweet but never apologizes. It was a curious construction suggesting to me that he posted only to calm BYU fans down without ever needing to actually apologize.

Does he need to apologize? Maybe he has good reasons for claiming the coaching staff was dishonest. Maybe Pope promised Emery he could stick around, but then cut him loose. I don't think we have any of these details (I could be wrong). Regardless, who does he need to apologize to? BYU? Pope? The "fanbase"?

3. When the recruit chooses a different school he pointedly congratulates the kid (and is there some relationship there that would create an expectation of a public congratulation?) implicitly affirming his previously stated view of the BYU program.

How did he "pointedly" congratulate the kid? What does that even mean? "Congrats on taking my advice and going ANYWHERE other than BYU!" All he said was "Congratulations! This is huge!" And as for public congratulations, or public comments for that matter, that is what twitter is all about. No prior personal relationship necessary to comment. People can tweet directly at the President of the United States and call him an intercoursing liar and scumbag piece of excrement (and they do, daily).

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      I mean, no, not really.

You said:

Agreed.

Does he need to apologize? Maybe he has good reasons for claiming the coaching staff was dishonest. Maybe Pope promised Emery he could stick around, but then cut him loose. I don't think we have any of these details (I could be wrong). Regardless, who does he need to apologize to? BYU? Pope? The "fanbase"?

How did he "pointedly" congratulate the kid? What does that even mean? "Congrats on taking my advice and going ANYWHERE other than BYU!" All he said was "Congratulations! This is huge!" And as for public congratulations, or public comments for that matter, that is what twitter is all about. No prior personal relationship necessary to comment. People can tweet directly at the President of the United States and call him an intercoursing liar and scumbag piece of excrement (and they do, daily).
                      You're just doing this on purpose. You're not disagreeing with the facts, just with my choice of adverbs. And you ignore the conclusion that the sequence shows he is a selfish jerk.

Twitter is a cesspool of lazy thinking and proof of poor judgment. Emery fits right in.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        You're just doing this on purpose. You're not disagreeing with the facts, just with my choice of adverbs. And you ignore the conclusion that the sequence shows he is a selfish jerk.

Twitter is a cesspool of lazy thinking and proof of poor judgment. Emery fits right in.
                        Just doing my best creekster impersonation.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          I mean, no, not really.

You said:

Agreed.

Love this workplace-friendly construction.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• This guy is a FPOS. Why is it more complicated than this? All these posts!
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                              This guy is a FPOS. Why is it more complicated than this? All these posts!
                              Ha! POTD.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                                This guy is a FPOS. Why is it more complicated than this? All these posts!
                                Cheering for a 22 year old to fail!

Comment

Working...
                                X