The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I remember when the NYT and Washington Post could claim with a straight face that they had no political bias. Those days are over. They are doing all they can to completely destroy Kavanaugh, professionally and personallhy. They are throwing everything available at him, front pages, the editorial pages, everywhere. He is being ridiculed for getting choked up talking about the tradition he shares with his father of keeping a calendar, he has been accused of being a closet alcoholic, in addition to a purjerier, sexually asaaulting a fifteen year old, and abatting gang rape. According to the NYT, his rage is not about defending himself against a terrible accusation, but all about white male rage at loss of privilege. The NYT, which I mainly read, makes the Wall Street Journal appear perfectly objective, whcih has caused me to pay more attention to the Journal than I have. I have for a couple of years been questioning whether the NYT lacks the temperament to be our nation’s leading newspaper. I think that the way Trump has overall impoverished our national discourse may be the biggest damage he’s done. We’re all in the gutter with him.

But of course the Left actually does see this nomination as an existentional struggle, so they are trying to succeed by any available means.
    Agreed.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      I remember when the NYT and Washington Post could claim with a straight face that they had no political bias. Those days are over. They are doing all they can to completely destroy Kavanaugh, professionally and personallhy. They are throwing everything available at him, front pages, the editorial pages, everywhere. He is being ridiculed for getting choked up talking about the tradition he shares with his father of keeping a calendar, he has been accused of being a closet alcoholic, in addition to a purjerier, sexually asaaulting a fifteen year old, and abatting gang rape. According to the NYT, his rage is not about defending himself against a terrible accusation, but all about white male rage at loss of privilege. The NYT, which I mainly read, makes the Wall Street Journal appear perfectly objective, whcih has caused me to pay more attention to the Journal than I have. I have for a couple of years been questioning whether the NYT lacks the temperament to be our nation’s leading newspaper. I think that the way Trump has overall impoverished our national discourse may be the biggest damage he’s done. We’re all in the gutter with him.

But of course the Left actually does see this nomination as an existentional struggle, so they are trying to succeed by any available means.
      The ACLU as well. Trump is not the cause, he is sure as hell speeding it on its merry way but Donald Trump is a symptom of our deeper problem. This is what we really want. SNL and late night comedy talk shows have been giving us what we want. Sure we recoil when a dirtbag like President Donald Trump makes fun of Dr Ford- but really President Trump is giving us what we want as does Kathy Griffin.
      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
        I wonder what kind of work arounds the left would try. Right now the right holds the majority and executive. Once it goes to the left, what will happen? The courts not limited to 9, right? Maybe they just add a couple more liberal judges.

Edit: Is it a simple majority to pass the change of the number of justices?
        As I understand, the make up of the judiciary other than the fact that the Supreme Court shall exist is up to Congress, so basic bill process as outlined by Schoolhouse Rock.
        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
          Good lord, reread my post. If the notes are relevant than yes, release that info. I said I don’t blame her just giving complete access to her psychological notes. How we see Kavanaugh’s medical records and any history of substance abuse treatment?
          Wouldn’t Kavs medical records already be part of the background check that was performed?
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
            I wonder what kind of work arounds the left would try. Right now the right holds the majority and executive. Once it goes to the left, what will happen? The courts not limited to 9, right? Maybe they just add a couple more liberal judges.

Edit: Is it a simple majority to pass the change of the number of justices?
            At one point in his presidency, FDR grew impatient with the SCOTUS so he launched an effort to change from 9 judges to 15 judges, thus allowing him to stack the court exactly as he pleased. Congress lost its mind, including members of his own party. If FDR failed, there is no way Trump could pull it off.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              Wouldn’t Kavs medical records already be part of the background check that was performed?
              He's only been background checked 6 times now in his career. They could have missed it.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                If the FBI missed a substance abuse treatment in Kavanaugh's past then they really aren't very good at this whole investigation/vetting thing.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  At one point in his presidency, FDR grew impatient with the SCOTUS so he launched an effort to change from 9 judges to 15 judges, thus allowing him to stack the court exactly as he pleased. Congress lost its mind, including members of his own party. If FDR failed, there is no way Trump could pull it off.
                  I remember reading that a while back. I'm suggesting that once the left holds the majority they'll try it.

Comment

I think the comment was in reference to when the Democrats control both Congress and the WH. I have read at least one article a while back recommending to Democrats to take this approach when they get the chance.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Kind of like how I said Ford didn't need to be interviewed by the FBI. What is there are other relevant bits of info in the records? You normally don't trust people with skin in the game to tell you what's in the documents.
                      I don’t think wondering the FBI as part of this intense hurried investigation wouldn’t have more questions and being puzzled that that Ford doesn’t voluntarily disclose all her therapy notes are the same at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        He's only been background checked 6 times now in his career. They could have missed it.
                        We know what’s on it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                          I think the comment was in reference to when the Democrats control both Congress and the WH. I have read at least one article a while back recommending to Democrats to take this approach when they get the chance.
                          Democrats controlled everything when FDR attempted it. And he was arguably one of the most popular presidents in history. Yet he still failed miserably.

This is crazy talk. They won't attempt that.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I don’t think wondering the FBI as part of this intense hurried investigation wouldn’t have more questions and being puzzled that that Ford doesn’t voluntarily disclose all her therapy notes are the same at all.
                            Of course you don't.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I think he was asking what would the next democratic president do if presented with a conservative majority that might endure for 20 years or so. As noted by someone else, the number of justices is a matter of congressional statute, not the constitution. And as you note, FDR did try to pack the court in order to make the court amenable to his expansion of federal powers in implementing the New Deal. FDR eventually got his way anyway due to attrition on the court and the dire needs of the country in the depression.

I doubt that anyone today would try to do that. Trump certainly could not pull it off, as you note, and I doubt any other president could in the foreseeable future. If we ever get to the point where packing the court does not generate overwhelming pushback, then the court's composition probably won't matter that much anyway. That said, the absolute fealty that so many people now feel towards the result rather than the process makes me think this day is much closer than I ever thought it would be during my life.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

How long should it take when there is such limited credibility to support any allegation? Frank, look around, other than intense Democrat partisans such as yourself the majority of people see this situation for what it is. A case of "she said-he said" with no support for any of the specific allegations. You folks can spin off into Brett Kavanaugh's drinking habits but there is no support, as in as none as there is to support the sexual assault allegations, that it was ever a problem. Retreat with honor bro, this thread alone indicates your side is losing people that are very favorably disposed. Seattle is giving your side a chance to admit you thought it was armmegeddon and that is why you went crazy..so jangle your jewels while your shakin' yours and tryin' to get it boys outa your heads!...or something like that as it has been a few years.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                                X